2024 Olympic Games

Right now we're leading in all three types of medals. Pretty crazy that we've been ahead of China in golds for most of the Olympics. That's got to be irritating them. 

I dug up this gem I saved from 3 years ago. We ended up with 39 golds to their 38. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 10.58.08 AM.png

21 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Right now we're leading in all three types of medals. Pretty crazy that we've been ahead of China in golds for most of the Olympics. That's got to be irritating them. 

I dug up this gem I saved from 3 years ago. We ended up with 39 golds to their 38. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 10.58.08 AM.png

Yeah, I always have to take China’s Gold count with a grain of salt since a large portion of them are in sports most Americans think of as amusement. Shooting, table tennis and such. Not to diminish those sports but most high level athletes wouldn’t choose those to compete in.

In other thoughts, this seems to be the most successful Olympics in my memory for the American distance runners! USA, USA!

Edited by Drroogh

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Yeah, I always have to take China’s Gold count with a grain of salt since a large portion of them are in sports most Americans think of as amusement. Shooting, table tennis and such. Not to diminish those sports but most high level athletes wouldn’t choose those to compete in.

In other thoughts, this seems to be the most successful Olympics in my memory for the American distance runners! USA, USA!

They are legit at gymnastics usually…which isn’t that the pinnacle of athletics?  Think they only took silver this year. Diving and swimming they have pretty elite athletes as well. We do usually overtake them once we get to track and field though.

The men's water polo team won a thriller over Australia on penalty shots to reach the semifinals. 

Johnny Hooper was ejected early in the match after a video review showed him appearing to punch Aussie Chaz Poot in the face. In reality, Poot had had held him under water for nearly the entire 30-second possession and Hooper was flailing his arm trying to get above the surface. The ejection wiped out the goal, which had tied the match at 2, and gave Australia a penalty shot, which they converted to go up 3-1. Not only that, they were given a one-man advantage for 4 minutes, which is half a period in water polo. The U.S. fell behind 5-2, but came back to tie the match at 7 and send it to a shootout, which the Americans won. 

The Aussie was seen laughing and clapping his hands on the bench after the ejection. 

https://www.sfgate.com/olympics/article/usa-water-polo-brutality-penalty-olympics-19626265.php

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The men's water polo team won a thriller over Australia on penalty shots to reach the semifinals. 

Johnny Hooper was ejected early in the match after a video review showed him appearing to punch Aussie Chaz Poot in the face. In reality, Poot had had held him under water for nearly the entire 30-second possession and Hooper was flailing his arm trying to get above the surface. The ejection wiped out the goal, which had tied the match at 2, and gave Australia a penalty shot, which they converted to go up 3-1. Not only that, they were given a one-man advantage for 4 minutes, which is half a period in water polo. The U.S. fell behind 5-2, but came back to tie the match at 7 and send it to a shootout, which the Americans won. 

The Aussie was seen laughing and clapping his hands on the bench after the ejection. 

https://www.sfgate.com/olympics/article/usa-water-polo-brutality-penalty-olympics-19626265.php

I think that is kinda the norm in that sport. Every time I watch someone is drowning or pretending to.

17 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Men’s basketball has their hands full with Serbia.  

Unfortunately I think everyone saw this coming after that near-miss against South Sudan, but I thought it was more likely to be in the gold medal game against Germany...who the U.S. will now be playing for bronze if these guys don't get their heads out of their butts. 

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone wins 400m hurdles running a WR…50.37

You could almost see the life draining out of the Dutch runner when she realized S M-L was pulling away. Don’t feel sorry for her after what she did in the 4*400 mixed relay.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My favorite Team USA Basketball Team

Forty Years Ago, Indiana's Steve Alford Was Unstoppable In The Olympics

I grew up a couple of doors down from the Alfords in New Castle and was in elementary school when they won it.  That gold medal is heavier than what it looks.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My favorite Team USA Basketball Team

Forty Years Ago, Indiana's Steve Alford Was Unstoppable In The Olympics

I went back and looked at their scores. Crazy how dominant this team was, and this was with college players. 

The Dream Team mouth-breathers probably don't even know about this group. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Gold medal for the women's soccer team. 1-0 over Brazil. 

In the meantime China won the Team Table Tennis Gold! One more reason to not pay attention to the total medal count, although I unfortunately am?

US Women's Basketball team barely survived.  I wanted them to win more so the U.S. could tie China in Gold Medals more than I have any affinity for the team.  

Feel sorry for the French player that put her foot on the line in the rush for that last shot.  

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

US Women's Basketball team barely survived.  I wanted them to win more so the U.S. could tie China in Gold Medals more than I have any affinity for the team.  

Feel sorry for the French player that put her foot on the line in the rush for that last shot.  

I only saw the fourth quarter, but the half-court offense was brutal. I didn't see much of their other games, but it seemed like all they were doing was trying to beat their defender off the dribble, and if they were successful, get a layup, some of which they just threw off the backboard. 

France honestly deserved this more. Sports can be cruel. 

Tragic news.  Breakdancing will NOT be in the 2028 Olympics.

Cricket, flag football, baseball/softball, lacrosse, and squash will be added as sports, however.

What the hell is squash anyway?  I thought it was a vegetable.