Big Ten Basketball 2024-2025

58 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Inside the Hall picks the Top 40 Big 10 players...

40. William Kyle III, UCLA (6-foot-9, forward, junior)
39. Ben Humrichous, Illinois (6-foot-9, forward, fifth-year senior)
38. Josh Dix, Iowa (6-foot-5, guard, junior)
37. Juwan Gary, Nebraska (6-foot-6, forward, senior)
36. Xavier Booker, Michigan State (6-foot-11, forward, sophomore)
35. Desmond Claude, USC (6-foot-6, guard, junior)
34. Saint Thomas, USC (6-foot-7, forward, graduate student)
33. Selton Miguel, Maryland (6-foot-4, guard, fifth-year senior)
32. Frankie Fidler, Michigan State (6-foot-7, forward, senior)
31. Kwame Evans Jr., Oregon (6-foot-9, forward, sophomore)
30. Julian Reese, Maryland (6-foot-9, forward, senior)
29. Kylan Boswell, Illinois (6-foot-2, guard, sophomore)
28. Danny Wolf, Michigan (7-foot, center, junior)
27. Jaden Akins, Michigan State (6-foot-4, guard, senior)
26. TJ Bamba, Oregon (6-foot-5, guard, senior)
25. Fletcher Loyer, Purdue (6-foot-5, guard, junior)
24. Trey Kaufman-Renn, Purdue (6-foot-9, forward, redshirt junior)
23. Ja’Kobi Gillespie, Maryland (6-foot-1, guard, junior)
22. John Blackwell, Wisconsin (6-foot-4, guard, sophomore)
21. Brice Williams, Nebraska (6-foot-7, guard, senior)
20. Sebastian Mack, UCLA (6-foot-3, guard, sophomore)
19. Mackenzie Mgbako, Indiana (6-foot-8, forward, sophomore)
18. Meechie Johnson, Ohio State (6-foot-2, guard, fifth-year senior)
17. Roddy Gayle Jr., Michigan (6-foot-5, guard, junior)
16. Owen Freeman, Iowa (6-foot-10, forward, sophomore)
15. Kasparus Jakucionis, Illinois (6-foot-6, guard, freshman)
14. Great Osobor, Washington (6-foot-8, forward, senior)
13. Vladislav Goldin, Michigan (7-foot-1, center, graduate student)
12. Dawson Garcia, Minnesota (6-foot-11, forward, fifth-year senior)
11. Malik Reneau, Indiana (6-foot-9, forward, junior)
10. Bruce Thornton, Ohio State (6-foot-2, guard, junior)
9. Brooks Barnhizer, Northwestern (6-foot-6, forward, senior)
8. Oumar Ballo, Indiana (7-foot, center, redshirt senior)
7. Ace Bailey, Rutgers (6-foot-10, forward, freshman)
6. Ace Baldwin Jr., Penn State (6-foot-1, guard, fifth-year senior)
5. Jackson Shelstad, Oregon (6-foot, guard, sophomore)
4. Myles Rice, Indiana (6-foot-3, guard, redshirt sophomore)
3. Dylan Harper, Rutgers (6-foot-6, guard, freshman)
2. Payton Sandfort, Iowa (6-foot-7, forward, senior)
1. Braden Smith, Purdue (6-foot, guard, junior)

Team Count
Illinois 3
Indiana 4
Iowa 3
Maryland 3
Michigan 3
Michigan State 3
Minnesota 1
Nebraska 2
Northwestern 1
Ohio State 2
Oregon 3
Penn State 1
Purdue 3
Rutgers 2
UCLA 2
USC 2
Washington 1
Wisconsin 1

Kudos to you for putting this together in one spot. I've looked at a few of their releases. Nice to see Rice in the top 5 (and 3 Hoosiers in the top 11!). I don't see Braden Smith as the top player in the conference. I hope a lot of opposing teams use that #1 ranking as  motivation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kdug said:

With the new teams and all the transfers, about 40% of the names on this list are players I’ve never heard of or know very little about. Feels like I’d used to go into seasons knowing just about everybody in the conference who was projected to be one of the top players.

With that many unknowns, it’s hard for me to argue too much with anyone on the list.

Just a cursory look, but I think Julian Reese is too low, and Owen Freeman too high out of the big fellas...I also was surprised Steven Crowl or Max Klesmit of Wisconsin didn't make the list...

