Big Ten Basketball 2024-2025

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

@Boiler Sam

Not putting more Turdue talk in Mullins thread, but wanted to comment so did it here instead...

To give context to your 5 of 7, would have missed the tournament in COVID cancelled 2020. Bad 1st round losses in 2021 & 2023. 

Your fans were calling for a new coach after the loss to N Texas in 2021. Just like they were after missing 2 straight NCAAs in 2013-14. 

IMO - Matt Painter is a good coach that has developed a system that works for him and Purdue. His "right guys" is true. He's recruiting players willing to redshirt. Players that are there to win, not a path to the NBA. Edey is a perfect example of how Painter used him vs. how other coaches might. He was effective down low to the point of being 2x NPOY. I think a lot of places, they would have allowed him to develop a 3pt shot in his later years to help him be more NBA ready/desirable. It ended up working out for Edey and Painter/Turdue anyway b/c he was drafted in the lottery and they won a lot of games.

End of the day, I think Painter was underrated in the regular season for many years because of his lack of March success. Now he's a bit overrated because of his breakthrough March this year. 

Building off your thoughts, it comes down to ‘do you want to win championships, or do you want to just be considered good?’ I think a lot of the anti Woodson posters are missing the point! Woodson is competing against the shiny moment UCon and Kansas for the top talent in the country not just Indiana! Does he still need to learn and prove it? Hell yeah! But would I be willing to accept just being good like Purdont? Hell NO!

By the way, my AlmaMater won the NCAA Basketball Championship this past season! On the 50th anniversary of Div3

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

@Boiler Sam

Not putting more Turdue talk in Mullins thread, but wanted to comment so did it here instead...

To give context to your 5 of 7, would have missed the tournament in COVID cancelled 2020. Bad 1st round losses in 2021 & 2023. 

Your fans were calling for a new coach after the loss to N Texas in 2021. Just like they were after missing 2 straight NCAAs in 2013-14. 

IMO - Matt Painter is a good coach that has developed a system that works for him and Purdue. His "right guys" is true. He's recruiting players willing to redshirt. Players that are there to win, not a path to the NBA. Edey is a perfect example of how Painter used him vs. how other coaches might. He was effective down low to the point of being 2x NPOY. I think a lot of places, they would have allowed him to develop a 3pt shot in his later years to help him be more NBA ready/desirable. It ended up working out for Edey and Painter/Turdue anyway b/c he was drafted in the lottery and they won a lot of games.

End of the day, I think Painter was underrated in the regular season for many years because of his lack of March success. Now he's a bit overrated because of his breakthrough March this year. 

OK. 5 out of 7 sweet sixteens, or 8, doesn’t strike me as “abstract failure”. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Purdue basketball is to Lamar Jackson in football.

But it is still Purdue basketball 

it’s still Indiana Basketball I grew up watching from High School to Valpo & Ball State.  Guys diving on the floor…giving their all for the team 

Hard to remember seeing any Hoosier 5 stars diving on the floor last year 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, cybergates said:

@Boiler Sam

The majority of fans weren’t calling for a new coach after the North Texas loss lol. That’s not remotely accurate. And it’s interesting trying to downplay making 5 of the last 7 S16’s when only a handful of programs can say the same.  I’m guessing many of you would be thrilled with that considering the last decade or so in Bloomington.  You really think other coaches would’ve let him develop a 3-point shot?   I think a smart coach would use him in the way he’s most effective which is close to the basket where he was unstoppable.  Opposing coaches would’ve thanked Painter if he let Edey take 3’s lol. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The majority of fans weren’t calling for a new coach after the North Texas loss lol. That’s not remotely accurate. And it’s interesting trying to downplay making 5 of the last 7 S16’s when only a handful of programs can say the same.  I’m guessing many of you would be thrilled with that considering the last decade or so in Bloomington.  You really think other coaches would’ve let him develop a 3-point shot?   I think a smart coach would use him in the way he’s most effective which is close to the basket where he was unstoppable.  Opposing coaches would’ve thanked Painter if he let Edey take 3’s lol. 

I think the point here that seems to be flying over the 3 purdue guys here is that......

for how strong Purdue is during the regular season, they are rather less than come tournament time.

Over the last 10 years Purdue is probably top 10 in wins in the P5. and they have:

All 9 appearances, 1 elite 8, 1 championship game appearance, a loss to N Texas, and getting beat by 16 seed... all of that with I think 7 times a 4 seed or better.

That's like the last decade Cowboys, present day Ravens, 90's Knicks, Manning's Colts (except he got one), Nash's Suns.

Purdue is great. Post season wise, they should be better. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Last I'll comment on this since you lack comprehension based on your bias.

Never said majority and a quick google search turned up this.

image.png.0bc412030957492c7ac962ba31055f49.png

You sure LOL a lot. Any team with less success would be happier with more success over the past 7 years. Just as Turdue fan's would be happier with UConn's success over the past 7 years (or just 2 really). Lame argument LOL!

Plenty of coaches let their players develop things to the detriment of their team/success. I was complimenting Painter for focusing on winning instead. LOL!

5 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

But it is still Purdue basketball 

it’s still Indiana Basketball I grew up watching from High School to Valpo & Ball State.  Guys diving on the floor…giving their all for the team 

Hard to remember seeing any Hoosier 5 stars diving on the floor last year 

We saw your mom diving on the floor last year...🥸

IMG_5737.gif.1a8c33ba4e234ad8a8c64f8f03e76a8a.gif

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

I think the point here that seems to be flying over the 3 purdue guys here is that......

for how strong Purdue is during the regular season, they are rather less than come tournament time.

Over the last 10 years Purdue is probably top 10 in wins in the P5. and they have:

All 9 appearances, 1 elite 8, 1 championship game appearance, a loss to N Texas, and getting beat by 16 seed... all of that with I think 7 times a 4 seed or better.

That's like the last decade Cowboys, present day Ravens, 90's Knicks, Manning's Colts (except he got one), Nash's Suns.

Purdue is great. Post season wise, they should be better. 

Why are you only quoting elite 8’s and beyond?  S16’s count too.