Big Ten Basketball 2024-2025

6 hours ago, Courtsense2 said:

I wonder how much the back court will tick up given the increased defensive pressure they will see.

That's the question...I'm sure they'll both be shooting more, but will they be as efficient?

Purdue's scoring has to come from somewhere...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Why you should take internet "journalism" with a grain of salt  :) 

"Edey was the only major departure for Purdue. Lance Jones, who was a great sixth-man off the bench for the team last year graduated."

image.png.56647732b06f1dfeba2155a01db34068.png

In fact, Purdue was the only Big 10 team that had the same starting 5 (Edey, Smith, Loyer, Jones, and TKR) for every game of the season..

anyone with a keyboard. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2024 at 9:22 AM, IUFLA said:

Why you should take internet "journalism" with a grain of salt  :) 

"Edey was the only major departure for Purdue. Lance Jones, who was a great sixth-man off the bench for the team last year graduated."

image.png.56647732b06f1dfeba2155a01db34068.png

In fact, Purdue was the only Big 10 team that had the same starting 5 (Edey, Smith, Loyer, Jones, and TKR) for every game of the season..

image.thumb.png.bb0e9bc102efcc180ec29bba4d8654d1.png

• Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 8:37 AM, ledies22 said:

dont be a douche.

He’s a matchup nightmare as a 4 

3’s in college are just big guards for most teams

He has the same issue guys like Vince, Robbie & Gillis had trying to play the 3 

Still think he blows up…17+ ppg 

On 8/9/2024 at 5:32 PM, IUFLA said:

That's the question...I'm sure they'll both be shooting more, but will they be as efficient?

Purdue's scoring has to come from somewhere...

If they  have to shoot more because nobody steps up it will crush efficiency 

Smith & Loyer don’t force shots and are proficient running sets 

Kinda like TG last year….had to take more shots and defensive attention 

On 8/16/2024 at 12:35 PM, Purdue7 said:

He’s a matchup nightmare as a 4 

3’s in college are just big guards for most teams

He has the same issue guys like Vince, Robbie & Gillis had trying to play the 3 

Still think he blows up…17+ ppg 

i was talking about your 4 tacos comment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

At the end, when speaking of Rutgers, Torvik says "Steve Pikiell is a great coach.:

As I said in the other thread, here's his record at Rutgers...

image.thumb.png.610d7e17301b446036de8ede14704a55.png

Coupled with 63-95 in Big 10 play and never close to a Big 10 Championship (highest finish was 4th)

At the vast majority of Big 10 schools, Pikiell would be job hunting right now...I understand that Rutgers doesn't have much of a basketball history, but come on...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

At the end, when speaking of Rutgers, Torvik says "Steve Pikiell is a great coach.:

Coupled with 63-95 in Big 10 play and never close to a Big 10 Championship (highest finish was 4th)

At the vast majority of Big 10 schools, Pikiell would be job hunting right now...I understand that Rutgers doesn't have much of a basketball history, but come on...

Amazing the number of coaches who get 7 years on the job in the Big 10 and yet they still get referred to as a good Coach. Our league is full of a few of them. Why not Pikiell? Haha.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I mean it’s Rutgers. Before Pikiell, Rutgers had last made the tourney in 90-91. That’s also the last year Rutgers had a winning record in conference before Pikiell. His big ten record is also skewed because of the first few years, where he took over a truly horrendous team that went 1-17 in the Big Ten the prior year.

Idk if I’d call him a great coach, but he’s a great coach for Rutgers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I mean it’s Rutgers. Before Pikiell, Rutgers had last made the tourney in 90-91. That’s also the last year Rutgers had a winning record in conference before Pikiell. His big ten record is also skewed because of the first few years, where he took over a truly horrendous team that went 1-17 in the Big Ten the prior year.

Hence my last sentence...

But seriously, is there another Big 10 team that wouldn't have canned him by now with that record? I can't think of one...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Hence my last sentence...

But seriously, is there another Big 10 team that wouldn't have canned him by now with that record? I can't think of one...

I think all of NW, Nebraska, Minnesota and Penn State would gladly take Rutgers’ record under Pikiell. I.e. any of the other programs of Rutgers’ caliber.