54 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Don't know about overall, but every mock draft I've seen has Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper being drafted in the top 5. One has them #2 and #3. 

Buddy of mine texted me that about a week ago and basically asked wtf or how does Rutgers have 2 top 5 guys?? Haha.

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

With the new teams and all the transfers, about 40% of the names on this list are players I’ve never heard of or know very little about. Feels like I’d used to go into seasons knowing just about everybody in the conference who was projected to be one of the top players.

With that many unknowns, it’s hard for me to argue too much with anyone on the list.

Think of it like in the 60’s and all you knew was what you read in the weekly paper? Ahh, the beauty of the unknown and the expectations!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Inside the Hall picks the Top 40 Big 10 players...

40. William Kyle III, UCLA (6-foot-9, forward, junior)
39. Ben Humrichous, Illinois (6-foot-9, forward, fifth-year senior)
38. Josh Dix, Iowa (6-foot-5, guard, junior)
37. Juwan Gary, Nebraska (6-foot-6, forward, senior)
36. Xavier Booker, Michigan State (6-foot-11, forward, sophomore)
35. Desmond Claude, USC (6-foot-6, guard, junior)
34. Saint Thomas, USC (6-foot-7, forward, graduate student)
33. Selton Miguel, Maryland (6-foot-4, guard, fifth-year senior)
32. Frankie Fidler, Michigan State (6-foot-7, forward, senior)
31. Kwame Evans Jr., Oregon (6-foot-9, forward, sophomore)
30. Julian Reese, Maryland (6-foot-9, forward, senior)
29. Kylan Boswell, Illinois (6-foot-2, guard, sophomore)
28. Danny Wolf, Michigan (7-foot, center, junior)
27. Jaden Akins, Michigan State (6-foot-4, guard, senior)
26. TJ Bamba, Oregon (6-foot-5, guard, senior)
25. Fletcher Loyer, Purdue (6-foot-5, guard, junior)
24. Trey Kaufman-Renn, Purdue (6-foot-9, forward, redshirt junior)
23. Ja’Kobi Gillespie, Maryland (6-foot-1, guard, junior)
22. John Blackwell, Wisconsin (6-foot-4, guard, sophomore)
21. Brice Williams, Nebraska (6-foot-7, guard, senior)
20. Sebastian Mack, UCLA (6-foot-3, guard, sophomore)
19. Mackenzie Mgbako, Indiana (6-foot-8, forward, sophomore)
18. Meechie Johnson, Ohio State (6-foot-2, guard, fifth-year senior)
17. Roddy Gayle Jr., Michigan (6-foot-5, guard, junior)
16. Owen Freeman, Iowa (6-foot-10, forward, sophomore)
15. Kasparus Jakucionis, Illinois (6-foot-6, guard, freshman)
14. Great Osobor, Washington (6-foot-8, forward, senior)
13. Vladislav Goldin, Michigan (7-foot-1, center, graduate student)
12. Dawson Garcia, Minnesota (6-foot-11, forward, fifth-year senior)
11. Malik Reneau, Indiana (6-foot-9, forward, junior)
10. Bruce Thornton, Ohio State (6-foot-2, guard, junior)
9. Brooks Barnhizer, Northwestern (6-foot-6, forward, senior)
8. Oumar Ballo, Indiana (7-foot, center, redshirt senior)
7. Ace Bailey, Rutgers (6-foot-10, forward, freshman)
6. Ace Baldwin Jr., Penn State (6-foot-1, guard, fifth-year senior)
5. Jackson Shelstad, Oregon (6-foot, guard, sophomore)
4. Myles Rice, Indiana (6-foot-3, guard, redshirt sophomore)
3. Dylan Harper, Rutgers (6-foot-6, guard, freshman)
2. Payton Sandfort, Iowa (6-foot-7, forward, senior)
1. Braden Smith, Purdue (6-foot, guard, junior)

Team Count
Illinois 3
Indiana 4
Iowa 3
Maryland 3
Michigan 3
Michigan State 3
Minnesota 1
Nebraska 2
Northwestern 1
Ohio State 2
Oregon 3
Penn State 1
Purdue 3
Rutgers 2
UCLA 2
USC 2
Washington 1
Wisconsin 1

Dont get me wrong, I believe Braden Smith is a very good basketball player. But I do think he is limited as well. If Braden Smith is the best player, what does that say about the B1G in general?

