In actual USMNT news - big bounce back game against Brasil after the horror show against Colombia.  Particularly pleased for Turner to have such a good game after a bad one.  He's horrid with his feet but a good shot stopper.

We looked so much better with Musah playing as the 6

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

In actual USMNT news - big bounce back game against Brasil after the horror show against Colombia.  Particularly pleased for Turner to have such a good game after a bad one.  He's horrid with his feet but a good shot stopper.

We looked so much better with Musah playing as the 6

I like Adams at the 6 but part of that is i think Musah can be utilized more up the field. I would like to see Reyna live up to his hype. We need a goal scoring #9 and much needed D help. But thats my very elementary (slightly better than the average) soccer knowledge.

We have the most talent US Soccer has ever had. These guys are getting older, but i dont think we will be going backwards in that department.  Need to start going toe to toe with some of these upper echelon teams. 

Oh, sorry - I think Adams at the 6 is the engine that runs this team.  Without him, we are lost.  Against Brasil, Musah did a good enough job filling in - and his (or anyone else's) absence against Colombia is a big part of why we looked so poor, IMO.

I think our 11 actually picks itself more or less

Pulisic - Balogun (or Pepi / Wright if in form) - Weah

Reyna - Adams - Musah

Jedi - Ream - Richards - Dest

Reyna and Musah are both 8's with Reyna perhaps tucking in a bit more centrally like a 10

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Solid win. Was hoping for a bit more dominance and another couple of goals. 

Yeah I didn’t come away impressed based on who we played against. Watching Copa and Euros and I can away very unimpressed with how we performed for like 80 of 90 minutes. Couple bright spots but a lot of sloppy play that won’t hold up to elite competition. Hopefully we were just nervous and got our poor performance out of the way. Exception of Pulisic I saw few quality touches out there on our side.

12 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

There are more people in the state of Indiana than the entire country of Panama. How do we not have better soccer players here? 

do you watch a lot of soccer, or are you a casual fan?

13 hours ago, ledies22 said:

do you watch a lot of soccer, or are you a casual fan?

Casual fan. IU and USA soccer is all that I watch. 

I just find it strange how we seem to have world-class athletes in so many different sports, but men's soccer is never one of them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Casual fan. IU and USA soccer is all that I watch. 

I just find it strange how we seem to have world-class athletes in so many different sports, but men's soccer is never one of them. 

We are getting better with more and more talent. Soccer wasn’t a focus sport 10 years ago. Soccer in the USA is growing with popularity. I think in 10-20 years we will be up there with everyone else 

8 hours ago, ledies22 said:

We are getting better with more and more talent. Soccer wasn’t a focus sport 10 years ago. Soccer in the USA is growing with popularity. I think in 10-20 years we will be up there with everyone else 

Not unless we get better coaching. Imo the issues are with the coaching…from ground up through the travel teams through national team…coaching is atrocious. Plus the kids coming up…just horrible mentality…it’s like how AAU is ruining basketball….pretty soon US basketball will also fall behind the rest of the world. Maybe it’s just a hunger thing…too many spoiled kids here. Even if we have superior athletes (to me that’s debatable) our infrastructure and piss poor attitudes and lackluster coaching will continue to hold us back. I would put my house on us never winning a Copa in my lifetime…much less a World Cup.

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

MLS developmental academies have largely fixed youth level coaching issues imo 

I’d like to agree. Just hasn’t been the narrative I’ve heard…undoubtedly the sport has been infused with lots of money and infrastructure but we are a long way off from seeing the technical skills on the pitch matching the worlds best.

I mean, narratives be damned, look at the results.  The US youth pipeline started humming when they dipped their toe in the water with centralized development academies ~20 years ago and then really supercharged when MLS was able to partner and take ownership of the process more in the last ~10-15.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 7:56 PM, HoosierFaithful said:

I mean, narratives be damned, look at the results.  The US youth pipeline started humming when they dipped their toe in the water with centralized development academies ~20 years ago and then really supercharged when MLS was able to partner and take ownership of the process more in the last ~10-15.

Just not seeing it on the pitch. I’ve heard over and over again it’s coming. I don’t expect us to win anything but when I see only a couple players on the pitch that looks like they belong out there…it’s hard to see it. Then I hear from leaders at some of the youth soccer federations that complain about the the parents and how they are raising up these kids and what sounds like problems similar to what we see in AAU basketball and I don’t have much faith. I feel the same about basketball and we see the results with the best players in the world are no longer American and I think youth sports in America in general are in shambles.

52 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Just not seeing it on the pitch. I’ve heard over and over again it’s coming. I don’t expect us to win anything but when I see only a couple players on the pitch that looks like they belong out there…it’s hard to see it. Then I hear from leaders at some of the youth soccer federations that complain about the the parents and how they are raising up these kids and what sounds like problems similar to what we see in AAU basketball and I don’t have much faith. I feel the same about basketball and we see the results with the best players in the world are no longer American and I think youth sports in America in general are in shambles.

Agree with most of this. But with basketball, I think we've gone in cycles. The 90's teams were dominant. The early to mid-2000's, not so much. 2008-2014 was a really good stretch. Right now we're in more of a down-cycle, but there's no reason to think it won't change. People said the world had caught up with us in 2004, then we pulled away again. 

But when it comes to soccer, I doubt it will ever change. Death, taxes, and countries with 1% of our population beating us. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 5:06 PM, HoosierFaithful said:

MLS developmental academies have largely fixed youth level coaching issues imo 

I think MLS has improved Concacaf as a whole more to the benefit of smaller countries than the USA

On 6/29/2024 at 10:04 AM, ledies22 said:

This has been narrative since the mid 90s.  Unfortunately other regional teams are catching us and Mexico more than we are catching the Germans and Brazilians

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Agree with most of this. But with basketball, I think we've gone in cycles. The 90's teams were dominant. The early to mid-2000's, not so much. 2008-2014 was a really good stretch. Right now we're in more of a down-cycle, but there's no reason to think it won't change. People said the world had caught up with us in 2004, then we pulled away again. 

But when it comes to soccer, I doubt it will ever change. Death, taxes, and countries with 1% of our population beating us. 

US quality is so far below…from first touch, to dribbling, passing, and horrible at creating and finishing shots. Heck half our team weren’t homegrown through the academies…including our best ones. If this is our golden age then maybe it’s a golden shower…because that’s what they play like when any pressure at all is on.