UCLA Game Thread

Hoosierfan1901

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

“You can just tell things are just way different on both sides of the ball and special teams. Coaches demand perfection every single play and that leads to Saturday,” Ferrell said.-

"Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence." 
Vince Lombardi

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

Random thoughts about the entire weekend in Pasadena:

• Pasadena is a really nice city! Very clean and I felt safe wandering around at all times of the day. Some really neat building architecture and greenery, Green Street in particular had super cool trees lining the streets. 
  • Had many interesting conversations with fellow IU fans across the country through the entire weekend, at every single airport along the way in addition to the hotel, the bars I visited and the IU fans around me in the stands (my side of the stadium definitely had more red than blue).
  • UCLA student section sucked (they were directly in front of me), they barely seemed interested in the game. In general, it felt like the UCLA fans knew they were going to lose and I felt a sense of defeat from them almost immediately.
  • The IU alumni event was awesome, I heard over 1000 people attended! I saw Jared Jeffries and Dean Garrett hanging out. Also saw Galen Clavio both at the event and at the game (for those that are not familiar, he has an awesome YouTube channel where he uploads old IU games and also does a podcast as part of the Back Home Network). The value was insane too, $30 for as much food and drink as you could handle (only exception was liquor cost extra).
  • The seats at the Rose Bowl are painted pink and very, very narrow. Definitely could tell this stadium was built in an age when Americans were less fat. I've lost 100 pounds and it still felt very uncomfortable.
  • The layout of the Rose Bowl seemed really good in terms of restrooms, concessions, etc. Never had to deal with much of a long line for anything at any time of the game.
  • The game program they sold was a joke. Only $5 at least, but other than the cover there was no mention of IU in the entire thing, not even a basic roster or depth chart. Still will look nice on my shelf as a collectible though.

Overall, 10/10 experience and I could see myself making the trip again in the future even if there is no football game.

Glad you had a great time. SoCal has a lot of things to like...every time I've been there the weather was perfect, the scenery is nice, and lots to do... I'm not gonna list it out, but my favorite place was Venice Beach...the "weird factor" is off the charts 🙂

• Like 1

Here is another thing that was so cool, when I was flying out of Fort Wayne on Friday morning, I sat next to an older woman on the plane and we struck up a conversation. I told her my plans, and turns out she attended the 1968 Rose Bowl! She was not headed to Pasadena, but asked what time the game kicked off and she said she would be watching on TV.

What are the odds? 

Edited by bronkonagurski
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

Random thoughts about the entire weekend in Pasadena:

• Pasadena is a really nice city! Very clean and I felt safe wandering around at all times of the day. Some really neat building architecture and greenery, Green Street in particular had super cool trees lining the streets. 
  • Had many interesting conversations with fellow IU fans across the country through the entire weekend, at every single airport along the way in addition to the hotel, the bars I visited and the IU fans around me in the stands (my side of the stadium definitely had more red than blue).
  • UCLA student section sucked (they were directly in front of me), they barely seemed interested in the game. In general, it felt like the UCLA fans knew they were going to lose and I felt a sense of defeat from them almost immediately.
  • The IU alumni event was awesome, I heard over 1000 people attended! I saw Jared Jeffries and Dean Garrett hanging out. Also saw Galen Clavio both at the event and at the game (for those that are not familiar, he has an awesome YouTube channel where he uploads old IU games and also does a podcast as part of the Back Home Network). The value was insane too, $30 for as much food and drink as you could handle (only exception was liquor cost extra).
  • The seats at the Rose Bowl are painted pink and very, very narrow. Definitely could tell this stadium was built in an age when Americans were less fat. I've lost 100 pounds and it still felt very uncomfortable.
  • The layout of the Rose Bowl seemed really good in terms of restrooms, concessions, etc. Never had to deal with much of a long line for anything at any time of the game.
  • The game program they sold was a joke. Only $5 at least, but other than the cover there was no mention of IU in the entire thing, not even a basic roster or depth chart. Still will look nice on my shelf as a collectible though.

Overall, 10/10 experience and I could see myself making the trip again in the future even if there is no football game.

re: the student section, UCLA students don’t return for the fall semester until 9/23 with classes starting 9/26.  Not even a full 3 month semester.  This is almost a full 6 weeks after IU students started back.

Edited by CTrojan88
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CTrojan88 said:

re: the student section, UCLA students don’t return for the fall semester until 9/23 with classes starting 9/26.  Not even a full 3 month semester.  This is almost a full 6 weeks after IU students started back.

Good info! It still seemed like they filled that section with what I would judge to be a college age crowd.