With Edey gone, his game will have to change. we will see how much he has to adapt and how he handles that this year. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Dont get me wrong, I believe Braden Smith is a very good basketball player. But I do think he is limited as well. If Braden Smith is the best player, what does that say about the B1G in general?

With Edey gone, his game will have to change. we will see how much he has to adapt and how he handles that this year. 

Feel the same way about Smith...He's the #1 returning player in the Big 10 right now, but I think a few players will pass him by the end of the season...

On 8/30/2024 at 1:38 PM, ledies22 said:

His game won’t change…he’ll run the offense and look for his teammates….same as Loyer 

The rest of team will have to step up 

Confident MP & PJ have the offense ready to roll 

Rebounding & Defense are another story 

• Confused 1

On 8/30/2024 at 1:38 PM, ledies22 said:

I think it’s more of a talent versus potential thing.  Plenty of those other guys have much higher ceilings than Smith at the next level but hard to argue with the numbers Smith has put up so far. 

His game won’t change either tbh.  He’ll still have the same responsibilities with new pieces around him.  

18 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think it’s more of a talent versus potential thing.  Plenty of those other guys have much higher ceilings than Smith at the next level but hard to argue with the numbers Smith has put up so far. 

His game won’t change either tbh.  He’ll still have the same responsibilities with new pieces around him.  

kinda odd that the B1G's supposed best player's game will not change with everything that was lost from a year ago?

If it were me, I would hope that the "best player" would be asked to do a bit more to fill the voids left from last year. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

kinda odd that the B1G's supposed best player's game will not change with everything that was lost from a year ago?

If it were me, I would hope that the "best player" would be asked to do a bit more to fill the voids left from last year. 

I guess it depends on what you mean by his game changing? I took that to mean he won’t still primarily run pick and roll with TKR/Berg/Jacobsen.  If you meant he’ll shoot more or something along those lines then I agree.  His FGA will likely go up but he’ll still primarily be a guy who operates out of the PNR. 

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

There's no way Dylan Harper is the 2nd best player in the Big 10...

Meh.  I have no issue with it.  Projecting the success of freshman is hard. It often comes down to fit.  Two equally talented kids could end up in two totally different environments.  One gets the perfect fit and one doesn't.  That doesn't change the fact they are equally talented.

Calbert Cheaney is a great example.  Unheralded recruit that fit perfectly in Knight's system.  Immediate impact as a freshman.  30 years later, he's still the Big Ten's all-time leading scorer.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Meh.  I have no issue with it.  Projecting the success of freshman is hard. It often comes down to fit.  Two equally talented kids could end up in two totally different environments.  One gets the perfect fit and one doesn't.  That doesn't change the fact they are equally talented.

Calbert Cheaney is a great example.  Unheralded recruit that fit perfectly in Knight's system.  Immediate impact as a freshman.  30 years later, he's still the Big Ten's all-time leading scorer.

So who FINISHES higher in the BIG POY voting this year? The anointed Braden Smith or Myles Rice?

Honest question?

Edited by Drroogh

Just now, Drroogh said:

So who FINISHES higher in the BIG POY voting this year? The anointed Braden Smith or Myles Rice?

Unbiased, I would have to say Braden Smith has the advantage today.  But, neither are likely to win POY.  Smith more likely to be on all-conference first team for a variety of reasons.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Harper is top 6 in every mock draft and as high as #2. The only other B1G player that high is his teammate, Ace Bailey. Whether they live up to the hype is a different question. It's a lazy, but easy, take for media to rank them high among B1G players. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

He's not all that athletic, and he benefits from his name...and he's a freshman...

He may wind up being a good player somewhere down the line, I just don't see him being All Big 10 first team this year...

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I heard Leary and DD interview a couple of weeks ago talking how close Calbert was to leaving the team during his senior year. I guess everyone was getting tired of coach Knight and how he was treating them even though they were undefeated in the big ten. I guess after the loss at OSU that RMK went after Calbert causing him to tell everyone once he gets off the bus he was heading home

49 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Unbiased, I would have to say Braden Smith has the advantage today.  But, neither are likely to win POY.  Smith more likely to be on all-conference first team for a variety of reasons.

Don’t forget Myles was also all conference last year!

And he didn’t have the NPOY in the post.

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 3