March Madness 2024

1 hour ago, MrsStoller said:

Hahaha, yes.  He then doesn't have to hear me talk IU basketball incessantly!  Does he know he may need to make sacrifices? Maybe not?  hahaha

You remind me of my Sister in law... She's everything I ever wanted in a wife. Pure gold !!! Gets my total respect !!! (not that that means anything of course)!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I put Boiler's definition to the test. 

7:24: Edey enters the lane with both feet, but almost immediately puts one foot back out. 

7:23: Edey lifts the foot in the lane ever so slightly.  I'm not sure a ref could have caught it, but we'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  3 second clock reset.

7:22: Edey re-enters the lane with both feet.

7:20: Ball is passed to Edey. 3 second clock resets.

7:18: Edey passes the ball back out.

7:17: Edey puts one foot outside the lane and lifts foot in lane.  3 second clock reset.

7:16: Edey exits the lane (ever so slightly...had a part of one foot parallel and on the line, but again, I'll give benefit of the doubt). Also, shot attempt. 3 Second clock reset.

7:15 Edey re-enters the lane, both feet.

7:12 Edey puts one foot halfway outside the lane and lifts the foot in the lane. We're really skirting the line here. Potential 3 second violation.

7:10: Video ends.

It's really borderline if you break it down second by second.  It seems like he's very aware of what the rule is and is making an attempt to push it to its limit, but is also getting several benefit of the doubt calls like at 7:12. 

55 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Lol he absolutely left the lane during that 14 seconds, the count resets on a shot attempt, it resets when he has the ball, etc… should I continue? 

Actually it doesn't reset when the player has the ball. It only resets if he makes an attempt to score. If he sets up in the lane and receives a pass, holds the ball and doesn't make a move to the basket, it's a violation. 

An allowance is made to continue a count but suspend a violation ruling when, before 3 seconds, an offensive player starts to attempt to score (including dribbling to the basket). If the move is directly completed, no violation can occur. However, if the move is aborted (e.g. by a pass or fake), no exception applies.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Actually it doesn't reset when the player has the ball. It only resets if he makes an attempt to score. If he sets up in the lane and receives a pass, holds the ball and doesn't make a move to the basket, it's a violation. 

An allowance is made to continue a count but suspend a violation ruling when, before 3 seconds, an offensive player starts to attempt to score (including dribbling to the basket). If the move is directly completed, no violation can occur. However, if the move is aborted (e.g. by a pass or fake), no exception applies.

Once again.....borderline.  Edey did make a move towards the basket before passing back out in the above example. 

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Once again.....borderline.  Edey did make a move towards the basket before passing back out in the above example. 

Right, but it doesn't reset by making a move to the basket. For example, if a player is in the lane 2 seconds, catches a pass, dribbles toward the basket for 3 seconds (5 total) and puts up a shot, no violation. If he does the exact same, but instead of shooting, he passes to a cutter, it's a violation. 

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Right, but it doesn't reset by making a move to the basket. For example, if a player is in the lane 2 seconds, catches a pass, dribbles toward the basket for 3 seconds (5 total) and puts up a shot, no violation. If he does the exact same, but instead of shooting, he passes to a cutter, it's a violation. 

How many times have you ever seen the latter called?

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

How many times have you ever seen the latter called?

Never. Officials don't want to call three seconds. I read an article from last year where Chris Holtmann said after a game against Purdue that the rule should just be eliminated because the officials won't call it. He said Purdue knows at the most, it would be called once a game, so they just keep running what they do. 

“Listen, I was on the officials the entire game. I really do think that needs to be evaluated whether or not you keep that rule in the rulebook. Because if it’s not gonna be enforced, why is it in fact in the rulebook?” Holtmann said. “And clearly, it’s not a rule that is enforced. He does a good job at times of dancing in and out, but more times than not, it’s clear. And listen, give them credit. They know it’s not going to get called. And if at the very most, it’s gonna get called once a game, at the very most. And most times it won’t.”

Well, what they’re saying is, ‘Hey, they’re not gonna call it more than once at the most, so why wouldn’t we just park him there?’ It’s smart on their part. And what we’ve got to do is be able to adjust better, and that’s what we’re trying to do.”

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

7:24: Edey enters the lane with both feet, but almost immediately puts one foot back out. 

7:23: Edey lifts the foot in the lane ever so slightly.  I'm not sure a ref could have caught it, but we'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  3 second clock reset.

7:17: Edey puts one foot outside the lane and lifts foot in lane.  3 second clock reset.

7:16: Edey exits the lane (ever so slightly...had a part of one foot parallel and on the line, but again, I'll give benefit of the doubt). Also, shot attempt. 3 Second clock reset.

7:12 Edey puts one foot halfway outside the lane and lifts the foot in the lane. We're really skirting the line here. Potential 3 second violation.

It's really borderline if you break it down second by second.  It seems like he's very aware of what the rule is and is making an attempt to push it to its limit, but is also getting several benefit of the doubt calls like at 7:12. 

So you're saying Edey is the James Harden of 3 second violations.

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Basically nothing egregious which is what a lot of folks seem to think. If it were the NBA? Yeah they’d have a legit gripe. 

Is it wrong to experiment with a 16 foot wide lane during the final 4 in the NIT?

I think it's ridiculous as F!!!  The whole season they played in a 12 foot lane now extended in an season ending NIT. Why not do it early in the season next year?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Great analysis, but what is missing is that refs don't count as fast as seconds on the clock. They count as fast as "1 (2 seconds go by), now "2" (2-3 more seconds go by, "3" (which is now a total of 7-8 seconds in real time).

So you have to take a nap in the lane to get called for 3 seconds anymore

23 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

You remind me of my Sister in law... She's everything I ever wanted in a wife. Pure gold !!! Gets my total respect !!! (not that that means anything of course)!

Thank you! You’re too kind. She sounds terrific & always a blessing to have amazing in-laws! 🙂