Big Ten Basketball 2024-2025

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was just going to post that...

Maybe nearing the end of the Fran era?

35 minutes ago, Indykev said:

kind of Big Ten. Fran loses another son who doesnt want to play for ol' dad.

Connor works for Pacers. The 2nd son already transferred to Butler. Jack now joining. My guess is this is more about the kids wanting to get away from the shadow of Father/Son on team,etc....and less about Fran.

PS...Caitlin Clark has been dating Conner for years. My guess is it's a family surrounding the real juice in Indy so they can be surrounded by family while for the others....getting coached by a heckuva coach in Matta. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Connor works for Pacers. The 2nd son already transferred to Butler. Jack now joining. My guess is this is more about the kids wanting to get away from the shadow of Father/Son on team,etc....and less about Fran.

PS...Caitlin Clark has been dating Conner for years. My guess is it's a family surrounding the real juice in Indy so they can be surrounded by family while for the others....getting coached by a heckuva coach in Matta. 

This is still one of my favorite articles ever:

“Iowa Basketball head coach and disappointed father Fran McCaffrey shocked the world today by announcing that he is entering his first-born son, Connor, into the NCAA Transfer Portal. After twenty-two years of Connor relying on his father for housing, food, Wi-Fi, and a single cold embrace each year on his birthday, Fran, red-faced and yelling indiscriminately at passersby, has apparently grown tired of his second-favorite child’s presence in the McCaffrey home.”

“While Connor’s initial refusal to move away from home to the University of Iowa’s sprawling, dull campus filled with high school burnouts and first-round Big Ten Tournament losses remains unclear, especially after “earning” a “full” “athletic” “scholarship” for the “basketball team,” it appears as though his lease has run out.”

“Instead of forming chemistry with his younger brother Patrick, Connor only passed to Luka Garza in the low block, which is an easier job than knowing how to play basketball himself or trying convince his father not to force him to move into the garage so his bedroom can be converted into a soundproof panic room. Coach McCaffery doesn’t believe that Connor has done anything on the court other than pass to Garza.”

“Connor is reportedly trying to find another tall person to throw a ball in the general direction of, and will hopefully make a decision some time in the coming days.”

https://www.widerightnattylite.com/2021/5/11/22429617/fran-mccaffery-forces-connor-mccaffery-into-transfer-portal

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Reading that article... it certainly reads "unfortunately, things do happen"... and hopefully my tone us conveyed correctly here, I feel awful for the family of the man who died. 4 children and a Vet. Awful to hear. 

17 yr old driver-- feel bad for JM, in a way, as well. I'm sure he'll never be the same. 

---------

I just don't believe there's a need in life to find blame for everything. 🤷‍♂️

🙏

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Reading that article... it certainly reads "unfortunately, things do happen"... and hopefully my tone us conveyed correctly here, I feel awful for the family of the man who died. 4 children and a Vet. Awful to hear. 

17 yr old driver-- feel bad for JM, in a way, as well. I'm sure he'll never be the same. 

---------

🙏

Are you new? Welcome to the board. :)

• Haha 2

On 7/29/2024 at 1:28 PM, BruceDouglas said:

Right now I'd guess Boswell, Jakucionis, Humrichous, Ivisic and Rodgers start. But could also see Riley or White in place of Ty.

To me, Rodgers is the only sure starter...He started every game for Illinois last year, and the talent on that team was a little better :D 

Jakucionis is definitely a big key...I'm not sure I'd peg him as All Big 10 1st team like I saw someone do the other day, but all of the scouting reports say he has talent...

On 7/30/2024 at 11:46 AM, btownqb said:

---------

🙏

Remove blame, being a high profile kid in that town with that going on, you can see why he might have wanted a change of scenery.  Add to that I don't think the Iowa fanbase has always been awesome to his Dad and brothers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Remove blame, being a high profile kid in that town with that going on, you can see why he might have wanted a change of scenery.  Add to that I don't think the Iowa fanbase has always been awesome to his Dad and brothers.

I'm sure they treat him better than we did Crean. 

