Big Ten Basketball 2024-2025

19 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Oh, I definitely think he's the best 5 man in the Big 10 next year...I asked in another thread, who's going to guard him? Reese? Crowl? Freeman? MSU's Cooper or Kohler?Those 2 7 foot dweebs Purdue fans on here are touting? Anybody from Illinois?

The kid from Northwestern, Nicholson, might be able to bang with him a bit, but he's not the most athletic guy around...And I haven't seen Goldin kid for Michigan (via Florida Atlantic) play much...But Oumar is a man...

And then there's Malik :) 

Ballo is solid but I’m hoping Jacobsen swats his shot into the second row. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

IU needs to send hours of film of Edey and Cockburn to B1G officiating. They need to inform them that based on the evidence, Ballo will be told that in the B1G it is legal to lead with your shoulder and elbow. They will expect a foul to be called on the defender as he bounces off the basket support. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

IU needs to send hours of film of Edey and Cockburn to BTT officiating. They need to inform them that based on the evidence, Ballo will be told that in the B1G it is legal to lead with your shoulder and elbow. They will expect a foul to be called on the defender as he bounces off the basket support. 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9523hieer24inegbvblf

7 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Yes, already signed and will be on campus soon. If you add the 2 Euro dudes, best recruiting class at Illinois in decades. Got some multi-year transfers too so may have some continuity for once, though undoubtedly a couple of these guys will move on anyway.

7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

YARN | Maybe we'd better just whistle on our way past the graveyard. | Twin  Peaks (1992) - S02E17 | Video gifs by quotes | ae31d633 | 紗

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 9:30 AM, Reacher said:

Bringing this to the current thread-

Anyone thinking Ballo will be Big Ten player of the year? 

Should any of our other transfers cracked the top 10?

Doesn't look like IU got much respect. Heck, Roddy Gayle made the list twice! 

https://www.insidenu.com/2024/6/21/24180079/instant-impact-a-look-at-the-top-five-most-intriguing-mens-basketball-transfers-in-the-big-ten

Idiots only had 4 of top 5 for IU 

Hard to argue….its June and everyone is healthy 

Purdue & Illini should be good with deep teams….but it might be February until it comes together 

On 6/23/2024 at 9:14 AM, IUFLA said:

Found this Big 10 portal report card imbedded in the link  @Reacher posted in the other thread...

Indiana: A+
Players In: Oumar Ballo (Arizona), Kanaan Carlyle (Stanford), Luke Goode (Illinois), Langdon Hatton (Bellarmine), Myles Rice (Washington State)

Players Out: Kaleb Banks (Tulane), CJ Gunn (DePaul), Payton Sparks (Ball State)

Indiana brought in a transfer class this spring that should set the standard for roster-building in the NIL era. Mike Woodson’s group ranks second in the nation, according to 247Sports, and these five new Hoosiers should have Indiana firmly in position to compete for a Big Ten title after a disappointing 2023-24 season.

The centerpiece is center Oumar Ballo, the former Arizona Wildcat who was arguably the top name to enter the portal this offseason. Ballo was a monster for the Pac-12 regular season champs, averaging 12.9 points and 10.1 rebounds on top of earning Pac-12 All-Defensive team honors. Kanaan Carlyle dropped 28 points for Stanford in an early season upset win over Ballo’s Arizona and he brings some much-needed creativity at the shooting guard position. Myles Rice, the steady-handed point guard who spearheaded Washington State’s return to March, will likely fill in beside Carlyle in the backcourt. Goode and Hatton fill out the class as elite role-players for the Hoosiers. Goode brings three-point shooting at the forward position, and Hatton adds another versatile presence in the paint to complement last year’s leading scorer Kel’el Ware.

Purdue: D+
Players In: None

Players Out: Mason Gillis (Duke), Ethan Morton (Colorado State)

At the moment, Purdue stands as the only team in the Big Ten yet to bring in a transfer. While Purdue only lost two guys, tied for second fewest in the Big Ten, one of those is reigning Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year Gillis, who takes his 46.8% three point shooting to Durham. Morton was a role-player mostly used for defense throughout his four years with the Boilermakers, but lost his role down the stretch of last year’s season.

Without an incoming transfer, Head Coach Matt Painter will rely on his three returning starters, led by All-American point guard Braden Smith to remake an attack that will look completely different in the absence of two-time reigning Naismith Player of the Year Zach Edey. The best coach in the Big Ten has earned enough benefit of the doubt in recent years to avoid a worse grade than this, but given the glaring need to replace Edey’s production along with the fact that Painter hit a home run in the transfer portal last season with the addition of Lance Jones makes our staff reluctant to grade Purdue any higher than this

I don't see how you don't bring in anybody and get a D+...Bridesmaid points maybe? :D 

But it looks good to me...

