Next Season Expectations

48 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

And it’s funny to me that people really believe that he didn’t.  😂

I mean someone has literally gone through an entire game of his and pointed out how many fouls could’ve been called against him and on him.  It’s overwhelmingly been proven that way more uncalled fouls could’ve gone against his defenders than could’ve been pinned on him.  Not some grand conspiracy lol. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean someone has literally gone through an entire game of his and pointed out how many fouls could’ve been called against him and on him.  It’s overwhelmingly been proven that way more uncalled fouls could’ve gone against his defenders than could’ve been pinned on him.  Not some grand conspiracy lol. 

That’s someone’s opinion…as is your statement about Edey.  I simply don’t agree.  It’s not a grand conspiracy.  We’re giving opinions.  I have mine and you have yours.  No problem Boiler.   😊

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Inequality said:

Any improvement from this squad will come from guards. Certainly not the addition of Ballo. Ware was a much more dangerous big.

Im perfectly fine playing smaller and faster using the transfer guards along side Malik as the big.

I agree with that...

But I also believe that a 2 time All Pac 12 first team selection and all defensive team selection from last year certainly isn't going to hurt us...Overall, Kel'el has more skills and potential, but Ballo is a better offensive rebounder (we were 248th in the country and 8th in the conference in ORB) and brings a toughness and edge that we've been lacking...

Which was on full display when Arizona waxed our fannies a couple of years ago...It set the tone...

But I still don't forgive Oumar for the goal tending that wasn't called :) 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

On paper... 

Rice, Carlyle, TG, sophomore MM, sophomore Cupps, FR Tucker, Leal... Goode. Whatever we get out of Newton..  

Seems to be a lot better 1-3 than... 

6th year injured idiot XJ, TG, Gunn, Banks, FR MM, FR Cupps, Leal, and an injured, unplayable Newton. 

• Like 8

Bart Torvik reconfigured his projection system to utilize Box Plus/Minus. The result is that Indiana drops to 31st in the country. 6th in the Big Ten, behind Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Michigan St and UCLA. Ohio St and Michigan just a couple spots behind us. 

Goes to show how changeable algorithms can be. Even if the output is subjective, a lot of subjective decisions get made before that output is produced. But as far as I can tell coaching isn't an input, so this ranking of the team is independent of whatever you or I or Bart thinks of Woodson.

19 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Could this be the year we finally become relevant again, and compete for a B10 championship and national title or am I delirious?

Delirious for sure.  On paper we have the talent for a B1G title push.  I am not sure we're a national title push, at least on paper.  I honestly believe if we're top 3 B1G and a S16 tourney team, i would be pretty happy with those results and say they were within expectations.  

If we're mid pack B1G and 1st weekend exit, with this talent, we should start asking very hard questions around the program.

Just my 2c

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Delirious for sure.  On paper we have the talent for a B1G title push.  I am not sure we're a national title push, at least on paper.  I honestly believe is we're top 3 B1G and a S16 tourney team, i would be pretty happy with those results and say they were within expectations.  

If we're mid pack B1G and 1st weekend exit, with this talent, we should start asking very hard questions around the program.

Just my 2c

completely agree except for the bold. The questions have been asked. The answer(s) need to be there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

What a joke…Lundardi has us as a 4 seed, which is probably about right until we prove we deserve a higher seed as the season progresses.

This had us at 31. Don’t really think that’s too crazy. I think we should be better, but we’re relying on a ton of new pieces which doesn’t always work.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

This had us at 31. Don’t really think that’s too crazy. I think we should be better, but we’re relying on a ton of new pieces which doesn’t always work.

I get there's a lot of new pieces, but this team has more talent than any IU team in recent memory. If this isn't a top 25 team it will be an absolute failure of a season. If you slap "Duke" on this roster I would say it's a consensus top 5 team in the country by the national media.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, KDB said:

I get there's a lot of new pieces, but this team has more talent than any IU team in recent memory. If this isn't a top 25 team it will be an absolute failure of a season. If you slap "Duke" on this roster I would say it's a consensus top 5 team in the country by the national media.

Those rankings aren’t media, it’s a computer ranking. And the rankings have us as the 18th best offense, but only 52nd best defense. Not sure how Carlyle, Rice, and Ballo are defensively, but I do know Mbagko and Reneau were not very good last year on defense last year. So I can see where that defensive ranking is coming from.

I do agree not being top 25 would be a failure. But I don’t think projecting us at 31 is that unreasonable, and disagree that this is a top 5 roster.

• Like 5