National Letter of Intent is replaced

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It makes me sick that money and greed is ruining the game I love and grew up with.

Money and greed in college athletics is nothing new. The NCAA and schools have been greedy for decades

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kdug said:

Money and greed in college athletics is nothing new. The NCAA and schools have been greedy for decades

The money was always there at the big time schools.  Was just speculated at though.  It is in a much worst place now though than it has ever been.  Not even remotely college athletics anymore.  Basically minor league sports.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It makes me sick that money and greed is ruining the game I love and grew up with.

Money and greed have certainly done damage, but in this case, it's more about how college athletics used to be run by adults, and now it's run by the players. It used to be that players had to adapt to the coaches and what they wanted to do; now the coaches have to adapt to the players and how they want to be utilized. 

The letter of intent is going away because it no longer has any teeth. If a guy wants to leave and the program won't let him, that coach and program get destroyed on social media. So they cave and let the players do what they want. This is what college sports have become. 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Money and greed have certainly done damage, but in this case, it's more about how college athletics used to be run by adults, and now it's run by the players. It used to be that players had to adapt to the coaches and what they wanted to do; now the coaches have to adapt to the players and how they want to be utilized. 

The letter of intent is going away because it no longer has any teeth. If a guy wants to leave and the program won't let him, that coach and program get destroyed on social media. So they cave and let the players do what they want. This is what college sports have become. 

Yup, so they are adding contracts which is going to tie the players hands.  They will need to start hiring agents and lawyers to ensure the contract is fair and vise versa.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The money was always there at the big time schools.  Was just speculated at though.  It is in a much worst place now though than it has ever been.  Not even remotely college athletics anymore.  Basically minor league sports.

Players getting paid doesn’t bother me in the slightest. What’s the difference between a Big Ten or SEC school spending tens of millions of dollars on unnecessarily lavish facilities vs spending that money on the players who are creating the product?

Figuring out the constant transfers is the bigger issue imo.

• Like 1

For me as I try and maintain some semblance of balance, it still comes back to the team makeup for me to continue on as a fan! I posted earlier in another thread how IU had two 5star players whose parents were heavily involved in their recruitment for the RIGHT reasons and they chose IU! Those are the kind of players I can still root for no matter how much money they are making!

• Like 2

On 10/10/2024 at 10:12 PM, Kdug said:

Players getting paid doesn’t bother me in the slightest. What’s the difference between a Big Ten or SEC school spending tens of millions of dollars on unnecessarily lavish facilities vs spending that money on the players who are creating the product?

Figuring out the constant transfers is the bigger issue imo.

Devil's advocate?  Because all of that has absolutely zero to do with education. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Devil's advocate?  Because all of that has absolutely zero to do with education. 

Well yeah. That’s the case with every change with college athletics in the last 25 years.

Edit - I’ll add the one change that has a tiny bit to do with education is the transfer portal rules. You could argue that it makes it easier for someone to change schools if they realize the major they picked at their initial school isn’t a fit. And that’s the rule that’s probably most hated by fans.

Edited by Kdug
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Well yeah. That’s the case with every change with college athletics in the last 25 years.

Edit - I’ll add the one change that has a tiny bit to do with education is the transfer portal rules. You could argue that it makes it easier for someone to change schools if they realize the major they picked at their initial school isn’t a fit. And that’s the rule that’s probably most hated by fans.

Honestly, I still watch but it hasn't felt the same for awhile.  Maybe that is because we haven't been as good as we have in the past (I think that plays a part) but for me the other part is that what I used to enjoy was the different teams having some different looks and watching them grow into something.  Lately this has felt like the G League with an IU slapped on it.  The players are in and out, you don't have time to really care much for them.  And they come with their hands out, which from their perspective I get, make the money you can, but....I don't know, bah humbug to it all.

