Dan Hurley to Lakers???

Don't know much about the family but saw on Twitter where Hurley once said his wife had a hard problem moving from Rhode Island to UConn....we'll see on this one. 

From a coaching perspective it's the pinnacle job in the NBA and all of basketball probably. Of course it's been watered down over the years but it's still the Lakers. We shall see.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Don't know much about the family but saw on Twitter where Hurley once said his wife had a hard problem moving from Rhode Island to UConn....we'll see on this one. 

From a coaching perspective it's the pinnacle job in the NBA and all of basketball probably. Of course it's been watered down over the years but it's still the Lakers. We shall see.

Hurley's dream was always to coach in the NBA, and it is hard to argue that Lakers head coach is not the pinnacle of the NBA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If this happens then that is another indictment of coaching in college. I think these coaches are just tired dealing with the transfer portal.

i get what you're saying, I dont know if I totally agree with it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I imagine an 8 figure salary would help ease the transition.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wonder if Karaban regrets his decision...

And McNeely for that matter...

If he goes, they have a window to jump into the portal...

One wonders how badly some of these players burned their bridges?🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

I would assume this late in the process that UCONN would have to hire one of the assistants as an interim coach. It is probably to late to make a national search since players are already coming back to campus. Plus all of the players will hit the portal and with no coach you have little chance if retaining those players.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would assume this late in the process that UCONN would have to hire one of the assistants as an interim coach. It is probably to late to make a national search since players are already coming back to campus. Plus all of the players will hit the portal and with no coach you have little chance if retaining those players.

I've heard 

Kimani Young (UConn asst)

Ed Cooley

Steve Pikiell 

So far this morning...

3 hours ago, ledies22 said:

There is smoke. Seen a couple things like

Hurley and Lakers to “escalate talks”

”Lakers preparing massive offer”

personal feeling. He’ll be a Laker by the end of the weekend. 

He will only be there as long as Lebron wants him there. That is career suicide for Hurley.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

i get what you're saying, I dont know if I totally agree with it.

I guess ESPN radio(Greenie) show thinks this is an indictment of college sports. They spent the first hour talking about this and it was all about how the college sports we know it is finished.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It wouldn’t break my heart to see Pikiell leave Rutgers. 

It would be extremely entertaining if he left and this big time recruiting class he brought in never actually played together at Rutgers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I imagine an 8 figure salary would help ease the transition.

$10M a year in Los Angeles vs $8-9M in Storrs? Even with CT being a high tax state this won't be about $. All about timing, family, and the landscape of college basketball. It's why Stevens said no to it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't see Hurley's style of coaching doing well in the NBA.

I have a feeling that he’s smart enough to change his approach or style, if that’s what you want to call it.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

$10M a year in Los Angeles vs $8-9M in Storrs? Even with CT being a high tax state this won't be about $. All about timing, family, and the landscape of college basketball. It's why Stevens said no to it. 

I would guess it's close to twice that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I guess ESPN radio(Greenie) show thinks this is an indictment of college sports. They spent the first hour talking about this and it was all about how the college sports we know it is finished.

He has never over reacted to anything before. I'm surprised. 

I was just saying that using the 1 person who has excelled under the current NCAA conditions with 2 national championships, of all people wouldn't want to leave just because it's poo poo.

If Self, Few, or Painter were to leave, Calipari... and the like.... maybe.... would be a better. Hurley has always said he wanted to be an NBA head coach. I just think using Hurley as the platform to take this jump with is a bad example. Not saying it isnt there, just a bad example in using Hurley.

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 1