2024 Transfer Portal

3 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

You just bought a team from other schools?  Honestly who has CMW recruited and developed that wasn’t a 5 star shoe/academy guy 

Catchings wanted MM treatment 

Not sure why he thought Purdue was a good choice 

Hey dipshit only we can talk crap about our coach here. Time for you to figure out where and the hell your at.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6pm tee time so time to take off but man. I always thought since the beginning of time that Illinois and Purdue were sister schools.....but some of the responses from the brethren on this move is Henson/Weber esque...

Not that it needs to be said which Boiler fan is trying to be reasonable and which one isn't. Coming off of the best ever run Purdue has ever had and have a top 40 kid say nada after 30 days  or even 1 isn't good. No way to spin. Don't spin Painter had a better plan, don't spin NIL, don't spin playing time, don't spin it's the Purdue way,etc.......

As I've always said. Painter seems like a good dude. He tried a couple little sneaky things but nothing major. 

Take care gang. Catch up after another lackluster early June with a solid 86 that should be a 79 if I could ever learn how to putt again. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Was already taken care of.  A scholarship player was going to go off scholarship and have NIL pay for them this year. 

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm surprised we don't hear this happen more often in the NIL age.  It's talked about a lot, but I haven't heard examples of it actually happening.  That effectively nullifies any attempt by the NCAA to limit player numbers on teams.

Yeah was thinking the same, lots of fans speculating about this happening, but haven't seen it. Mainly because IMO the problem is it's going to be pretty tough to keep 10 or 11 guys on a team happy so getting to 13 or needing that "14th" spot just doesn't seem realistic. 

Also reminds me of a long running gag on Illinois boards when we were recruiting Luther Head's younger brother and the scholarship #s were getting tight. "No problem, Luther will pay his scholarship $$ after he signed with the Rockets!" 🤣

hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Was already taken care of.  A scholarship player was going to go off scholarship and have NIL pay for them this year. 

2 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

IU is the basketball standard for the state and the conference….you guys can get anyone you want….purdue can’t 

This is why Purdue has to get unrated recruits instead of 5 stars 

I'm surprised we don't hear this happen more often in the NIL age.  It's talked about a lot, but I haven't heard examples of it actually happening.  That effectively nullifies any attempt by the NCAA to limit player numbers on teams

Hasn’t the accepted narrative been that PU needs to be better at NIL, that’s why they don’t get the 5stars?! And they were going to find NIL money for a 14th scholarship?! Color me confused 🤔 

4 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

But at least I get to root for guys committed to my Alma Mater…..not saying it should matter to you 

just angry with college presidents for destroying conferences for 🏈 

PS  will they hand the trophy to Herb Simon 😂 

Possibly, but we’ll still have 6 and you’ll have 0. Like it or not, the game has changed, and NIL is the driving force when it comes to the transfer portal and building rosters. I’m not saying that guarantees success, but I like our chances. There’s always been “haves and have nots” and I think you know where you stand in the current state of college basketball. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Possibly, but we’ll still have 6 and you’ll have 0. Like it or not, the game has changed, and NIL is the driving force when it comes to the transfer portal and building rosters. I’m not saying that guarantees success, but I like our chances. There’s always been “haves and have nots” and I think you know where you stand in the current state of college basketball. 

I’d say we’re pretty damn relevant in the current state of college basketball even with the new NIL landscape. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

6pm tee time so time to take off but man. I always thought since the beginning of time that Illinois and Purdue were sister schools.....but some of the responses from the brethren on this move is Henson/Weber esque...

Not that it needs to be said which Boiler fan is trying to be reasonable and which one isn't. Coming off of the best ever run Purdue has ever had and have a top 40 kid say nada after 30 days  or even 1 isn't good. No way to spin. Don't spin Painter had a better plan, don't spin NIL, don't spin playing time, don't spin it's the Purdue way,etc.......

As I've always said. Painter seems like a good dude. He tried a couple little sneaky things but nothing major. 

Take care gang. Catch up after another lackluster early June with a solid 86 that should be a 79 if I could ever learn how to putt again. 

On paper, it isn’t good but we both know it’s not that simple.  Plenty of things are true here:

-Catchings is an extremely talented player who likely won’t be in college long before going to the NBA

-There were/are maturity issues that have existed throughout his recruitment that didn’t magically go away once he went to OTE.  There was enough there that multiple prep schools didn’t recruit him after he left Brownsburg and NBA folks are aware of it too. 

-He wasn’t guaranteed to start at Purdue and likely would’ve had to have played his way into the starting lineup.  Painter has only made one promise regarding a recruit starting during a recruitment and this wasn’t the one time. 

-He likely can/will get a bigger NIL deal to go elsewhere but it’s not the reason he asked out of his NLI. 

-I wish the kid the best and hope he gets everything figured out and realizes his immense potential. 

4 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

When's the last time you thought about San Diego St?

Comparing Purdue to San Diego State is interesting.  We’ve been consistently relevant even before the run last season.   Not like this was a random good season for Purdue. 

41 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Comparing Purdue to San Diego State is interesting.  We’ve been consistently relevant even before the run last season.   Not like this was a random good season for Purdue. 

It's a pretty valid comparison... difference being San Diego St hasn't lost to a 15, much less a 16, seed lately...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's a pretty valid comparison... difference being San Diego St hasn't lost to a 15, much less a 16, seed lately...

I mean it’s not.  They’re not close to as relevant nationally as we are and never have been. 

29 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Oh not an insider at all.  Just saying what I’m hearing from the Purdue site. 

Im sure it’s not spun at all to not make Purdue and Painter look like fools. They already look like schleps. 

All of this conversation about transfer portal and NIL and such and such made me think of a poster that hung on the wall of the corner pizza place at college. “Just when I had all the answers, they changed all the questions!” Woodson seems to be learning. Painter to his credit, seems to be falling behind by sticking with the old tried and true methods.