2024 Olympic Games

Lilly King headed back to the Olympics in the 100m Breaststroke.  From the coverage on NBC, it seems that Indianapolis is knocking it out of the park with the Swimming trials. 

Swimming is my favorite Olympic sport to watch, summer or winter, though overall I prefer the the Winter games. 

As far as other summer sports,

• I prefer the longer distances in track and field over the sprints. 
  • Track Relays are always exciting. 
  • The field sports are meh.
  • I have no interest in Basketball. 
  • My daughter absolutely loves women's gymnastics, and I enjoy watching that with her. 
  • I can watch the U.S. in soccer. 
  • I enjoy watching Beach Volleyball, but not for the right reasons.  
  • I always like watching golf, so glad it's a sport now.
  • Thumbs up to rowing.  I enjoy it, but not sure why.
  • I can watch cycling if I'm in the right mood.
  • Boxing...no

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

So, breakdancing is being introduced as one of the 4 new 'events' for the 2024 Olympics.  Meanwhile, baseball, softball, and karate have been removed. 

Seriously.  

Edit:  The other new events are surfing, skateboarding, and sport climbing.

Edited by 5fouls

Wall climbing came up in family discussions and I mentioned when I took the kids years ago the instructor told my 12 yo son it wasn’t a race! Then my now adult son replied how horrible it was the instructor had dashed his dreams of becoming an olympian!😂

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Lilly King headed back to the Olympics in the 100m Breaststroke.  From the coverage on NBC, it seems that Indianapolis is knocking it out of the park with the Swimming trials. 

Swimming is my favorite Olympic sport to watch, summer or winter, though overall I prefer the the Winter games. 

• My daughter absolutely loves women's gymnastics, and I enjoy watching that with her. 
  • Boxing...no

We went down last night for a bit just to check it out. Really, really cool and no surprise how well Indy is doing. We've gotten to know a few of the Carmel swimmers and families over the years. Cool to see so many represented with this chance. The whole Swim City, USA, Swimdiana,etc....is taking over downtown. 

In terms of the Olympics overall though. I'm not sure when I lost my interest. Back in the day these people became heroes and legends.

I'll watch the swim stuff. Not much else. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 8:09 PM, 5fouls said:

• Boxing...no

It's really sad that boxing, not only Olympic boxing, but the sport as a whole has fallen so far...

It can be argued that boxing took a back seat only to baseball until the late 50s/early 60s as America's favorite sport...

I know I'll watch some of it...but it's not the priority it used to be... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's really sad that boxing, not only Olympic boxing, but the sport as a whole has fallen so far...

It can be argued that boxing took a back seat only to baseball until the late 50s/early 60s as America's favorite sport...

I know I'll watch some of it...but it's not the priority it used to be... 

My dad, and by extension me, would watch Friday/Saturday night boxing on TV in the early to mid 70's.  

• Like 3

My thinking is now with all the sports getting coverage instead of bemoaning the lessening of some sports, celebrate being able to watch and enjoy whole new worlds. When watching something you’re unfamiliar with listen to the commentary explaining the sport. Try and understand what separates the olympians from the rest. Just because I can play badminton doesn’t mean I could return even a single hit in the olympics!

14 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

My thinking is now with all the sports getting coverage instead of bemoaning the lessening of some sports, celebrate being able to watch and enjoy whole new worlds. When watching something you’re unfamiliar with listen to the commentary explaining the sport. Try and understand what separates the olympians from the rest. Just becauthe se I can play badminton doesn’t mean I could return even a single hit in the olympics!

Badminton is a sport.  I have no issue with that.  Admittedly, without having all the facts, to me the Breakdancing 'event' sounds like it belongs on America's Got Talent, not in the Olympics.  

30 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Badminton is a sport.  I have no issue with that.  Admittedly, without having all the facts, to me the Breakdancing 'event' sounds like it belongs on America's Got Talent, not in the Olympics.  

Yeah that was my original thought as well but when you look a little deeper some of what they do is similar to gymnastics. 

