Michigan State Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

Depends. Win by 12+ in each and you moved more. You know this. You don't like it but it's how it works. 

Trust me I get it and that's why I'm a horse's a-- on it....Sparty and Wiscy in top 30. Just rubs me the wrong way. 

• Like 3

Wow Woodson saying he’s done his job is absolutely insane to me. Zero recruits in ‘24. Not keeping a top 15 player because you stopped recruiting him. Not adjusting to zone because your personel couldn’t figure out your crappy defense. Not answering questions from the media when it’s in your contract that requires you to speak with the media. Being lazy and skipping events and recruiting you shouldn’t be doing. Gosh I wish someone in media would call him out on that. The problem is he would be an egotistical jerk in his response if someone did call him out because he’s so self centered and will never admit he’s wrong or he has screwed the future of our program not helped it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just looked at the boxscores for the FGCU, Morehead St and Wright State games. In each of those games we had 4 starters play 30+. 

The idea that those games were closer because Woodson took his foot off the gas and didn't want to run up the scores is just not reality. 

They were close because we weren't good. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Yeah, alienating the fan base is a genius move to help them rally behind the team lol. Nice job coach 

Didn't sound like the fans at the game was upset with those comments. I never seen a fan base that is more upset after a 4 game winning streak. I was a horrible fan this year and I think we deserve the shots they gave us today. If we are big enough to dish it out then we should be big enough to take the shots as well. None in f us are there every day putting in the work that these players out in and they deserve fans that will back them through the bad as well the good.

I have really enjoyed the last 3 games because I was actually wanting wins over hoping for a coaching change. I will be back in November hoping for a great season and watch every game. If we can't do that then we should just not watch and find other things to do with our time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Great post! Yes, while our records are similar to MSU within the Quad 1/2 ranges, who each of us beat and lost too isn't the same. 

Appreciate the kind words, but there might be a misunderstanding. I'm saying the resumes of the two schools are closer than bracketologists are projecting. Efficiency metrics are disparate because of scoring margins, and that drives KenPom, Torvik and NET rankings. But NCAA resumes are outcome based, and after today the actual wins, losses and quality of opponents aren't far off between us and MSU.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

I have a problem if he’s referring to fans asking questions and wanting better leadership for the players. He could have answered professionally when asked at various opportunities but chose not to do so. He’s had plenty of opportunities to explain various aspects of his coaching, and he continually chooses not to. He doesn’t like being questioned. I have found him to be defensive with his answers, and thanking “true fans” is bit of a slap in the face to those who care and ask questions. 

Questioning the coach does not make one not a “true fan”, I would argue the opposite. It’s very ok for a fan to ask questions and not be pleased with leadership.

Two things can be true at the same time: one can be a fan of a team AND question aspects of coaching. These are not mutually exclusive. 

I think he were referring to the people who started the petition to get him fired. Probably the fans like me who wrote critical emails to Dolson. The fans who were rooting for IU to lose in order to get a coaching change

1 minute ago, Maedhros said:

Appreciate the kind words, but there might be a misunderstanding. I'm saying the resumes of the two schools are closer than bracketologists are projecting. Efficiency metrics are disparate because of scoring margins, and that drives KenPom, Torvik and NET rankings. But NCAA resumes are outcome based, and after today the actual wins, losses and quality of opponents aren't far off between us and MSU.

Right, but the difference is the wins and losses within those different quads. Not every Quad 1 or Quad 2 win in the same, and beyond the efficiency metrics, those wins and losses with the Quad ranges are also a separator. 

Just now, Maedhros said:

One big thing that kills us. We have way too many big losses.  We had 6 over 12 points and 4 off those were closer to 20. Those will absolutely kill you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

But we weren't blowing those teams out with our starters in. It doesn't make any sense. 

We HAD to keep our starters in just to win those games. It wasn't like Woodson kept those game close on purpose and we easily could have blow Army out. 

We just weren't good. The metrics don't like IU because IU wasn't good. 

