RIP Bill Walton

Cancer sucks.  With all of the advancements in AI, I hope a cure is just around the corner.  I did not care for Walton as an announcer, but his passion for the Pac 12 was undeniable. 

RIP  

• Like 3

Sad to hear it. Undeniable talent. Wonder where he could have ranked all time in the NBA if he did not.have all the injuries. As a broadcaster, he drove me  crazy. I couldn't listen to the rambling. The hippie routine was old and played out. But he was who he was. 100%.

• Like 1

Walton might of been a top 5 center had it not been for the injuries. Gonna miss his announcing.  would watch meaningless games just because of him. I remember watching a Celtics with Celtic announcer and Heinsohn. Walton joined in and Heinsohn kept talking up the greatness of Pierce and how he might be most talented ever.  Walton say I have 2 word response for that statement. LARRY BIRD.  Heinsohn moved on to another subject.  

25 minutes ago, Courtsense2 said:

I don't have him as a top 5 center.  But good player 

1 minute ago, ATX_sig said:

Walton might of been a top 5 center had it not been for the injuries. Gonna miss his announcing.  would watch meaningless games just because of him. I remember watching a Celtics with Celtic announcer and Heinsohn. Walton joined in and Heinsohn kept talking up the greatness of Pierce and how he might be most talented ever.  Walton say I have 2 word response for that statement. LARRY BIRD.  Heinsohn moved on to another subject.  

I was speaking strictly about college centers...In that realm he's definitely top 5, and really only has Jabbar to compare with...

• Like 2

Just now, IUFLA said:

I was speaking strictly about college centers...In that realm he's definitely top 5, and really only has Jabbar to compare with...

I definately agree that he is top 5 in college.  

• Like 1

He was a great player and actually was a good announcer for NBC on the NBA broadcast. Watching old IU games he did the 92 tournament against LSU and Shaq. I just don't know what happened to him but I couldn't watch games he did on ESPN the last few years.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

I never really got to see him in his prime. Sad thing for me personally I'm so anti UCLA everything because of Wooden I could never really appreciate guys like Walton or others.

With that said when healthy he's undoubtedly on the Mount Rushmore of College Players. RIP Bill Walton. 

• Like 1

Hate UCLA & Sam Gilbert….even 1980 team that was removed from NCAA tournament runner up 

Wooden seemed like a good guy 

Refused to play in 1947 tournament that banned African American players 

He coached during turbulent times 

MAX stream 1968 

IMG_2022.jpeg

Edited by Purdue7

19 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Would you have Shaq in this list?

Top 5 college centers? Debatable for sure... 

Jabbar, Walton, and Russell are top 3...

Ewing, Mikan, Kurland, Lucas, Chamberlain, Robinson, Sampson, Olajuwon and Shaq would make a good conversation...Shaq's Achilles heel was he never made it past the 2nd round of the tourney...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ewing, Mikan, Kurland, Lucas, Chamberlain, Robinson, Sampson, Olajuwon and Shaq would make a good conversation...Shaq's Achilles heel was he never made it past the 2nd round of the tourney...

Love him or hate him, Laettner deserves to be in the conversation too (2x champ).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Edey?  :coffee:

• Haha 2

Had the pleasure of meeting Bill Walton a few times in my years with the Celtics. 

He's as genuine and real as he appears on TV. An amazing ambassador for the game, and even better person. 

The Celtics was my first job out of school, so I was low man on the totem pole in my department, but each time I interacted with him he always remembered my name. 

Seems insignificant, but for someone at his level it's not the norm, and says a lot about his character and the type of person he was. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Had the pleasure of meeting Bill Walton a few times in my years with the Celtics. 

He's as genuine and real as he appears on TV. An amazing ambassador for the game, and even better person. 

The Celtics was my first job out of school, so I was low man on the totem pole in my department, but each time I interacted with him he always remembered my name. 

Seems insignificant, but for someone at his level it's not the norm, and says a lot about his character and the type of person he was. 

I read earlier today he had a habit of anyone he came across to right down names, city or wherever they were from,etc...so he could remember. Small things like that do add up. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I read earlier today he had a habit of anyone he came across to right down names, city or wherever they were from,etc...so he could remember. Small things like that do add up. 

Don't feel so special now, do you @BGleas ?  😎