Auburn Post Game

Inequality

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's what I saw...When their other big, Cardwell came in, he was stoked and playing Ware very physically...Took Kel'el out of his game...

So I'm curious on this - you said guys in the Big Ten wouldn't let Edey do that and they'd stand up to him. I assume you didn't mean our guys? 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So I'm curious on this - you said guys in the Big Ten wouldn't let Edey do that and they'd stand up to him. I assume you didn't mean our guys? 

Doesn't necessarily have to be a post player standing up to Edey...I can see XJ and a few others on our team calling him on it...Much like Trayce, who wasn't directly involved with the play, bumping Gillis when he hammered Reneau last year...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Doesn't necessarily have to be a post player standing up to Edey...I can see XJ and a few others on our team calling him on it...Much like Trayce, who wasn't directly involved with the play, bumping Gillis when he hammered Reneau last year...

Okay - well where was that from anyone on our team on Saturday? Our entire team and bench seemed pretty emotionless to what happened, which sucks for the fans in particular that invested a lot of time and money to go see them play. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Okay - well where was that from anyone on our team on Saturday? Our entire team and bench seemed pretty emotionless to what happened, which sucks for the fans in particular that invested a lot of time and money to go see them play. 

Oh Lord...

What was XJ to do? Go out and put his walking boot in Cardwell's ass? Trey was on the bench...So our senior leadership wasn't on the floor...

I honestly thought maybe Woody should put Sparks back in and tell him "no holds barred." 

That aside, I understand this as your thinly veiled defense of your boy @Stlboiler23...I'd prefer you go play somewhere else...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When the bench came in, Auburn exploited their shortcomings and it allowed Auburn to gain confidence and gather momentum. When the starters came back in, they wasn’t able to get the flow back that they had established early in the game.

Auburn probably was going to win the game anyway. I felt that going in. In real time, a clear reason for the early romp, when Auburn gained control, was when we pulled the rug out from our own feet.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I'll say this, with no judgment or comment on Woodson intended: in the future Indiana fans will look back in confoundment that we had Thad Matta on staff and let him get away. Like watching what Sampson is doing in Houston, but without the NCAA violations during his time here.

I said this long ago.

15 minutes ago, Inequality said:

When the bench came in, Auburn exploited their shortcomings and it allowed Auburn to gain confidence and gather momentum. When the starters came back in, they wasn’t able to get the flow back that they had established early in the game.

Auburn probably was going to win the game anyway. I felt that going in. In real time, a clear reason for the early romp, when Auburn gained control, was when we pulled the rug out from our own feet.

BUT ALSO, because of that big momentum swing, our starters came back in to a completely different game. A game that they did not adapt to because they were on the freaking bench!

I get that this happens in the NBA because the coaches seem to have this weird pact, but - and I'm honestly asking - does any other college coach do this? I know Cal tried that one year, but he even failed with a line up that was WAY more talented and deeper than ours. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Understand what you're saying, but even so, as I said, we were tied at 26 with 4 of our 5 starters back in when they started burying us...Momentum is a hard thing to quantify, but maybe you're right...

I think our youth really killed us there...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Understand what you're saying, but even so, as I said, we were tied at 26 with 4 of our 5 starters back in when they started burying us...Momentum is a hard thing to quantify, but maybe you're right...

And the best way to kill another teams momentum is with a soul crushing dunk, and one basket but the easiest way is with a three pointer. We don’t have the momentum stopping three pointers at our disposal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

We had the momentum.  Would we have kept it, i don't know.  But we had the crowd into it and were moving the ball well and just taking it to them.  Then the big sub came and we never could get control of the game again.  Even when it was close and tied with out starters back in, they had already got the ball rolling on us and cut the lead to 2.

I am completely ok with subbing.  Just do it one player at a time and only for as long as they need for a breather.  No starter in my opinion needs to sit for more than 5 minutes.  Then back on the floor again.  We have great talent in our starting 5 and some talent on the next 5.  But not enough to move the needle yet.  

One other thing i wish coach would do, is use a timeout when big momentum things happen.  A big dunk, a couple 3s in a row or a couple TO by us.  Stop the game, reset your line-up and get in their ass.  Also, get a FREAKING technical if the refs are putting their heads up their ass.  Hell get ejected if you need to.  Let the team know you have their back and won't stand for this shit any longer.  JMO :) 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We had the momentum.  Would we have kept it, i don't know.  But we had the crowd into it and were moving the ball well and just taking it to them.  Then the big sub came and we never could get control of the game again.  Even when it was close and tied with out starters back in, they had already got the ball rolling on us and cut the lead to 2.