But we weren’t good because Woodson wasn’t willing to adjust his defense early on when they were still learning it. He should’ve abandoned it until they had a better grasp on it. That’s something else he doesn’t understand is every point matters in getting in the Tournament. The problem is he just assumed they’d win every home game, steal a couple road games, and be comfortably In.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Can’t say he doesn’t defend his players 

Personally i like it and I think that as a player you have like it. 
Johnson went thru a lot of injuries this year and never has got into a grove. Have to think if he was healthy he would playing better. He was always going to be a little up and down. Not going to say I will miss it the team will next year either. Unfortunately will never know what a healthy Johnson could have done this year

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I just don't care anymore. Its not just the coach. I don't really like this team, coach, administration or BOT. It's an overall lack of care for IU basketball

I have strategic concerns - they've regularly not been placed in the best position to succeed - but I've enjoyed this team. This group of guys has continued to play hard all year, and hasn't stopped caring. When they're on they're a fun watch, and it's been happening more and more often.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Unbelievable.  I will apologize in advance if in fact Xavier Johnson has had some major personal/mental problem.  Otherwise, there is no way I understand why this coach goes out of his way to praise this kid.  His demeanor and playing style is uninspiring,  and his reputation as a cheap shot artist is deserved.  as far as his personal life, i have no idea other than putting lives in danger by driving 90 mph in town.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 94hoosier said:

If the fans can rip him and say he should take it then he should be able to give us some shit too

I have no problem with it and actually like it. Sticking up for himself and the staff and his players 

The difference here, is he gets paid handsomely to put that 💩 on the floor, and expects the “true fans” to pay hard earned money to watch it.  If you can’t take the heat, get outta the F&@%ing kitchen.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, John S said:

Unbelievable.  I will apologize in advance if in fact Xavier Johnson has had some major personal/mental problem.  Otherwise, there is no way I understand why this coach goes out of his way to praise this kid.  His demeanor and playing style is uninspiring,  and his reputation as a cheap shot artist is deserved.  as far as his personal life, i have no idea other than putting lives in danger by driving 90 mph in town.

the only mental problems XJ has is he likes to nut tap guys.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You're tiring Scott. Pick one side and stay there please.  You can't talk sh1t for a month about the coach and then jump back and tell us to be better fans blah blah blah. It's exhausting. 

Why, if we happened to win the championship this year we can't change our mind. Try to be open minded. I know this will not happen but this thing isn't an absolute. Where did I say how others should respond because I said I need to be a better fan.  I just hated the feeling watching the last month hoping we would not play well. That isn't the kind of fan I want to be.

I still wouldn't mind a change but it isn't going to happen so I have two choices. One get behind the team and root for us to win or just not watch anymore 

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Yeah, alienating the fan base is a genius move to help them rally behind the team lol. Nice job coach 

I think the fans that would feel alienated from that would give a 💩 what he has to say. 

Personally I like the fight. If he is coming back the put up a fight and hopefully the team will follow. 

56 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

I have a problem if he’s referring to fans asking questions and wanting better leadership for the players. He could have answered professionally when asked at various opportunities but chose not to do so. He’s had plenty of opportunities to explain various aspects of his coaching, and he continually chooses not to. He doesn’t like being questioned. I have found him to be defensive with his answers, and thanking “true fans” is bit of a slap in the face to those who care and ask questions. 

Questioning the coach does not make one not a “true fan”, I would argue the opposite. It’s very ok for a fan to ask questions and not be pleased with leadership.

Two things can be true at the same time: one can be a fan of a team AND question aspects of coaching. These are not mutually exclusive. 

I don’t disagree with what you said 

Just think it’s OK for him to fight for himself and his team. 

19 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I just don't care anymore. Its not just the coach. I don't really like this team, coach, administration or BOT. It's an overall lack of care for IU basketball

Nobody is making you watch or pay attention to the program. Why do something that makes you so miserable and a thing you don't enjoy.

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All the respect in the world. I just disagree but you already know that. Coach Woodson will learn...he was trying to develop players in November and December against lesser teams. Unfortunately he has to keep his starters in (and worry about the folks that complain about dead legs come March) and run up the score.

He could've mixed in 1 or 2 subs at a time with starters, but instead he chose to sub all 5 starters out at a time or 4 at a time.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think he were referring to the people who started the petition to get him fired. Probably the fans like me who wrote critical emails to Dolson. The fans who were rooting for IU to lose in order to get a coaching change

And I would include all of that into “asking questions”, or just broaden my description to include the above. It doesn’t matter - all of the people who participated in any of the above are also true fans. I wrote an email, too, and I sure as hell consider myself a true fan. If I weren’t, and you weren’t, we wouldn’t have taken the time to write a letter. We care. It’s ok to question. Don’t let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

• Like 2