F or incomplete?

…still think we’ll lose another player from this freshman class 

On 6/24/2024 at 4:36 PM, IUFLA said:

Oh, I definitely think he's the best 5 man in the Big 10 next year...I asked in another thread, who's going to guard him? Reese? Crowl? Freeman? MSU's Cooper or Kohler?Those 2 7 foot dweebs Purdue fans on here are touting? Anybody from Illinois?

The kid from Northwestern, Nicholson, might be able to bang with him a bit, but he's not the most athletic guy around...And I haven't seen Goldin kid for Michigan (via Florida Atlantic) play much...But Oumar is a man...

And then there's Malik :) 

Ballo is a unit 

one of the few who could hold up vs Zach last year on position & boards 

Doubt you guys post him a ton but pick n roll and rebounding will be huge 

Purdue will be in trouble if Berg or Jacobsen can’t produce 

Should be a fun year for both fan bases 

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

The unintentional humor here is just off the chart. 🤣

And what would that be? 

If you think all the unproven "potential"  you've gathered in Champaign stacks up to 7 players who've averaged double digits in a D1 season, then the joke is on you.

And before you bring out the idiotic Illini line about who we have as a coach, his record against "The Great Brad Underwood" is 3-2

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

And what would that be? 

If you think all the unproven "potential"  you've gathered in Champaign stacks up to 7 players who've averaged double digits in a D1 season, then the joke is on you.

And before you bring out the idiotic Illini line about who we have as a coach, his record against "The Great Brad Underwood" is 3-2

It would be that your self proclaimed "head coach 4 life" is again rolling out a lineup that makes no sense in today's game.

So yes, "whistling past the graveyard"

That 3-2 record is some fine copium.

april-fools-joke.gif

2 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

It would be that your self proclaimed "head coach 4 life" is again rolling out a lineup that makes no sense in today's game.

april-fools-joke.gif

This roster only has 3 big guys Reneau, Ballo and Hatton. Hatton probably will see limited minutes so for most of the time we won't be playing two bigs at one time.

29 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

april-fools-joke.gif

Not surprised you parrot the idiotic HH dude...not surprised at all...

Make sure you're not a stranger when the season starts...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not surprised you parrot the idiotic HH dude...not surprised at all...

Make sure you're not a stranger when the season starts...

Has anyone had more 4&5 star recruits 

More 5th & 6th year players ?

More NBA players?

PS   CJ Cox already better then Cupps?

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

april-fools-joke.gif

Am I missing something? Are you really bragging about being 2-3 against Woodson? Against a coach that you laugh at and imply he's a moron. What would that make Brad UnderWoody? The name may say it all. 

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Am I missing something? Are you really bragging about being 2-3 against Woodson? Against a coach that you laugh at and imply he's a moron. What would that make Brad UnderWoody? The name may say it all. 

It’s silly to compare head to head records especially with such a small sample size.  I’ve heard numerous times about Woody being 3-3 against Painter like it means anything noteworthy.  I think most neutral observers would put Painter several (if not more) notches above Woody even with the .500 head to head record. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It’s silly to compare head to head records especially with such a small sample size.  I’ve heard numerous times about Woody being 3-3 against Painter like it means anything noteworthy.  I think most neutral observers would put Painter several (if not more) notches above Woody even with the .500 head to head record. 

Of course you would...

4 hours ago, ledies22 said:

i’m really confused how anyone would think Underwood is a good coach. The talent he has had and underachieved with is amazing. Woodson has crushed him with less talent.  

Illini got bounced in first round with one of the most talented teams int the country. Reminds me of Purdue

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 94hoosier said:

i’m really confused how anyone would think Underwood is a good coach. The talent he has had and underachieved with is amazing. Woodson has crushed him with less talent.  

Illini got bounced in first round with one of the most talented teams in the country. Reminds me of Purdue

Setting aside the question of his coaching acumen, he's a douchebag.  Seems more players than normal leave UI early and I'm guessing the A-Hole coach has a lot to do with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 94hoosier said:

Illini got bounced in first round with one of the most talented teams int the country. Reminds me of Purdue

Reminds you of Purdue how? Because of a first round loss?  Purdue’s done a lot better in the tourney than Illinois in the recent past. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Agreed. Perfect example would be Fran McCaffery's 4-1 record against Woodson.

Any non biased opinion would have Painter far above Woodson regardless of the 3-3 record.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It's silly to insert Purdue into an IU and Illinois conversation. 

image.jpeg.2e48addeb48b28ab5f41d16e02c857d8.jpeg

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Didn't you know? This place turns into a Purdue message board during the offseason, apparently.

What do you mean offseason? I don't really blame the Purdue posters for seeking out intelligent basketball conversation, though. 

• Haha 3