If there was any sanity left, these semi-pro teams should be cut loose from the schools or the NCAA should really lose its tax exempt status.  It is a pro sports league.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Honestly, I still watch but it hasn't felt the same for awhile.  Maybe that is because we haven't been as good as we have in the past (I think that plays a part) but for me the other part is that what I used to enjoy was the different teams having some different looks and watching them grow into something.  Lately this has felt like the G League with an IU slapped on it.  The players are in and out, you don't have time to really care much for them.  And they come with their hands out, which from their perspective I get, make the money you can, but....I don't know, bah humbug to it all.

If there was any sanity left, these semi-pro teams should be cut loose from the schools or the NCAA should really lose its tax exempt status.  It is a pro sports league.

I hate what college athletics have become. It feels increasingly like the NFL/NBA every day. In the past, I had get familiar with two maybe three new players each year. Now IU basketball is a nearly new team each year. The portal is NBA free agency without the contracts. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I hate what college athletics have become. It feels increasingly like the NFL/NBA every day. In the past, I had get familiar with two maybe three new players each year. Now IU basketball is a nearly new team each year. The portal is NBA free agency without the contracts. 

Between the portal and conference realignment it is harder every year to know who plays for each team. In the past with knowing each team and reading about 3 pre season magazines it helped you know every teams roster.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Agree and that is why I’ve totally lost interest in the Olympics. I don’t care to watch LeBron and Doncic play exhibition games. Same for the other sports except curling. 😀

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Between the portal and conference realignment it is harder every year to know who plays for each team. In the past with knowing each team and reading about 3 pre season magazines it helped you know every teams roster.

I'm right there with you. Admittedly, I go back to the 50s and 60s with what I remember. But, I don't even recognize college basketball these days.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Agree and that is why I’ve totally lost interest in the Olympics. I don’t care to watch LeBron and Doncic play exhibition games. Same for the other sports except curling. 😀

I'm with you on that. I didn't watch a single minute of the Olympic basketball team mainly because I really disliked most of that team

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the NCAA has no pulse.  They’ve been a bleep up for decades.  Their lack of proactiveness caused them to always lose court cases.  Now they are invisible on all the chaos.  

Here are a few ideas.  

1.  They are academic institutions.  They can leverage academic standards to improve the rules.  Players want to get paid but they have to navigate academics.  The NCAA is not properly using this to their advantage.  
2.  College sports involve competition by their nature.  No sport in the world can function without rules of competition. They just have to avoid restraining economics for the players unreasonably.  
3.  I would use the academic standards and rules of competition to get on top of the current chaos.  
4.  No transfer portal mid semester.  It’s easy because you can point out that it’s in the academic interest.  
5.  Form highly restrictive academic rules on transfers.  It’s not like a regular student majoring in chemistry can just switch schools without a high degree of complexity.  Adopt strict rules.  This isn’t the G league.  These kids are student athletes.  Bring the student part  back into it.  Regular students don’t just transfer like they’re changing their shirt the way athletes do.  
6.  Regarding contracts instead of the NLI, create a written body of guidelines.  Maybe multi-year deals.  Maybe some obligations on the part of students.  If not in compliance, you can’t transfer.  You have to give money back if you leave early.  Create contractual incentives to curtail crazy decommitments.  
7.  For example, let’s say you sign an agreement with a school.  You can’t leave for a year unless something gets triggered like the coach leaves.  You can only leave if certain academic standards are met and you can’t hit the portal mid-semester.  
8.  No four game grace period on a redshirt unless you are a freshman or you get an injury waiver.  Or do away with the rule because it’s been abused.  That abuse greatly outweighs the tiny benefit of the player getting some benefit of getting game action.  
9.  The four game rule  should be made consistent in basketball.   If you keep the rule, let basketball players play in 25% of the games the same way.   Luke Goode would be an example of a kid who would have benefited.  
10.  I did this off the top of my head in ten minutes.  Imagine what a large organization could do after years of living through it and having time to focus on it and develop a plan. It’s absurd how they have allowed this morass to be created without any pushback.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3