IU Basketball Schedule '24/25

19 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Here's the thing. As noted in the article, the strength of the non-con schedule is almost entirely dependent on the B4A. The risk with that is weird things can happen in a holiday tourney over Thanksgiving weekend in the Bahamas. I've been to The Atlantis. It's a fun place, but they aren't even playing in a basketball arena. It's played in a hotel conference hall with low ceilings, strange lighting and weird site lines. If IU happens to shoot poorly in game one and gets upset, they fall into the losers bracket and probably miss both AZ and Gonzaga. Or the same could happen with AZ and/or Gonz and IU gets matched against some middling teams in the winners bracket. Hopefully IU wins the whole thing and it builds their resume, but there are variables that could leave them with no non-con games against top 50 opponents. 

You don't typically see much emphasis placed on these early holiday tourneys. They are usually fairly relaxed atmospheres with lots of off court activities. It's always great to win one, but most of all teams just don't want to come away 0-3. In 2017, AZ went 0-3, losing to Purdue (1-2) in the 7/8 game. 

FWIW, last year Villanova won the B4A over Memphis. Neither team was in the NCAAT. 

image.thumb.png.02c2a4eb583e4c78b34048563f15f416.png

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m not opposed to the type of non con schedule we have given we play in the B18, but we can’t be winning these games by single digits like last year. That was the beginning of our sorrows. We have to pound these teams. 

Well I am really looking forward to that matchup with Winthrop.  Been awhile since I have seen Indiana in a 2 v 15 game.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m not opposed to the type of non con schedule we have given we play in the B18, but we can’t be winning these games by single digits like last year. That was the beginning of our sorrows. We have to pound these teams. 

RIght on.

It was pointed out many times how many teams last year took advantage of analytics, played easy teams at home, blew them out, and didn't get penalized in the NET. 

If this is the plan, then props to the staff for playing that game. 

That said, I do not want to hear any 'shrugging off' on the importance of analytics when we beat a bad team by only 5.  

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Pat Knight returns to SSAH. 

And Steve Downing...

I'm glad we reach out and embrace our history, but it seems our history sometimes only goes back to the hiring of Coach Knight...

I'd like to see Dolson and Woody reach out to former players who played under McCracken, Watson, and Oliver like the Van Arsdales, Butch Joyner, Vern Payne, Jon McGlocklin...

They're part of our history too...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

And Steve Downing...

I'm glad we reach out and embrace our history, but it seems our history sometimes only goes back to the hiring of Coach Knight...

I'd like to see Dolson and Woody reach out to former players who played under McCracken, Watson, and Oliver like the Van Arsdales, Butch Joyner, Vern Payne, Jon McGlocklin...

They're part of our history too...

You finally found marijuana didn’t you? 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Southern ILL Edwardsville-- 286

Eastern ILL-- 320 

UNC Greensboro-- 147

Sam Houston-- 142

Miami OH-- 257

Chattanooga-- 140

Winthrop-- 176

South Carolina-- 54

has to be the most boring collection of out of conference home games we've ever had 

(the numbers behind the name is where they finished in KenPom last season)... plus 3 tough games in Atlantis 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean, we get rid of Gavitt Games and ACC/B1G challenge and the cross roads classic..... 

this is seriously what we come up with? It sucks. That collection of 7 of 8 games (sans South Carolina) is atrocious. 

ACC/B1G challenge going away was an ESPN thing, right? Stupid decision by them. 

Crossroads going away was probably our fault, and another dumb decision. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I heard this a lot, and man I don't agree. The last two years we replaced the Crossroads Classic with Kansas. The coming four years will be Kentucky. Even if the logistics mean you skip a year, that's still a better use of your weekend than playing Butler or Notre Dame, and letting Purdue take home a cut of your gate.