I just think he’s done a pretty good job considering the program and circumstances. This year should be telling though. He actually has high level talent, so it should be a good test for if he can take a team to a higher level than low end tourney team.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kdug said:

I think all of NW, Nebraska, Minnesota and Penn State would gladly take Rutgers’ record under Pikiell. I.e. any of the other programs of Rutgers’ caliber.

I just think he’s done a pretty good job considering the program and circumstances. This year should be telling though. He actually has high level talent, so it should be a good test for if he can take a team to a higher level than low end tourney team.

I'll give you Northwestern and Penn State...the Wildcats hung on to Bill Carmody way too long, and to be honest, Chris Collins wouldn't have gotten the long leash he's enjoyed at a lot of schools. The Nittany Lions found an excuse to let Pat Chambers go...but I'd think Tim Miles at Nebraska and Richard Pitino at Minny would disagree...both had records similar to Pikiell and both got their pink slips within 8 years...

I think a lot of IU fans think Pikiell is a good coach simply because he's had our number...he's 9-4 against us...54-88 (.380) against every other conference team...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'll give you Northwestern and Penn State...the Wildcats hung on to Bill Carmody way too long, and to be honest, Chris Collins wouldn't have gotten the long leash he's enjoyed at a lot of schools. The Nittany Lions found an excuse to let Pat Chambers go...but I'd think Tim Miles at Nebraska and Richard Pitino at Minny would disagree...both had records similar to Pikiell and both got their pink slips within 8 years...

I think a lot of IU fans think Pikiell is a good coach simply because he's had our number...he's 9-4 against us...54-88 (.380) against every other conference team...

I think a lot of IU fans think he’s a good coach because he’s been .500 in conference over the last 5 years at a school with limited resources and basically no history of success in basketball - while IU has had a worse record during that span. His overall conference record is bad because Rutgers was very bad during his first 3 years (and the 25 years before that).

Again, all of this is at Rutgers, which basically has the same history as IU football. Seriously, when Rutgers went 7-13 in the B10 during Piekiell’s 3rd year in conference, that was the best conference record they’d had in 13 years.

FWIW, the last 5 years of Miles Neb had a .391 win rate and the last 5 years of Pitino Minny had a .395 win rate. If either of those guys went .500 and made the tourney 3 out of 5 years (giving credit for 2020), then I doubt they get fired. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I think a lot of IU fans think he’s a good coach because he’s been .500 in conference over the last 5 years at a school with limited resources and basically no history of success in basketball - while IU has had a worse record during that span. His overall conference record is bad because Rutgers was very bad during his first 3 years (and the 25 years before that).

Again, all of this is at Rutgers, which basically has the same history as IU football. Seriously, when Rutgers went 7-13 in the B10 during Piekiell’s 3rd year in conference, that was the best conference record they’d had in 13 years.

FWIW, the last 5 years of Miles Neb had a .391 win rate and the last 5 years of Pitino Minny had a .395 win rate. If either of those guys went .500 and made the tourney 3 out of 5 years (giving credit for 2020), then I doubt they get fired. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. 

We can revisit at the end of this year...

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kdug said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that Rutgers will have eight freshmen on their roster this season. It's well known that they are behind other B1G schools in NIL money. Out of what they're getting it appears that Schiano has been the biggest beneficiary. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2024 at 9:04 AM, ledies22 said:

i was talking about your 4 tacos comment.

Come on…..it’s pretty tame 

Just like Haas/STD or Floppy/Loyer…Trevion/🍟 Zach/Lurch hard to argue 

I’m sure he got a lot worse from his teammates 

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that Rutgers will have eight freshmen on their roster this season. It's well known that they are behind other B1G schools in NIL money. Out of what they're getting it appears that Schiano has been the biggest beneficiary. 

I think they got a rich alum to fund the recruitment of Harper & Bailey?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10132439-cbb-coach-says-player-asked-for-5m-nil-contract-77-have-gotten-requests-for-1m

3 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Possibly, but it's fairly widely reported that HS players cost much less than transfers. Don't know how this translates to highest rated HS players. I'm sure Cooper Flagg would be an exception.