Dan Hurley to Lakers???

5 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I suspect so as well. Usually when news like this actually breaks, things happen fast or not at all. 

This only gets leaked to Woj in two situations:

Either everything's been discussed and an agreement is in place, in which case the official announcement comes shortly after.

Or it gets leaked because Hurley wants UConn to know exactly how seriously he's considering leaving, in which case UConn needs time to match the offer. 

The delay since news broke told us it was clearly the latter scenario.

Just talking out loud but maybe the vibe Hurley got was I need to create my own culture...and how can I do that if Lebron/AD aren't on same page,etc. with what he wants culture wise.

I always thought the Lakers trying to get Hurley was a long term move.....post Lebron AD.

This is a good thing for college basketball because it can't keep losing the best coaches. I never felt he would leave for the Lakers because of his wife not wanting to leave the east coast. If he wants to go to the NBA I think the Nets or the Knicks jobs will come open in the next couple of years.

42 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just talking out loud but maybe the vibe Hurley got was I need to create my own culture...and how can I do that if Lebron/AD aren't on same page,etc. with what he wants culture wise.

I always thought the Lakers trying to get Hurley was a long term move.....post Lebron AD.

Word is the Lakers job is not considered very good within the NBA coaching circles. A lot of pressure, cash strapped ownership, and a terribly constructed roster that is heavily impacted by the newer CBA. LeBron is old AD is constantly hurt and the rest of the roster is not very good to say the least. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to point out that the supposedly massive offer the Lakers were giving Hurley matches the total value we offered Brad Stevens three years ago. Higher AAV, sure, but barely more than what Kentucky was said to have offered Hurley this cycle. You'd think the premier program in the NBA would have more to offer than state universities.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Word is the Lakers job is not considered very good within the NBA coaching circles. A lot of pressure, cash strapped ownership, and a terribly constructed roster that is heavily impacted by the newer CBA. LeBron is old AD is constantly hurt and the rest of the roster is not very good to say the least. 

Makes sense.  Wasting a pick on Bronny (assuming they do) just says we are not serious about winning.  That father-son duo could be a real headache to manage as a coach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

"High on prestige," said a Western Conference scout. "S--- in every other way."

"There's also some comfort in knowing you're going to get fired and, while the blame will fall on you from the Lakers' ownership and front-office perspective, it won't be assigned to you by the rest of the league."

"The team is resource-poor, in that ownership is not very rich by NBA standards," the scout said. "Two factions vie for franchise influence: the Magic crew vs. the Kobe crew. Superstar sensibilities run the franchise. Too many agendas have to be serviced. Community pressure is unrealistic and unrelenting. It's an old team with player personnel interference from its superstars. And the team is just not good enough."

There's also the reported influence of the Klutch Agency, run by high-profile agent Rich Paul, which represents the Lakers' two biggest stars, LeBron James and Anthony Davis.

As a result, the perception is that there is no clear chain of command, leaving a head coach wondering to whom he really answers

"Look at the list of coaches since Phil. You get none of the credit, which is what it is with LeBron. They are incredibly cheap, which affects the ability to fill out the coaching staff. And you have completely unrealistic expectations, in part from media and in part from ownership."

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nba/nba-confidential-lakers-head-coaching-job-attractive

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

"High on prestige," said a Western Conference scout. "S--- in every other way."

"There's also some comfort in knowing you're going to get fired and, while the blame will fall on you from the Lakers' ownership and front-office perspective, it won't be assigned to you by the rest of the league."

"The team is resource-poor, in that ownership is not very rich by NBA standards," the scout said. "Two factions vie for franchise influence: the Magic crew vs. the Kobe crew. Superstar sensibilities run the franchise. Too many agendas have to be serviced. Community pressure is unrealistic and unrelenting. It's an old team with player personnel interference from its superstars. And the team is just not good enough."

There's also the reported influence of the Klutch Agency, run by high-profile agent Rich Paul, which represents the Lakers' two biggest stars, LeBron James and Anthony Davis.

As a result, the perception is that there is no clear chain of command, leaving a head coach wondering to whom he really answers

"Look at the list of coaches since Phil. You get none of the credit, which is what it is with LeBron. They are incredibly cheap, which affects the ability to fill out the coaching staff. And you have completely unrealistic expectations, in part from media and in part from ownership."

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nba/nba-confidential-lakers-head-coaching-job-attractive

I was surprised at the Lakers offer but the Jeanie Buss era has been much different than her dad's: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-low-ball-offer-for-dan-hurley-is-exactly-whats-wrong-with-the-nbas-marquee-franchise/ 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Thanks 1