2024- 2025 Team News and Discussion

13 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

That’s a good start. But that’s far from “the big boys.”

He’s making 4.25 million.

if he gets to 10 wins (very possible) or 11 with an upset of Michigan…

he should get a bump to 7 million plus the 500,000 PLUS another 1.5 million for his staff. 

plus double whatever their recruiting budget it… because I know without looking it isn’t in the top half of the big ten which is chump change compared to the SEC…

PLUS

he should have a seat at the table for any discussions for major renovations of facilities starting immediately.

this is a coach potentially that an IU has a shot at once every 40-50 years.

this is borderline blank check time. Virtually anything he wants within reason he should get. OR the administrators are saying “a good FB team is super fun, but NOT a priority.”

it’s that simple.

7,000,000 is modest IF the coach you have you believe can take your program to places it’s never been. Don’t split hairs over a million. PAY. UP.

i agree the contract should be $500,000 if he gets to 6 wins. So if he gets to 10 you tear that sucker up and blow the doors off. Make a statement.

I agree.  Kirk Ferentz type numbers or better and the same for his assistant coaches comparable to Iowa.  

FB is a priority above all else.  Even BB.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

he should get a bump to 7 million plus the 500,000 PLUS another 1.5 million for his staff. 

plus double whatever their recruiting budget it… because I know without looking it isn’t in the top half of the big ten which is chump change compared to the SEC…

PLUS

he should have a seat at the table for any discussions for major renovations of facilities starting immediately.

this is borderline blank check time. Virtually anything he wants within reason he should get. OR the administrators are saying “a good FB team is super fun, but NOT a priority.”

it’s that simple.

7,000,000 is modest IF the coach you have you believe can take your program to places it’s never been. Don’t split hairs over a million. PAY. UP.

i agree the contract should be $500,000 if he gets to 6 wins. So if he gets to 10 you tear that sucker up and blow the doors off. Make a statement.

Yes, because he has a proven track record to go with the hot start at IU. Not a fluke. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TiminNC said:

I agree.  Kirk Ferentz type numbers or better and the same for his assistant coaches comparable to Iowa.  

FB is a priority above all else.  Even BB.  

Excellent additional point. FB thrives…basketball even better. FB pays the bills.

you break the bank for this guy and push all the poker chips in for whatever he wants

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

PLUS

it’s that simple.

Not saying this is the case what so ever, buuuut this is the exact position IU was in with Allen, and everyone was complaining about it after the fact. His contract got jacked up after 1 good season in 2020, and 8 months ago everyone was calling for Dolsons head. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Not saying this is the case what so ever, buuuut this is the exact position IU was in with Allen, and everyone was complaining about it after the fact. His contract got jacked up after 1 good season in 2020, and 8 months ago everyone was calling for Dolsons head. 

Heres my take, and what I think a school needs to do with a coach like they have and or must do.

1.) give him and his staff a HEFTY raise making him at least paid in the top 1/3 of the Big Ten.

2.) put in a ton of incentives at varying levels that if he got them all he’d be the highest paid that year in the Big Ten. Some reasonable goals some lofty some crazy.

3.) put in a fairly big but not outrageous buy out and accept if he’s a flop you’re just gonna have to accept you screwed the pooch, but the other option you can’t afford. You have to take that risk.

18 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Heres my take, and what I think a school needs to do with a coach like they have and or must do.

1.) give him and his staff a HEFTY raise making him at least paid in the top 1/3 of the Big Ten.

2.) put in a ton of incentives at varying levels that if he got them all he’d be the highest paid that year in the Big Ten. Some reasonable goals some lofty some crazy.

3.) put in a fairly big but not outrageous buy out and accept if he’s a flop you’re just gonna have to accept you screwed the pooch, but the other option you can’t afford. You have to take that risk.

I agree with that, but there are two parties to the contract. We can put all of these if, ands, and buts in it. He has to agree with it.

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

I agree with that, but there are two parties to the contract. We can put all of these if, ands, and buts in it. He has to agree with it.

100% that’s why I gave ranges in there. But yes totally. But I think if you paid him and locked him up with a top 5 salary in the Big like THIS season with a modest but fair buyout, PLUS added incentives that could lead him to as much as the highest paid in a given year in the conference that would be pretty hard to turn down. But would keep the buyout typical and not so much it would kill the department where they’re stuck with him. There’s a way to make it so he virtually csnt say “no” but at the same time lock him up, and at the same time save a little just in case it blows up in your face. But an IU has to gamble in FB and has the money to do so but doesn’t have the clout to pull in a big name coach.

its a station just like THIS one that have to seal up.