To the rest, yeah I agree. 100% sure a chance of scenery would be good. 

On 7/31/2024 at 6:24 PM, IUFLA said:

To me, Rodgers is the only sure starter...He started every game for Illinois last year, and the talent on that team was a little better :D 

Jakucionis is definitely a big key...I'm not sure I'd peg him as All Big 10 1st team like I saw someone do the other day, but all of the scouting reports say he has talent...

Illinois Expects To Put Point Guard Hopes In Freshman Kasparas Jakučionis https://www.si.com/college/illinois/illinois-expects-to-put-point-guard-hopes-in-freshman-kasparas-jaku-ionis-01j4ag72vrg5

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Reacher said:

I guess he'll be a PG in the Marcus Domask mold...Although to think he's going to be any where near that good is wishful thinking IMHO...PG seems to be Boswell's most natural fit as well...The article mentions Tre White, but he's more a 2 or 3...

Underwood can't seem to keep a true PG on the roster...Curbelo, Epps, Clark, Harris (although he was more a combo)...I wonder where Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn fits in here? My guess is he doesn't...

Edited by IUFLA

On 7/31/2024 at 7:24 PM, IUFLA said:

Kind of interesting, while last year's team had more proven talent it was not a very deep team and Rodgers probably has a lot more competition to start with this group. Last year he really only had to beat out Goode and Harmon and neither of those guys was really starter caliber.  This year there's White and Riley who probably have different expectations. I'd guess Ty starts at the beginning of the season but not sure he keeps it.

On 8/3/2024 at 8:47 AM, IUFLA said:

I guess he'll be a PG in the Marcus Domask mold...Although to think he's going to be any where near that good is wishful thinking IMHO...PG seems to be Boswell's most natural fit as well...The article mentions Tre White, but he's more a 2 or 3...

Underwood can't seem to keep a true PG on the roster...Curbelo, Epps, Clark, Harris (although he was more a combo)...I wonder where Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn fits in here? My guess is he doesn't...

From what I've seen KJ is nothing like Domask, he's going to be playing much more through ball screens and drives. If they do the "booty ball" isolation it'll likely be Rodgers, White or maybe Humrichous.

Epps and Harris were not PGs. KJ and Boswell are also more combo guards and can co-exist. DGL will play a role as he's the only other real guard on the team. 

And these positional notations are pretty outdated anyway IMO. A "true PG" is just a small guard that can't shoot. 🤣

Also for my Hoosier friends here, use the code UCLA24 for a free year of BTN Plus....

Edited by BruceDouglas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

Kind of interesting, while last year's team had more proven talent it was not a very deep team and Rodgers probably has a lot more competition to start with this group. Last year he really only had to beat out Goode and Harmon and neither of those guys was really starter caliber.  This year there's White and Riley who probably have different expectations. I'd guess Ty starts at the beginning of the season but not sure he keeps it.

"Proven talent" is what wins...Potential means you haven't proven anything yet...

While Rodgers might be limited offensively, he's a leader, and I think your team needs that more than ever...

From what I've seen KJ is nothing like Domask, he's going to be playing much more through ball screens and drives. If they do the "booty ball" isolation it'll likely be Rodgers, White or maybe Humrichous.

Epps and Harris were not PGs. KJ and Boswell are also more combo guards and can co-exist. DGL will play a role as he's the only other real guard on the team. 

And these positional notations are pretty outdated anyway IMO. A "true PG" is just a small guard that can't shoot. 🤣

We can argue the nuances, but he's built about the same as Domask, and his game seemed pretty similar...Not a great outside threat, good mid-range game...He might not post as much as Domask did, but I think he'll have a lot of the same responsibilities...

As far as your PG statement, what does that make Braden Smith? Mark Sears? Are THEY combo guards too? 🤣

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

We can argue the nuances, but he's built about the same as Domask, and his game seemed pretty similar...Not a great outside threat, good mid-range game...He might not post as much as Domask did, but I think he'll have a lot of the same responsibilities...

