Big Ten Basketball 2024-2025

33 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Considering the talent on our roster 4th seems low, but until we prove it on the court that’s probably where we belong.

Agree with this, but the same thing about proving it could be said about other teams!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Inside the Hall Big 10 Power Rankings

SMH

Starts out kinda wonky saying...

"The case against Minnesota: The Gophers lost arguably their three best players – Payne, Hawkins and Christie – which is a lot to overcome."

Uh, I'd think anyone who watched a minute of Minnesota basketball last year would say the guy who led the Gophers in scoring and rebounding, Dawson Garcia (who is returning), was their best player...But that's me...

He puts IU 4th behind Purdue, UCLA, and Illinois (🤣)...

Alrighty then...

What I can’t see is Purdue at #1…just isn’t happening this year.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

What I can’t see is Purdue at #1…just isn’t happening this year.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I see them and us as the top two teams

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Maybe, but I don’t even see them in the top 3 this year…more like 4-5 range.

I think a lot of it depends on whether people think TKR, Heide, and Colvin can replace the 44 points a game that left with Edey, Jones, and Gillis...

I know Loyer and Smith's averages will tick up, but that's an awful lot of production to replace...

Edited by IUFLA

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think a lot of it depends on whether people think TKR, Heide, and Colvin can replace the 44 points a game that left with Edey, Jones, and Gillis...

I know Loyer and Smith's averages will tick up, but that's an awful lot of production to replace...

Every season is different do what happened last year doesn't effect this year. I remember the season after Ralph Sampson left UVA they went to the final after beating us in the elite 8

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Every season is different do what happened last year doesn't effect this year. I remember the season after Ralph Sampson left UVA they went to the final after beating us in the elite 8

In Sampson's last 3 seasons at UVA, they were 29-4 (1st in the ACC at 13-1) 30-4 (12-2 2nd), and 29-5 (12-2 2nd)

The year you're talking about, 83-84, they finished 21-12 (6-8 6th)...So, yeah, no drop off there 🙄

The fact that they made a run in the tourney (that they maybe shouldn't have even made) with 4 kids who eventually played in the NBA on their roster, not withstanding...

38 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

T-Rank projections. 15 of the B1G teams in the top 50 but none in the top 15. Rutgers seems a bit oversold here.

https://www.barttorvik.com/conf.php?conf=B10

Rutgers added a couple of studs if I remember correctly.

I also wouldn't count out Michigan State. IU isn't the only program adding talent and experience.

5 hours ago, Drroogh said:

So Osobor, Golden, Garcia and Crowl are all bunched together significantly higher than All PAC 12 Ballo? I think Bart needs some new metrics!!

Yeah, USC has 5 guys in the top 22 but will finish 15th?

4 hours ago, Inequality said:

Rutgers added a couple of studs if I remember correctly.

I also wouldn't count out Michigan State. IU isn't the only program adding talent and experience.

Yep 2 one and done studs, but that's all they really have. Lost big Cliff O and didn't replace him.

On 8/6/2024 at 10:17 AM, IUFLA said:

Inside the Hall Big 10 Power Rankings

SMH

Starts out kinda wonky saying...

"The case against Minnesota: The Gophers lost arguably their three best players – Payne, Hawkins and Christie – which is a lot to overcome."

Uh, I'd think anyone who watched a minute of Minnesota basketball last year would say the guy who led the Gophers in scoring and rebounding, Dawson Garcia (who is returning), was their best player...But that's me...

He puts IU 4th behind Purdue, UCLA, and Illinois (🤣)...

Alrighty then...

I think people are overrating Purdue....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think people are overrating Purdue....

As I said, their season depends on a few of the guys who were second fiddle last year stepping up and taking a lead role...

TKR in particular I'd think would have to double his scoring average (6.4 ppg last year) to partially make up for the loss of Edey...I'd say they're top 4 in the Big 10 right now...

On 7/27/2024 at 3:17 PM, IUFLA said:

The biggest homer on BTN thinks Trey Kaufman-Renn will be All Big 10...

Agree but defense & rebounding are more important 

He could develop some TJD like passing out of the short roll & post…maybe 

Purdue & IU both lost great interior defenders & rebounders…along with their best perimeter defender ( maybe TG) 

if you buy the Euros the ILLINI might be pretty good..,.freshman in the Big Ten are hard to predict or hardly ever good 

interested to see how much 4 taco 🌮 plays….still think he is a good bet to lead the conference in scoring 

15 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Agree but defense & rebounding are more important 

He could develop some TJD like passing out of the short roll & post…maybe 

Purdue & IU both lost great interior defenders & rebounders…along with their best perimeter defender ( maybe TG) 

if you buy the Euros the ILLINI might be pretty good..,.freshman in the Big Ten are hard to predict or hardly ever good 

interested to see how much 4 taco 🌮 plays….still think he is a good bet to lead the conference in scoring 

dont be a douche.

• Haha 1

On 8/6/2024 at 7:31 PM, IUFLA said:

I wonder how much the back court will tick up given the increased defensive pressure they will see.

On 8/7/2024 at 3:31 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Painter has earned the benefit of the doubt at this point IMO.  Obviously losing Edey is a big blow but still a talented roster top to bottom. 

IMO pu is like IU in that you leave them where they are until they prove it on the court either up fr IU or down for pu.  Too many unknowns.