Dan Hurley to Lakers???

14 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

He has never over reacted to anything before. I'm surprised. 

I was just saying that using the 1 person who has excelled under the current NCAA conditions with 2 national championships, of all people wouldn't want to leave just because it's poo poo.

If Self, Few, or Painter were to leave, Calipari... and the like.... maybe.... would be a better. Hurley has always said he wanted to be an NBA head coach. I just think using Hurley as the platform to take this jump with is a bad example. Not saying it isnt there, just a bad example in using Hurley.

The NBA pays more. It's the pinnacle of the sport. That's why coaches leave. Some college coaches turn the NBA down, but not many. Hurley leaving, if he does, means nothing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

The NBA pays more. It's the pinnacle of the sport. That's why coaches leave. Some college coaches turn the NBA down, but not many. Hurley leaving, if he does, means nothing.

Still doesn’t explain declaring “the college sports we know it is finished.”

11 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

that was finished 2 years ago with the transfers and the NIL. Hurley potentially leaving doesn't change that for me. 

College sports are not finished. College sports "as we know it" is finished. 

We will start to see advertisements on the floors, uniforms, fields within a couple years I would imagine. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Right, my point is that it is not finished. It's the same as it ever was.

Now I’ve got the Talking Heads song Once in a Lifetime stuck in my head!

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was,…..

Edited by Drroogh
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

that was finished 2 years ago with the transfers and the NIL. Hurley potentially leaving doesn't change that for me. 

We will start to see advertisements on the floors, uniforms, fields within a couple years I would imagine. 

Don't forget players no longer being required to attend classes or pursue a degree. I'd bet that's reality in 3-5 years.

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Don't forget players no longer being required to attend classes or pursue a degree. I'd bet that's reality in 3-5 years.

Yeah i can see this happening soon.  Separating Sports from education within the institute.  Basically a Development league for the NBA and maybe even specific teams in the future

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

I have a feeling that he’s smart enough to change his approach or style, if that’s what you want to call it.

The playing style would fit fine but it is his intensity and demanding style won't fly for NBA players. It would just be hard to coach like that for 82 games.

I think in the end he will stay at UCONN. I think it will come down that he doesn't want to live his family across country because they are easy coast people. I could see him going to the NBA if jobs like Philly or New York come open.

Edited by IU Scott

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

It wasn't just about Hurley leaving but it was what started it. Seth Greensburg was on there talking about things like players needing to sign contracts and eliminate where a player can leave every year. It also came up whether players will even need to be students if they are considered employees. Seth was very adamant that players still needs to be students because they need to be part of the university. If they aren't students they need to just make club sports and do away with what we have now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It wasn't just about Hurley leaving but it was what started it. Seth Greensburg was on there talking about things like players needing to sign contracts and eliminate where a player can leave every year. It also came up whether players will even need to be students if they are considered employees. Seth was very adamant that players still needs to be students because they need to be part of the university. If they aren't students they need to just make club sports and do away with what we have now.

Hang on...that will be here soon enough.

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The playing style would fit fine but it is his intensity and demanding style won't fly for NBA players. It would just be hard to coach like that for 82 games.

I think in the end he will stay at UCONN. I think it will come down that he doesn't want to live his family across country because they are easy coast people. I could see him going to the NBA if jobs like Philly or New York come open.

I am going to wager he leaves. Money talks and the Lakers will pay him whatever he wants. It would be dumb to turn it down. He can always leave later if he doesn't like it. 

8 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I am going to wager he leaves. Money talks and the Lakers will pay him whatever he wants. It would be dumb to turn it down. He can always leave later if he doesn't like it. 

Sucks to be in his position….. haha

Stoke his ego with a 3 peat.

Cash in some major $$$$$.

10 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Someone on ESPN (can’t remember who) made a great point yesterday. Even if I doesn’t work out with the Lakers, he would still be welcomed back with open arms to UCONN or anywhere else in college for that matter. I think he takes the opportunity.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 3:07 PM, IU Scott said:

Yeah, you know he'd love the Knicks job. I think Snooki would be thrilled if he even took the Nets job. 

It's no secret that Andrea is a Jersey girl through and through, growing up in Freehold (Bruce Springsteen's hometown!) and later Toms River. "I channel my Jackie Kennedy," she told Hearst CT Media last year, "but I can go to Snooki in five seconds."

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/article/dan-hurley-los-angeles-lakers-coach-reasons-stay-19499945.php

Be funny…two national championship coaches in basketball and football end up leaving….and the two biggest legends in each sport have basically retired because of the changes in consecutive years. College sports have certainly changed…but such is life.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dgambill said:

Be funny…two national championship coaches in basketball and football end up leaving….and the two biggest legends in each sport have basically retired because of the changes in consecutive years. College sports have certainly changed…but such is life.

Whats this college sport you speak of? 🥸

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Like 2

On 6/6/2024 at 1:15 PM, ledies22 said:

not to mention the $20 million payroll starting next year.