2025 PG Mikel Brown Jr

It's not really a Woodson issue, UK issue... whatever... 

NCAA/NBA allow players to leave for the draft after 1 year--- unless that rule changes, you have to adapt certain ways, have a gameplan, etc etc. You can't just live in lala land "oh well, I hope my guys don't get drafted after one year" or not be prepared for it, like we weren't when JHS went after year 1. 

I still prefer the baseball rule. Either pro out of HS, or you go to college for 3 years (2 depending on your birthday)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

And you all can state preferences all you want, the bottom line is... it needs to work. If we want players here longer, we need to identify them better coming out of HS... why wasn't Carlyle just on our roster from the start? Same with Rice. 

Rice is a 21 graduate. He had already signed his letter of intent with Washington State nearly 4 months prior to Woodson being hired at Indiana. He wasn't available. The staff got an early commitment out of Jakai Newton who at the time was a similar rated prospect as Carlyle coming out of the ATL area. Unfortunately, injuries have delayed the start to Newton's career here. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

if Rice, Carlyle, and MM are all gone to the draft, I would venture to guess that IU had a damn good year. 

If any 2 of the three come back I would think that would hurt the reputation of Woodys ability to get players to the league, thus hurt the chances of the caliber of players we are going after.

My problem is say we have a really good year and make it to the elite 8. If all of our top players leave then it starting from scratch again. My thinking if you don't win a championship what good is it to keep getting kids for 1 year.

45 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Rice is a 21 graduate. He had already signed his letter of intent with Washington State nearly 4 months prior to Woodson being hired at Indiana. He wasn't available. The staff got an early commitment out of Jakai Newton who at the time was a similar rated prospect as Carlyle coming out of the ATL area. Unfortunately, injuries have delayed the start to Newton's career here. 

I understand all that. 

You can't guarantee anyone stays very long regardless.

If they aren't good enough, then they might transfer down (or be Creaned)

If they are decent, then they might transfer laterally for some NIL cash.

If they are good, then they might get drafted.

Regardless, you're going to be dealing with more turnover each year than anytime in the past.  Nature of the beast.  At this point, there's almost no point in tackling projects because they won't be here long enough to help.

You go after 4 or 5 stars and portal transfers.  Only way I would go for a HS project would be if they were IU superfans with promise that I wouldn't have to worry about leaving. 

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

You can't guarantee anyone stays very long regardless.

If they aren't good enough, then they might transfer down (or be Painted over)

If they are decent, then they might transfer laterally for some NIL cash.

If they are good, then they might get drafted.

Regardless, you're going to be dealing with more turnover each year than anytime in the past.  Nature of the beast.  At this point, there's almost no point in tackling projects because they won't be here long enough to help.

You go after 4 or 5 stars and portal transfers.  Only way I would go for a HS project would be if they were IU superfans with promise that I wouldn't have to worry about leaving. 

fixed it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1