As far as your PG statement, what does that make Braden Smith? Mark Sears? Are THEY combo guards too? 🤣

LOL, I hope IU's scouting report says he's not an outside threat. 🤣 So yeah he's about the same size as Domask and is a good passer. Other than that, not really similar though.

I would call Smith and Sears point guards. No need to add the "pure" designation because they can definitely shoot it.

27 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

LOL, I hope IU's scouting report says he's not an outside threat. 🤣 So yeah he's about the same size as Domask and is a good passer. Other than that, not really similar though.

I would call Smith and Sears point guards. No need to add the "pure" designation because they can definitely shoot it.

To be honest, looking at the rosters I don't think it's going to matter what IU's scouting report says about Jakucionis...And I think Rothstein had you guys pegged about right...

As I said...whistling past the graveyard...

Don't be a stranger when the season rolls around...

BTW, here's your boy's last 5 games in the U18...

image.thumb.png.31e7d6862a2be991ebabbd8a64989621.png

32% from 3...And that's against U18 competition, not the men he will be facing in the Big10. Over a 6 game stretch in the Adidas Next Generation Tournament he shot 25% from 3...

So, yeah, not "great" as I said...

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

To be honest, looking at the rosters I don't think it's going to matter what IU's scouting report says about Jakucionis...And I think Rothstein had you guys pegged about right...

As I said...whistling past the graveyard...

Don't be a stranger when the season rolls around...

Oh I'll be here. Given your track record of predicting doom for Illinois, we're right on schedule.

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

BTW, here's your boy's last 5 games in the U18...

image.thumb.png.31e7d6862a2be991ebabbd8a64989621.png

32% from 3...And that's against U18 competition, not the men he will be facing in the Big10. Over a 6 game stretch in the Adidas Next Generation Tournament he shot 25% from 3...

So, yeah, not "great" as I said...

And he shot 38% for an entire season with Barcelona. In a pro league against men, not college guys. But sure, 5 or 6 cherry picked games means more. I'm sure he'll struggle some like many freshmen do but he's certainly capable.

I am glad you included his 37 point game against France and projected lottery pick Nolan Traore.

Oh I'll be here. Given your track record of predicting doom for Illinois, we're right on schedule.

And he shot 38% for an entire season with Barcelona. In a pro league against men, not college guys. But sure, 5 or 6 cherry picked games means more. I'm sure he'll struggle some like many freshmen do but he's certainly capable.

I am glad you included his 37 point game against France and projected lottery pick Nolan Traore.

I'm not sure a 4th tier regional Spanish pro league compares with the defenses he'll see in the Big 10, but we'll see...

Inside the Hall Big 10 Power Rankings

SMH

Starts out kinda wonky saying...

"The case against Minnesota: The Gophers lost arguably their three best players – Payne, Hawkins and Christie – which is a lot to overcome."

Uh, I'd think anyone who watched a minute of Minnesota basketball last year would say the guy who led the Gophers in scoring and rebounding, Dawson Garcia (who is returning), was their best player...But that's me...

He puts IU 4th behind Purdue, UCLA, and Illinois (🤣)...

Alrighty then...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Inside the Hall Big 10 Power Rankings

SMH

Starts out kinda wonky saying...

"The case against Minnesota: The Gophers lost arguably their three best players – Payne, Hawkins and Christie – which is a lot to overcome."

Uh, I'd think anyone who watched a minute of Minnesota basketball last year would say the guy who led the Gophers in scoring and rebounding, Dawson Garcia (who is returning), was their best player...But that's me...

He puts IU 4th behind Purdue, UCLA, and Illinois (🤣)...

Alrighty then...

Considering the talent on our roster 4th seems low, but until we prove it on the court that’s probably where we belong.

• Like 3

Just now, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Considering the talent on our roster 4th seems low, but until we prove it on the court that’s probably where we belong.

kinda in this boat. safe bet is IU underachieves rather and overachieves, until proven otherwise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

It's not like our fan base has a history of thinking we are under rated to start the season most years.  :coffee:

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Thanks 1