IU Basketball Schedule '24/25

The lesson of the NET is that marquee wins don't matter, it's all about keeping your efficiency up. I don't love the lack of any appointment viewing (outside Atlantis) as a fan, but understand why the program made the schedule they did. Also I'm hoping they move one of these home games to Indy. I've enjoyed going to those the last two years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

This year’s schedule doesn’t look too bad to me. You get 4 games against decent to good teams with Atlantis and South Carolina, 2 early cupcake games against 300+ ranked teams, 1 game against a 200-300 ranked team, and 3 games against 100-200 ranked teams. Seems pretty balanced to me even if we don’t have a marquee matchup outside of Atlantis.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maedhros said:

The lesson of the NET is that marquee wins don't matter, it's all about keeping your efficiency up. I don't love the lack of any appointment viewing (outside Atlantis) as a fan, but understand why the program made the schedule they did. Also I'm hoping they move one of these home games to Indy. I've enjoyed going to those the last two years.

I partially agree with this. But if you schedule cupcakes and don’t win by 20+, it hurts your efficiency. If you schedule games against good teams and lose a close game, it doesn’t hurt your efficiency. So I don’t really buy the notion that you can schedule your way to a good NET. You still have to play well in relation to the quality of your opponent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

This year’s schedule doesn’t look too bad to me. You get 4 games against decent to good teams with Atlantis and South Carolina, 2 early cupcake games against 300+ ranked teams, 1 game against a 200-300 ranked team, and 3 games against 100-200 ranked teams. Seems pretty balanced to me even if we don’t have a marquee matchup outside of Atlantis.

It all depends on the matchups in the Battle 4 Atlantis. LVille, WVU and Davidson were terrible last year. Very likely games against one bad, one average to good (OK or Prov) and one good. Probably only one game against either Gonzaga or AZ. No true road games on the schedule. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson

54 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It all depends on the matchups in the Battle 4 Atlantis. LVille, WVU and Davidson were terrible last year. Very likely games against one bad, one average to good (OK or Prov) and one good. Probably only one game against either Gonzaga or AZ. No true road games on the schedule. 

Fair, the Atlantis draw will play a big factor. Right now WVU is projected 83rd and Lville is projected 62nd by torvik - so both should be a lot better than last year. A lot of unknowns with all the transfers and coaching changes, but theoretically Davidson should be the only bad team in the field.

Maybe adding one other neutral/road game against quality competition after Atlantis would’ve been ideal. But all things considered I don’t think this is a terrible schedule, even if it lacks marquee games outside of Atlantis.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It's notable how the IU schedule has softened over the years. Looking at Mike Davis' last season in 2005-06, IU played non-con games against Duke, KY, UConn and Butler. They also played true mid-major road games at W IL, IN ST, Charlotte and Ball ST. Finished 19-12 and made the NCAAT as a 6 seed. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It's notable how the IU schedule has softened over the years. Looking at Mike Davis' last season in 2005-06, IU played non-con games against Duke, KY, UConn and Butler. They also played true mid-major road games at W IL, IN ST, Charlotte and Ball ST. Finished 19-12 and made the NCAAT as a 6 seed. 

I think it looks worse with the Atlantis field being less than stellar this year. I agree with your point though. 

• Like 1

"A marquee win or two in the Bahamas will be pivotal in building a resume before conference play begins. If Indiana doesn’t perform well at the Battle 4 Atlantis, the chances it will finish non-conference play without a Quad 1 win are high."

"It marks the second straight season that Indiana has not played a true road game in the non-conference."

"Indiana’s non-conference schedule this season isn’t as challenging despite a transfer portal haul ranked among the country’s best."

"Indiana has a chance to rack up plenty of wins with this schedule but will be under pressure to win in the Bahamas and Big Ten play because the rest of the slate is underwhelming."

https://www.insidethehall.com/2024/07/09/five-takeaways-from-indianas-2024-25-non-conference-schedule-release/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maedhros said:

This. I feel the complaints of the season ticket holders but IU finally got a clue. Gonzaga and Arizona are top 10.  IU will likely play 1 of those two. Rest of the teams in the 50 to 100 range. So IU will have at least 1 game against a top 10 team. Then 3 more in the top 50 to 65 range. Then every game in the conference will be tier 1 or 2 except maybe 1.  Based on Torvik IU will have 14 tier 1 games on its conference schedule.  They don't need another 5 in non-con. The six remaining conference are all tier 2's. Most fans don't seem to realize what other top teams do. I get on paper the schedule looks weak. But it's the right type of schedule. Last years was badly constructed for Kenpom/NCAA seeding. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

This. I feel the complaints of the season ticket holders but IU finally got a clue. Gonzaga and Arizona are top 10.  IU will likely play 1 of those two. Rest of the teams in the 50 to 100 range. So IU will have at least 1 game against a top 10 team. Then 3 more in the top 50 to 65 range. Then every game in the conference will be tier 1 or 2 except maybe 1.  Based on Torvik IU will have 14 tier 1 games on its conference schedule.  They don't need another 5 in non-con. The six remaining conference are all tier 2's. Most fans don't seem to realize what other top teams do. I get on paper the schedule looks weak. But it's the right type of schedule. Last years was badly constructed for Kenpom/NCAA seeding. 

Lighten up Francis, it’s just another reason for some to post their not so subtle disrespect of the program in its current state! And here we are months from actually playing basketball!

Edited by Drroogh

Just for reference this s was our non conference schedule in 1986-87 season.

Montana State I was at that game

ND

UK

Vandy

UNC Wilmington 

E. Carolina 

Morehead State 

UL

Princeton 

Illinois State 

Don't look that much different than this coming year. Also back then we had 4 pretty much guarantee wins in the conference vs UW and NW

I get it a lot of people hate Woodson and will bash him on everything even if It isn't warranted 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just for reference this s was our non conference schedule in 1986-87 season.

Montana State I was at that game

ND

UK

Vandy

UNC Wilmington 

E. Carolina 

Morehead State 

UL

Princeton 

Illinois State 

Don't look that much different than this coming year. Also back then we had 4 pretty much guarantee wins in the conference vs UW and NW

I get it a lot of people hate Woodson and will bash him on everything even if It isn't warranted 

ND and Vandy were both true road games. ND finished 24-8 and made the sweet 16. Vandy made 3rd round of NIT. 

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

ND and Vandy were both true road games. ND finished 24-8 and made the sweet 16. Vandy made 3rd round of NIT. 

I just watched that game vs UK a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't an overly talented team. Had a freshman in Rex Chapman and the kids est were just average players like James Blackmon. To me that Vandy game is comparable to the SC game this year. The other 3 games are comparable to the competition to the 3 games in the Bahamas.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just watched that game vs UK a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't an overly talented team. Had a freshman in Rex Chapman and the kids est were just average players like James Blackmon. To me that Vandy game is comparable to the SC game this year. The other 3 games are comparable to the competition to the 3 games in the Bahamas.

Just saying there are no road games until the B1G

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Just saying there are no road games until the B1G

They are just playing the same game as teams did last year like Iowa St and BYU who padded their metrics by scheduling weak competition and winning big.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kdug said:

I partially agree with this. But if you schedule cupcakes and don’t win by 20+, it hurts your efficiency. If you schedule games against good teams and lose a close game, it doesn’t hurt your efficiency. So I don’t really buy the notion that you can schedule your way to a good NET. You still have to play well in relation to the quality of your opponent.

Don’t play anywhere near the cupcakes we did last year. We played six Q4 games with several being sub-250 opponents. I see 3, 4 max Q4 games this year.