Much as I'd love a marquee home game in the non-con, you probably don't get that scheduled without promising a game at their place next season. When we're already committed to playing a true road game in Rupp. Given the state of the program, and our scheduling reach already exceeding our grasp, can't fault the staff for deciding the CBA didn't add up on that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Eastern ILL-- 320 

UNC Greensboro-- 147

Sam Houston-- 142

Miami OH-- 257

Chattanooga-- 140

Winthrop-- 176

South Carolina-- 54

has to be the most boring collection of out of conference home games we've ever had 

(the numbers behind the name is where they finished in KenPom last season)... plus 3 tough games in Atlantis 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean, we get rid of Gavitt Games and ACC/B1G challenge and the cross roads classic..... 

this is seriously what we come up with? It sucks. That collection of 7 of 8 games (sans South Carolina) is atrocious. 

A lot of teams are doing this so it helps your metrics by beating these teams bad. Iowa St use this formula and helped them get a 2 seed last year.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Do you not remember the old Hoosier Classic and the Indiana Classic?

Most of those were anything but "classic".

Edited by Tom White
  • Like 2

Eastern ILL-- 320 

UNC Greensboro-- 147

Sam Houston-- 142

Miami OH-- 257

Chattanooga-- 140

Winthrop-- 176

South Carolina-- 54

Only one team (SC) was in the NCAAT or NIT. No games outside of AH except the B4A. Not one true road game. 

• Like 1

Eastern ILL-- 320 

UNC Greensboro-- 147

Sam Houston-- 142

Miami OH-- 257

Chattanooga-- 140

Winthrop-- 176

South Carolina-- 54

This is UK's home games at Rupp.

Wright State 

Bucknell

Limscomb

Jackson St

W. Kentucky 

George State 

Colgate 

UL 

Brown

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I heard this a lot, and man I don't agree. The last two years we replaced the Crossroads Classic with Kansas. The coming four years will be Kentucky. Even if the logistics mean you skip a year, that's still a better use of your weekend than playing Butler or Notre Dame, and letting Purdue take home a cut of your gate.

Much as I'd love a marquee home game in the non-con, you probably don't get that scheduled without promising a game at their place next season. When we're already committed to playing a true road game in Rupp. Given the state of the program, and our scheduling reach already exceeding our grasp, can't fault the staff for deciding the CBA didn't add up on that.

I don't see it can't exist along with UK/KU. Never understood that. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wright State 

Bucknell

Limscomb

Jackson St

W. Kentucky 

George State 

Colgate 

UL 

Brown

Hell.. UL at home trumps ours so easily. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wright State 

Bucknell

Limscomb

Jackson St

W. Kentucky 

George State 

Colgate 

UL 

Brown

UK plays Duke in Atlanta, Gonzaga in Seattle, Ohio State in Madison Sq Garden and a true road game at Clemson. KY has to travel four times prior to their conference season. Even if IU gets matched up against Gonzaga and AZ in the B4A, their schedule won't be remotely as difficult. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Only one team (SC) was in the NCAAT or NIT. No games outside of AH except the B4A. Not one true road game. 

The bold isn't important to me. We have 10 true road games in conference. It was cool winning at Xavier a couple of years ago, though. 

But that list of home games is shit. 

Just now, btownqb said:

The bold isn't important to me. We have 10 true road games in conference. It was cool winning at Xavier a couple of years ago, though. 

But that list of home games is shit. 

I just think it's bad scheduling to not play a road game prior to conference. Could even be a MAC, MVC or Horizon team. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

A lot of teams are doing this so it helps your metrics by beating these teams bad. Iowa St use this formula and helped them get a 2 seed last year.

The key is to beat them into the ground, not squeak by like we did far too often in this type of game last year. That was the beginning of our troubles. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

UK plays Duke in Atlanta, Gonzaga in Seattle, Ohio State in Madison Sq Garden and a true road game at Clemson. KY has to travel four times prior to their conference season. Even if IU gets matched up against Gonzaga and AZ in the B4A, their schedule won't be remotely as difficult. 

The true road game is part of the SEC/ACC challenge so they didn't schedule that.

SC = UL 

Duke/Gonzaga= to Arizona/Gonzaga

If we play a Providence or Oklahoma= to OSU