Big Ten Basketball 2024-2025

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Michigan hass talent. I can see reason for optimism about them.

I see Purdue in more of the 3 to 5 range when it's all said and done. Still really good, but not elite.

IU?   🙏🤞

I actually picked Michigan 4th...and I think they'll be good...Just not better than us good...

Purdue I can kinda understand, and I do think they'll be a good team (I picked them 3rd)...Just not as good as the press (or their fans for that matter) seem to think...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I actually picked Michigan 4th...and I think they'll be good...Just not better than us good...

Purdue I can kinda understand, and I do think they'll be a good team (I picked them 3rd)...Just not as good as the press (or their fans for that matter) seem to think...

Think our thoughts are very similar here 

• Like 1

Michigan is an interesting case. They're doing the two bigs thing with Wolf and Golden, but it's not being met with much skepticism. Their non con schedule isn't any better than ours either. One decent home opponent and some average power conference foes on neutral courts. It's honeymoon time for Dusty.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I think it’s just the first time in a few years with some question marks.  I think a lot depends on the jumps Colvin and Heide make and how well the newcomers fit in.  I think only 2 of the freshmen will redshirt so plenty of young guys will play.  I think TKR is going to have a big year too. The ceiling is debatable but the floor is pretty damn high IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Michigan is an interesting case. They're doing the two bigs thing with Wolf and Golden, but it's not being met with much skepticism. Their non con schedule isn't any better than ours either. One decent home opponent and some average power conference foes on neutral courts. It's honeymoon time for Dusty.

They'd better get some major league production from Roddy Gayle...their backcourt is a little thin...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

Danny Wolf is a stretch 4 who can drive, pass and shoot from 3. Has been compared to Domas Sabonis. Goldin is purely an interior player who has yet to attempt a three. They complement each other well. In fact Wolf said Goldin’s transfer was a big factor in coming to MI so he could play the 4. 

28 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Katz just seems like a caricature at this point, trying to hold on to relevancy. 

So post and say random click bait stuff that never lines up with previous statements. 

So the difference between "Katz" and "Putz" is a "Pu" :) 

Media Day coach's roundtable split by segments (you can see the splits on the slider at the bottom...Coach Woodson is in the 4th group with Hoiberg and Musselman)...Good to hear all  of the Big 10 coaches talking about their teams, the new programs coming in, ect...

13 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I enjoyed Woody’s comments at media day. It was encouraging to hear him speak personally about opening the offense up. By nature I’m a “believe it when I see it guy” about most things, not just basketball, so I still am who I am, but like I said it was encouraging. 

I’ve read here and there that Indiana should have been called the ‘Show Me State’ 😄

Watched all the coach roundtables, and 2 things caught my attention...

Dusty May said along with Goldin and Wolf, Sam Walters, 6'10 soph transfer from Alabama, will be playing on the perimeter (shot 39% from 3 last year) so Michigan will be really big on the front line...

And I can't help but feel Jake Diebler is in a little over his head...

On 10/3/2024 at 1:35 PM, ledies22 said:

As both you and Turdue 7 were saying a few weeks back and how his game wont change at all... these numbers do not scream B10 player of the year to me. 

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
39 34.0 44.1 43.1 79.5 5.8 7.5 0.1 1.6 1.6 2.7 12.0

If he has to score 15-18 a game the young guys aren’t stepping up 

Which team takes & makes more 3’s?

I really believe the perception of the big ten is really hurting the conferences recruiting. I see MSU struggling getting top rated recruits and see very little top prospects picking big ten teams. The conference really needs to be serious about changing that perception because bright now top recruits don't want to play this style.  I am hoping with the 4 former PAC 12 schools will help change the style of play and hope Woodson is serious about playing up tempo 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I really believe the perception of the big ten is really hurting the conferences recruiting. I see MSU struggling getting top rated recruits and see very little top prospects picking big ten teams. The conference really needs to be serious about changing that perception because bright now top recruits don't want to play this style.  I am hoping with the 4 former PAC 12 schools will help change the style of play and hope Woodson is serious about playing up tempo 

Not sure I’d agree it’s about the perception (at least not as the main reason). Tempo can be overrated too IMO.  UConn was 330th in tempo last year.  I’d argue the way they won last year (especially on defense) was much more representative of a B1G type team than your run-n-gun teams. 

The name of the game is NIL/portal for the majority of players.  Playing style matters but not as much as it once did. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

What exactly is an “abstract failure” ? 

Painter has made 5 of the last 7 sweet sixteens, so not sure that phrase means what you think it means…

@Boiler Sam

Not putting more Turdue talk in Mullins thread, but wanted to comment so did it here instead...

To give context to your 5 of 7, would have missed the tournament in COVID cancelled 2020. Bad 1st round losses in 2021 & 2023. 

Your fans were calling for a new coach after the loss to N Texas in 2021. Just like they were after missing 2 straight NCAAs in 2013-14. 

IMO - Matt Painter is a good coach that has developed a system that works for him and Purdue. His "right guys" is true. He's recruiting players willing to redshirt. Players that are there to win, not a path to the NBA. Edey is a perfect example of how Painter used him vs. how other coaches might. He was effective down low to the point of being 2x NPOY. I think a lot of places, they would have allowed him to develop a 3pt shot in his later years to help him be more NBA ready/desirable. It ended up working out for Edey and Painter/Turdue anyway b/c he was drafted in the lottery and they won a lot of games.

End of the day, I think Painter was underrated in the regular season for many years because of his lack of March success. Now he's a bit overrated because of his breakthrough March this year. 

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 1