IU Basketball Schedule '24/25

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't think that has to be said is all I'm saying....but as RB is a lifelong White Sox fan his insecurities get in the way of some of his journalism. To float the well they should beat us and if they don't that's big troubles for them stuff in August is pretty weak. Just my 2 cents. 

It's topical in August (today) because the matchup was just announced and his readership/audience includes both fan bases. 

If he plopped a similar story out there today about how IU had to beat South Carolina, I would concede the point.

But, as a sports fan who lives and works in his market, I appreciate him writing a column about it today when the story is fresh.  And, yes, he is a 'columnist' and not a 'reporter'. Huge difference in journalistic terms.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's topical in August (today) because the matchup was just announced and his readership/audience includes both fan bases. 

If he plopped a similar story out there today about how IU had to beat South Carolina, I would concede the point.

But, as a sports fan who lives and works in his market, I appreciate him writing a column about it today when the story is fresh.  And, yes, he is a 'columnist' and not a 'reporter'. Huge difference in journalistic terms.

Schedule release at 10:01am, Pressure on Woody tweet at 10:09am. Oh well. Has people like us talking so I guess it's worth it.

To keep it consistent though he also said the day before that the losing coach between Gators and Canes in week 1 is on the hot seat. Seems to be something he points out routinely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Even this?

"A loss to Louisville would shatter the narrative that better days are coming in Bloomington." 

Really? 

Well, it would back us into a corner because we'll lack a maquis neutral court win if we get into the loser's bracket. Every single non-conference game not in the Bahamas is at home. Every one. 

If he's going to schedule this way, it's naturally going to put more pressure on these types of games. If we don't perform against UL, then this team will need to get some shovels, because they'll be in a deep hole as far as every ranking system is concerned. And if that comes to fruition, the narrative with this fan base will be doom and gloom. You might not agree if the doom is warranted, but I'll bet $100 that's what will happen. 

I think he is spot on. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Well, it would back us into a corner because we'll lack a maquis neutral court win if we get into the loser's bracket. Every single non-conference game not in the Bahamas is at home. Every one. 

If he's going to schedule this way, it's naturally going to put more pressure on these types of games. If we don't perform against UL, then this team will need to get some shovels, because they'll be in a deep hole as far as every ranking system is concerned. And if that comes to fruition, the narrative with this fan base will be doom and gloom. You might not agree if the doom is warranted, but I'll bet $100 that's what will happen. 

I think he is spot on. 

Dude...Come on...I know fan is short for "fanatic" but to me it's really not even a rational thought to say the "narrative is shattered" in the 5th game of the season...Regardless of the circumstances...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

On 8/22/2024 at 4:21 PM, IUFLA said:

Dude...Come on...I know fan is short for "fanatic" but to me it's really not even a rational thought to say the "narrative is shattered" in the 5th game of the season...Regardless of the circumstances...

Well,   I tend to agree, but it would be because losing to UL would probably also mean that we couldn't defend, and the inability to defend is what I see as holding this team back and thus it would be a major red flag.

11 hours ago, MSHoosier said:

Well,   I tend to agree, but it would be because losing to UL would probably also mean that we couldn't defend, and the inability to defend is what I see as holding this team back and thus it would be a major red flag.

I hear what you're saying, but a bad game in the 5th game of the year doesn't necessarily define anything...The pre-season is to pad the resume as much as possible and get ready for the conference season...

My own thought is we'll do fine in the Battle for Atlantis...Might even win it...If you look at who got what back, I'd say Gonzaga is the most dangerous team with us 2nd...Arizona lost quite a bit, but they have 2 kids in Love and Townsend (remember him during the tournament last year for Oakland?) who can definitely score the ball...

43 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hear what you're saying, but a bad game in the 5th game of the year doesn't necessarily define anything...The pre-season is to pad the resume as much as possible and get ready for the conference season...

My own thought is we'll do fine in the Battle for Atlantis...Might even win it...If you look at who got what back, I'd say Gonzaga is the most dangerous team with us 2nd...Arizona lost quite a bit, but they have 2 kids in Love and Townsend (remember him during the tournament last year for Oakland?) who can definitely score the ball...

I think Caleb Love may be this year's Jess Settles award winner..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I hear what you're saying, but a bad game in the 5th game of the year doesn't necessarily define anything...The pre-season is to pad thee resume as much as possible and get ready for the conference season...

Can't disagree on the early nature of the matchup. Hope you're right about how it plays out. 

• Like 1

A game we should win, but I think everyone is overlooking Louisville. Looking at what Pat Kelsey did last year, and from the 2 games this summer, it looks like it will be a fun offense to watch. They played lesser quality of opponents, yes, but still impressive stats.

2 games:

222 points

60 assists on 80 FGs

32/78 3pt; 41%

No bigs, small ball, moves the ball, and chucks up 3's.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The only problem with a game like this is it will cause fans to jump off th cliff earlier than expected if we lose.

And some folks will start sewing banner #6 if we win.  Both groups love the Hoosiers.  Different folks will react different ways.  It's a good early test.  

Edited by Parakeet Jones

14 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

And some folks will start sewing banner #6 if we win.  Both groups love the Hoosiers.  Different folks will react different ways.  It's a good early test.  

I don't really think this happens, though. We are fans, right?