Bleacher Report ranks Kurtis Rourke as the #12 QB in college football, just behind Drew Allar. 

12. Kurtis Rourke, Indiana (Previous: 18)

Stats: 93-of-127, 1,372 yards, 11 TD, 2 INT; 46 rush yards, 2 TD

Rourke came out on the winning end of Saturday's matchup against Billy Edwards Jr. when he threw for 359 yards and three touchdowns, though he also threw his first two interceptions of the year. The Ohio University transfer threw for 7,651 yards and 50 touchdowns in five years before hitting the transfer portal during the offseason.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10137313-college-football-2024-power-ranking-top-25-quarterbacks-after-week-5?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Heard McCulley is going into the transfer portal 

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For the first time in a long time if kids want to leave this operation....so be it. I get why they are doing so to preserve a chance at loot or playing time but whatever. Get on board or hit the road.

Indication of how much the receiver room was upgraded this season. 2 receptions for 21 yards and hasn't been missed. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Reacher said:

Coach Cig seems to really like Bostad.  They are like two peas in a pod as to how to coach football.  You can see the respect.  

Iron sharpens iron. Having both units practice against each other, and our coaching for both fronts, have been big differentiators from the past.  

Isn’t it a great feeling to know, that on offense, we aren’t going to see 2 yd screen passes 12 times a game? Isn’t it great seeing a diverse route tree and protection to let the receivers run the route and get open? The offensive play calling has been wonderful to watch this far. 

ive also taken note of the fact that this playbook hasn’t been opened completely yet. I know we are saving schemes that coaches know will work against certain coverages that the big boys will throw at us. It’s just nice to have a belief that we have a wide open playbook and nothing hindering that success (o-line, qb, etc.). Just fun to see. 

Edited by kycarter88
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, kycarter88 said:

Isn’t it a great feeling to know, that on offense, we aren’t going to see 2 yd screen passes 12 times a game? Isn’t it great seeing a diverse route tree and protection to let the receivers run the route and get open? The offensive play calling has been wonderful to watch this far. 

ive also taken note of the fact that this playbook hasn’t been opened completely yet. I know we are saving schemes that coaches know will work against certain coverages that the big boys will throw at us. It’s just nice to have a belief that we have a wide open playbook and nothing hindering that success (o-line, qb, etc.). Just fun to see. 

I also feel that we are working with an OC and DC that have similar strengths and coaching abilities like former OC, DeBore and DC, Wommack. In addition to that, we have highly gifted and skilled coaching in several other positions too. This was something that couldn't have been said with the old regime. If anything, we had holes at various positional coaching spots on the team. JMO

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I also feel that we are working with an OC and DC that have similar strengths and coaching abilities like former OC, DeBore and DC, Wommack. In addition to that, we have highly gifted and skilled coaching in several other positions too. This was something that couldn't have been said with the old regime. If anything, we had holes at various positional coaching spots on the team. JMO

Still early-ish, but has IU had such overall soundness in all 3 phases of the game to this degree at any point ever in the modern era? Have the significant contributions ever been distributed this evenly between as many players? 

Recalling random years of sitting and thinking "If only the _________ (insert any facet) phase was up to par with the rest, this team might actually have a chance to contend." like @kycarter88 alluded to.

Synergy of having all-around balance and no one piece being greater than the whole sure seems different to me. Down to the "eye test", game in game out this year. Difference in this case certainly indicates a level we are not familiar with. The fact we are not familiar with the current heights in a year 1 scenario bodes well.  Starts at the top with the hires so you're both spot on! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree completely.  And they “get” complementary football.  There are NFL staffs that don’t get this.  You get a head coach calling plays with no correlation to a coherent plan between offense and defense.  

Cignetti and his staff understand all this.  Look at how the units react to each other.  It’s synergistic and not separate.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, kycarter88 said:

If you want 2 yard screen passes 20x a game without any middle or screens or misdirection.....watch the Bears on Sunday. Haha.

To keep it on point though. Nothing better than knowing a Coach is finally at the helm. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1