2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Interesting development because he’d obviously come off the bench if (hopefully) Ballo commits 

I'm not sure. He might be leaning IU if Ballo doesn't or he might be fine with the bench role. I'm not real sure but they seem to have made a good impression. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm surprised at how many people have Carlyle penciled into the starting line up. This is not to say that i don't think he's a good player or I don't want him. I do. He has 3 years of eligibility. 

BUT knowing who is coaching this team, unless Carlyle lights the world on fire (on both end of the court), I just don't think there is any way he's starting over Gallo.

Guys, this is Woody. The man who values defense and veterans on the floor. The only exception to this rule was Mgbako and that's because the guys behind him on the depth chart were equally as bad at defense. 

I also think Gallo is very underestimated by some. He was asked to do WAY too much last year. Sandwich him in between Rice and a sophomore Mgbako and he's going to thrive. 

Our 1-3 is not going to be a below average defender in Mgbako and 2 brand new guards who have zero games of experience in this defensive system. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but I won't be wrong on this one. 😄

If I'm not mistaken, the rumor was when Galloway pledged his support to Woody, he also said he'd be open to a bench role...At least that's the rumor I remember...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

If I'm not mistaken, the rumor was when Galloway pledged his support to Woody, he also said he'd be open to a bench role...At least that's the rumor I remember...

No no. Only the negative rumors/myths are allowed to stick! Dontcha know!?! 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I'm not sure. He might be leaning IU if Ballo doesn't or he might be fine with the bench role. I'm not real sure but they seem to have made a good impression. 

Will be interesting to follow, I’ll be pretty disappointed at this point if Ballo doesn’t pick us tbh. 

if Payne would be ok with a backup role it would have our center covered for next year at least 

24 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm surprised at how many people have Carlyle penciled into the starting line up. This is not to say that i don't think he's a good player or I don't want him. I do. He has 3 years of eligibility. 

BUT knowing who is coaching this team, unless Carlyle lights the world on fire (on both end of the court), I just don't think there is any way he's starting over Gallo.

Guys, this is Woody. The man who values defense and veterans on the floor. The only exception to this rule was Mgbako and that's because the guys behind him on the depth chart were equally as bad at defense. 

I also think Gallo is very underestimated by some. He was asked to do WAY too much last year. Sandwich him in between Rice and a sophomore Mgbako and he's going to thrive. 

Our 1-3 is not going to be a below average defender in Mgbako and 2 brand new guards who have zero games of experience in this defensive system. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but I won't be wrong on this one. 😄

Agreed. Not sure what his defense looks like, so that could change things, but his offensive numbers were poor last year from an efficiency standpoint. Seems like he was asked to carry a heavy load when he played, so maybe that played a part in it. But I don’t see him as a lock to start.

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not saying Gallo wouldn't be open to a bench role. Not saying Carlyle doesn't have the potential to be a star. 

We just have history on how Woody coaches and how he uses his personnel. Every time we expect him to deviate from this, he doesn't.

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Will be interesting to follow, I’ll be pretty disappointed at this point if Ballo doesn’t pick us tbh. 

if Payne would be ok with a backup role it would have our center covered for next year at least 

Reneau's foul troubles are a very real thing. And opens the door up for someone else.

Personally a guy like Amari Williams would be awesome to switch up the pace and have the potential to play a faster pace.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Myles Rice now following Payne via Instagram.  Only Cupps were following him prior to yesterday

I wouldn’t read toooo much into that. Last year a lot of guys we were talking to started following each other.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Not saying Gallo wouldn't be open to a bench role. Not saying Carlyle doesn't have the potential to be a star. 

We just have history on how Woody coaches and how he uses his personnel. Every time we expect him to deviate from this, he doesn't.

I hear what you're saying, and for the most part I'd agree...Woody's been loyal (at times to our detriment) to a fault, and starters, short of being injured, keep their spots...

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I wouldn’t read toooo much into that. Last year a lot of guys we were talking to started following each other.

fair - although lots of current staff or players started following Rice and Carlyle before the crystal balls came rolling in for both of them.  

38 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

What examples do we have of the bold? I'm trying to think of a time he didn't start someone who clearly should be starting/not giving someone mins he should be? 

I do remember CMW's first year there was some CLAMORING to start TG or JG at the 3 over Kopp. I found that pretty remarkable.  

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

My hope for next year...

Fantasy Football GIF - Fantasy Football GIFs

I Will Do The Opposite Seinfeld GIF - I Will Do The Opposite Seinfeld George Costanza GIFs

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Sorry, been gone for a few days.

Ballo is done 👍

Hickman 👍

And I'm still hearing Conwell. 

Conwell over Carlyle or in addition to? (In addition to seems unrealistic to me)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What examples do we have of the bold? 

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. 

Uhhhh, from what the fans expect:

"we need to shoot more 3's"
"MM needs to play the 4"
"Malik needs to play the 5"
"We need to play 4 in 1 out"
"XJ should start" "XJ should not start" XJ needs to be kicked off the team" lol
"Malik and Sparks should not be on the floor at the same time" 
"Malik and Ware should not spend a majority of the time on the floor together"
"Race isn't a starter"
"Kopps isn't a starter"

....I could go on. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Andrew said:

Conwell over Carlyle or in addition to? (In addition to seems unrealistic to me)

Agree. But Indiana needs to keep pumping "Hickman is coming" ---- first to pop-- Conwell/Hickman gets the spot. 

• Like 2