On 6/18/2024 at 1:21 PM, Seeking6 said:

In terms of the Olympics overall though. I'm not sure when I lost my interest. Back in the day these people became heroes and legends.

We really need an athlete or a team to come out of nowhere and make a run, like the men's soccer team winning a medal for the first time since 1904 or somebody getting on the podium in a sport dominated by non-Americans. USA basketball beating teams by 50 just doesn't move the needle for anyone. 

• Like 1

I'm missing swimming conversation???

Great trials all around. Wish I could've made it down for the meet. Consensus nationally is that Indy put on an amazing event. When planning for this was in the works, Indiana Swimming said the goal was to host an event so great that that the trials won't be taken away from us in the future. We want to host it every year. I think we've made an argument. 

It doesn't get as much pub, but behind the scenes, a lot of stuff was going on - the 20-30k per night spectators didn't just happen to randomly show up:
- ticket blocks were sold swim clubs very early
- Indy area high schools opened up their pools for out of area teams visiting for the trials to train in (this happens to fall in an important summer training time, as our age group championship meets are in July)
- The meet coincided with the US Master National Championships at the IU Natatorium and the Multi-Cultural zone meet down south. 
- The pool at lucas oil also was open for an Indiana meet for elite level (under 18) swimmers to swim in. And I believe they opened it up for the Masters swimmers to experience swimming in. 

Yes it was the olympic trials, but it was also a celebration of the sport. 

I know there's a few Indiana swimmers who made the Olympics, which is the ultimate goal. I also want to point out the number of Indiana swimmers who made the finals and semi-finals - a few of them under 18 years old. 

Indiana swimming is definitely a state (LSC) that punches above its weight class. 

And not sure if you saw yet, but LA just announced that they too are going to host swimming in the SoFi Stadium for the 2028 olympics. 

image.thumb.png.5a54a65864a870dc8af1995de0f22ce5.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Great trials all around. Wish I could've made it down for the meet. Consensus nationally is that Indy put on an amazing event. When planning for this was in the works, Indiana Swimming said the goal was to host an event so great that that the trials won't be taken away from us in the future. We want to host it every year. I think we've made an argument. 

It doesn't get as much pub, but behind the scenes, a lot of stuff was going on - the 20-30k per night spectators didn't just happen to randomly show up:
- Indy area high schools opened up their pools for out of area teams visiting for the trials to train in (this happens to fall in an important summer training time, as our age group championship meets are in July)
- The meet coincided with the US Master National Championships at the IU Natatorium and the Multi-Cultural zone meet down south. 
- The pool at lucas oil also was open for an Indiana meet for elite level (under 18) swimmers to swim in. And I believe they opened it up for the Masters swimmers to experience swimming in. 

I know there's a few Indiana swimmers who made the Olympics, which is the ultimate goal. I also want to point out the number of Indiana swimmers who made the finals and semi-finals - a few of them under 18 years old. 

Indiana swimming is definitely a state (LSC) that punches above its weight class. 

And not sure if you saw yet, but LA just announced that they too are going to host swimming in the SoFi Stadium for the 2028 olympics. 

I'm not a water person.  Haven't been in a pool for several years.  But, I find swimming, especially at an elite level, a riveting sport to watch.  

Indianapolis hit a grand slam hosting this event.  And, if it comes back to the city 4 years from now, I might just be one of the 20,000 plus there to watch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I’m glad the meet was successful! I wanted to go until I saw ticket prices. After watching 1 final session on TV I regretted not just spending the money to go. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

What Olympic sport/event/athlete are you most looking forward to watching?

Me:  Swimming, and more specifically, those with IU or Indiana ties.

I’m also excited to see swimming. I always enjoy watching it so seeing it get some publicity every 4 years is fun. 

I also like watching track. Specifically, I’d love to see Noah Lyles have a good meet and maybe get a world record. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Not officially the Olympics yet, but I noticed USA basketball is down 14 at the half in an exhibition with South Sudan? WTF? That's the weakest team in our group...

Been watching it off and on.  Team USA absolutely getting taken to school.  The better team today is winning.