I am completely ok with subbing.  Just do it one player at a time and only for as long as they need for a breather.  No starter in my opinion needs to sit for more than 5 minutes.  Then back on the floor again.  We have great talent in our starting 5 and some talent on the next 5.  But not enough to move the needle yet.  

One other thing i wish coach would do, is use a timeout when big momentum things happen.  A big dunk, a couple 3s in a row or a couple TO by us.  Stop the game, reset your line-up and get in their ass.  Also, get a FREAKING technical if the refs are putting their heads up their ass.  Hell get ejected if you need to.  Let the team know you have their back and won't stand for this shit any longer.  JMO :) 

image.jpeg.a88752cc14acb017d380057670227921.jpeg

42 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

To me going forward when XJ is healthy I love to see a 8 man rotation .

Guards- XJ, Galloway, Cupps

Wings MM, Banks 

Bigs Reneau, Ware, Walker

Those 3 guards can sub for each other just like the 3 bigs can

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Wings MM, Banks 

I am good with an 8 man rotation for the most part.  You're basically saying cut Sparks and Gunn out.  I think it's fine for them to get very limited minutes as 9 and 10, but whatever.  I think the bigger issue is I don't like anyone other than Mbako at the 3 and I'm not even sure I love him there.  I think any time you have more than 2 of Reneau, Ware, Sparks, Walker, Banks in, it's a horrible mix.  So maybe roll with XJ, Galloway, Mbako, Reneau, Ware, then sub Cupps for any of the 3 guards and Walker for a big as your first subs?  Then sub the guard back in for a different guard and sub Banks in for the other big?  Then you'd have to get Ware or Reneau back in pretty quickly after that though.  I don't know, but the current plan ain't workin.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Wings MM, Banks 

I always feel TG is an off the bench guy who can give you a solid 10 minutes per half and can do what he does.  he just doesn't have starter offensive skills that lead to good things.  Unless he is attacking the basket, which it feels like he only does late in games.  

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I am good with an 8 man rotation for the most part.  You're basically saying cut Sparks and Gunn out.  I think it's fine for them to get very limited minutes as 9 and 10, but whatever.  I think the bigger issue is I don't like anyone other than Mbako at the 3 and I'm not even sure I love him there.  I think any time you have more than 2 of Reneau, Ware, Sparks, Walker, Banks in, it's a horrible mix.  So maybe roll with XJ, Galloway, Mbako, Reneau, Ware, then sub Cupps for any of the 3 guards and Walker for a big as your first subs?  Then sub the guard back in for a different guard and sub Banks in for the other big?  Then you'd have to get Ware or Reneau back in pretty quickly after that though.  I don't know, but the current plan ain't workin.  

I would swap Cupps and Galloway.  Cups at the point, XJ as the 2, MBako at the 3 with Reneau and Ware at the 4/5

Then you could go to a 3 guard lineup with Cupps, XJ and Galloway at the 3, with Mbako at the 4 and Reneau/Ware at the five.  But you don't have any breather for your guards then

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

I think the question at this point should be: How did Auburn become a better basketball program than Indiana?

They are at this point in time.  But historically no.  Recently, the SEC has risen across the board in basketball and its not really be unnoticed, just gradual.  I have watched them for the last 5 years get better and better recruits throughout the whole of the SEC

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Oh Lord...

What was XJ to do? Go out and put his walking boot in Cardwell's ass? Trey was on the bench...So our senior leadership wasn't on the floor...

I honestly thought maybe Woody should put Sparks back in and tell him "no holds barred." 

That aside, I understand this as your thinly veiled defense of your boy @Stlboiler23...I'd prefer you go play somewhere else...

LOL this has nothing to do with @Stlboiler23. It was an absolutely embarrassing display from our team, starting at the top. We got punked. Again. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m starting to wonder why we played a neutral court (well aware it wasn’t quite neutral but it’s counted that way) game against a non-blue blood program that we were supposed to lose to. Play a true road game so we have some type of excuse for getting pounded. 

Welcome to the club. I've been arguing that our scheduling is not strategically sound. Was this supposed to help with recruiting the Atlanta area (so much for that) or was it done because Woody used to coach the Hawks? Otherwise playing Auburn in Atlanta gives us nothing.