2025 C 7-footer Eric Reibe Commits to UConn

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I see a lot more playing time at IU than UCONN but they are the better program right now.

I also saw KU get a crystal ball pick for Tiller so that might be another big we lose out on.

IU is going to miss on both

Just now, IU Scott said:

I guess it will be mainly the portal again this year. I am still not a fan of having to over turn the roster every year through the portal.

But you keep defending Woodson when he doesn’t get high school kids. 🤔 I’m not choosing a side here as I think both are important and thinks he did enough work this past offseason to deserve a delay in judgment until after this next season is over. However, I’ll be highly disappointed to miss on all of Haralson, Reibe, and Mullins (especially Mullins). I know we’ve gotten a few big guys in the past, half seem to have solely been due to money. This has already been hashed out, not interested in debating it further. But to me, there certainly seems to be a disconnect, especially given the fact we do have a ton of NIL money to spend. Optimistic about this coming year, but concerned about the future. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

But you keep defending Woodson when he doesn’t get high school kids. 🤔 I’m not choosing a side here as I think both are important and thinks he did enough work this past offseason to deserve a delay in judgment until after this next season is over. However, I’ll be highly disappointed to miss on all of Haralson, Reibe, and Mullins (especially Mullins). I know we’ve gotten a few big guys in the past, half seem to have solely been due to money. This has already been hashed out, not interested in debating it further. But to me, there certainly seems to be a disconnect, especially given the fact we do have a ton of NIL money to spend. Optimistic about this coming year, but concerned about the future. 

And I don’t get what high school bigs are missing in their thought process. Clearly our skill set is developing bigs. Maybe after this year it changes if we get Ballo drafted higher than projected? 

• Like 1

I know we have to high school recruits. I also know the importance of in state high school recruits. I also know that we have a roster full of talent....some might be leaving, some might not be....and if we miss who we are projected to miss on we have (based on numbers floating around) about $2-$2.5M in cap space this Spring. 

Time for the season to begin soon!

I really believe the perception of the big ten is really hurting the conferences recruiting. I see MSU struggling getting top rated recruits and see very little top prospects picking big ten teams. The conference really needs to be serious about changing that perception because bright now top recruits don't want to play this style. I am hoping with the 4 former PAC 12 schools will help change the style of play and hope Woodson is serious about playing up tempo 

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I really believe the perception of the big ten is really hurting the conferences recruiting. I see MSU struggling getting top rated recruits and see very little top prospects picking big ten teams. The conference really needs to be serious about changing that perception because bright now top recruits don't want to play this style. I am hoping with the 4 former PAC 12 schools will help change the style of play and hope Woodson is serious about playing up tempo 

I watch a lot of games from different conferences, and I just don’t see much difference in overall playing style.  You have your Iowas and North Carolinas in every conference, and you have your Wisconsins and Virginias and Notre Dames in every conference.  The numbers just aren’t really different overall.  But I think it’s something where if you say it enough times and negatively recruit it enough times, it becomes “truth,” so to speak.  So if that’s why we’re losing recruits, somebody needs to do a lot better job of showing them game film and metrics.  And by the way, Cronin at UCLA plays as slow as anybody that’s been in the Big Ten.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, IUJoe said:

I watch a lot of games from different conferences, and I just don’t see much difference in overall playing style.  You have your Iowas and North Carolinas in every conference, and you have your Wisconsins and Virginias and Notre Dames in every conference.  The numbers just aren’t really different overall.  But I think it’s something where if you say it enough times and negatively recruit it enough times, it becomes “truth,” so to speak.  So if that’s why we’re losing recruits, somebody needs to do a lot better job of showing them game film and metrics.  And by the way, Cronin at UCLA plays as slow as anybody that’s been in the Big Ten.

To me the big ten mainly have trouble getting the big wings or the stretch 4 type of players. I think the big ten allows more physicality than other leagues.  I also see more big ten teams playing through the post as well. I have heard a few recruiting guys say they have talked to recruits and they bring that up about big ten.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I liked this post so much I had to quote it, not just hit like. It echoes my own thoughts on recruiting, this upcoming season, and Woody perfectly. The last line hit hard. Well done. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

28 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I liked this post so much I had to quote it, not just hit like. It echoes my own thoughts on recruiting, this upcoming season, and Woody perfectly. The last line hit hard. Well done. 

I would encourage everyone to listen to the Cig interview in the 2024-25 thread. He said you build your team continuity through HS recruiting and address needs and depth through the portal. He is all about plan and process. Unfortunately, I can’t identify either with the bball program 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

maybe its because Izzo and Woodson are old as dirt and 17 year old kids dont want to play for gandpa.

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2024 at 2:16 PM, IU Scott said:

I guess it will be mainly the portal again this year. I am still not a fan of having to over turn the roster every year through the portal.

Getting Freshmen doesn't prevent having to to do this, you're going to need to hit the portal every year, some years just harder than others. As we've seen, having kids signed doesn't even matter anymore. I know everyone is disappointed with not getting these kids, as am I, but it's just the nature of the beast these days. I am trying not to get too caught up in recruiting, only who's on the team and playing. I am no ride or die with Woody guy, but recruiting is really crazy these days for many reasons, so to try an pinpoint exactly why a kid doesn't commit is pretty difficult. The long and short of it is (as with ANY coach) winning helps recruiting. We need to win more consistently to recruit more consistently. Whether that's with Woody or not, I really couldn't care less to be honest. Just win baby. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 3