Auburn Post Game

Inequality

17 hours ago, Rev_AK said:

At my age, these things shouldn’t bother me, but watching a loss when the other team talked smack after every basket and our guys just take it and play worse still bothers me.

With Woodson, I see a parallel to Crean with the substitution patterns. I see a parallel to Archie with the style of play, pounding it inside while other teams hit 3’s. Seems like for 10 years I’ve been saying “3’s  beat 2’s. Let’s at least all be intellectually honest and say it’s an antiquated style. 
 None of this means that I’m being negative ( although it could be 20 years + pf frustrations coming out during these kinds of nationally televised routs), or that I’m calling for the coach’s job-yet. 
Bottom line is- everyone, including opponents, knows that guards are the weakness of this team. I want to give the staff credit by just saying we swung for the fences on some big names and didn’t have a plan B. But, long term, at the moment, unless XJ plays a 7th year, ( or transfers to Washington to play football and be a Heisman contender) what do we have coming in to make us think it’s going to change?

Rant over. Assembly Hall has been a tough place for higher ranked teams and maybe the boys were sick this week. Get some rest and don’t let Hunter Dickenson run roughshod next week, and all will be right with the world again.

believe it or not, my opinion is that it is okay to be negative and critical and still be a fan.  may have to check the rules though.  some say you have to just always be happy, optimistic, and never question the coach to be a fan.  the game and society have changed a lot, so maybe i'm wrong?

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

My issues with Woodson are that these roster problems were obvious in the offseason and Woodson didn’t do anything about it. He left an open scholarship when he could’ve taken another guard for depth. He didn’t because he thought X would come back and be reliable which he’s not because the best ability is availability and he’s not consistently available. He also didn’t want to bring someone in that wasn’t better than Galloway. His reasoning was bad then and it looks even worse now. Now he’s got an awful roster balance and he still likes to make massive substitutions taking out 4-5 starters at a time when it clearly hasn’t worked. There just isn’t any logic behind it. 

The Caleb Love thing really chaps my ass.

It seemed like he was ours to lose and then something happened in that Zoom meeting that made it fall through. I don’t believe it was NIL, I think it was something he heard about how he’d be coached. Looking at how this season is playing out, that’s a major miss on our part. And IMO, one that renders any excuse of our roster moot because it was a choice on our part to roll with things this way. 

57 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

believe it or not, my opinion is that it is okay to be negative and critical and still be a fan.  may have to check the rules though.  some say you have to just always be happy, optimistic, and never question the coach to be a fan.  the game and society have changed a lot, so maybe i'm wrong?

Ain’t that the truth.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

My issues with Woodson are that these roster problems were obvious in the offseason and Woodson didn’t do anything about it. He left an open scholarship when he could’ve taken another guard for depth. He didn’t because he thought X would come back and be reliable which he’s not because the best ability is availability and he’s not consistently available. He also didn’t want to bring someone in that wasn’t better than Galloway. His reasoning was bad then and it looks even worse now. Now he’s got an awful roster balance and he still likes to make massive substitutions taking out 4-5 starters at a time when it clearly hasn’t worked. There just isn’t any logic behind it. 

I agree it would have been nice to get another guard but I'm wondering what type of guard we could have gotten. With Galloway, XJ, Cupps and Newton expected to contribute combined with transfer rules I guarantee if we had gotten another 4 star and or solid guard transfer one of our guards would have decommitted or transferred leaving us in the same situation. In hindsight we can all say "that would have been great given the injuries and Galloway's play." 

Another poster mentioned our coaching staff knew that Newton would not play this year but I can't imagine that being correct. If Newton was going to be out the entire they would have added another guard.

Are we bad a at developing guards? Maybe? XJ isn't proof of this due to the injury plagued season he's had, which was not expected. Galloway hasn't performed the way we would have expected but he's also performed way below our baseline expectations. With that said having XJ hurt, Galloway as a shell of himself and Newton out indefinitely is a worse case scenario that would require ostracizing incoming recruits and senior guards for this unlikely event.

Lastly, let's say we filled that last position with a 4 star or good transfer. We would be in the same position we are this year. That position being we want 5 star talent at the guard position but 5 star talent isn't going to come in due to our coaches requirement of competing with more experienced 4 star talent for a starting job. My guess is that Woody purposefully said let's ride or die with Galloway and X hoping we can get real talent at the guard position for the 24-25 season. 

My opinion (remember I'm an idiot) is that filling that 12 spot with a decent guard would have continued the cycle of average guard play for Indiana. It's not as simple as having a scholarship open and filling it. You have to fill it in a manner that doesn't compromise the remainder of the team. If we fill 2 spots next year with high 4 star, 5 star and or top 10 transfer guards we don't run the risk of losing Cupps and or Newton. 

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So far this year but normally by conference season he shortens the rotation. I heard people complaining last year how he played TJD to many minutes.

This was my thought too. TJD was hit hard every single game last season. I know he's young but getting beat down on every defensive and offensive possession has a toll. I also wonder if our performance in the 2nd round had something to do with the high loads. Let's also not forget the dumb Big Ten tournament that depletes teams as well due the Tourney teams beginning play on Thursday and Friday. 

14 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Good grief, why is it so hard for some of you guys to ignore others? If you dislike their comments/opinions so much you won’t debate them, then ignore them. 

I’m beyond disappointed and frustrated with CMW because in year 3 with the transfer portal we don’t have good enough players. Bottom line. Anybody would have a hard time persuading me otherwise. I’m not ready to kick him to the curb bc I think he has earned some latitude, but it’s certainly not trending in the right direction. 

it really totally works

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I agree it would have been nice to get another guard but I'm wondering what type of guard we could have gotten. With Galloway, XJ, Cupps and Newton expected to contribute combined with transfer rules I guarantee if we had gotten another 4 star and or solid guard transfer one of our guards would have decommitted or transferred leaving us in the same situation. In hindsight we can all say "that would have been great given the injuries and Galloway's play." 

Another poster mentioned our coaching staff knew that Newton would not play this year but I can't imagine that being correct. If Newton was going to be out the entire they would have added another guard.

Are we bad a at developing guards? Maybe? XJ isn't proof of this due to the injury plagued season he's had, which was not expected. Galloway hasn't performed the way we would have expected but he's also performed way below our baseline expectations. With that said having XJ hurt, Galloway as a shell of himself and Newton out indefinitely is a worse case scenario that would require ostracizing incoming recruits and senior guards for this unlikely event.

Lastly, let's say we filled that last position with a 4 star or good transfer. We would be in the same position we are this year. That position being we want 5 star talent at the guard position but 5 star talent isn't going to come in due to our coaches requirement of competing with more experienced 4 star talent for a starting job. My guess is that Woody purposefully said let's ride or die with Galloway and X hoping we can get real talent at the guard position for the 24-25 season. 

My opinion (remember I'm an idiot) is that filling that 12 spot with a decent guard would have continued the cycle of average guard play for Indiana. It's not as simple as having a scholarship open and filling it. You have to fill it in a manner that doesn't compromise the remainder of the team. If we fill 2 spots next year with high 4 star, 5 star and or top 10 transfer guards we don't run the risk of losing Cupps and or Newton. 

The staff knew there was a chance Newton would be out. That’s a fact. Also adding a grad transfer or someone from the portal wouldn’t have led to anyone transferring. This team didn’t have enough guard depth for that to happen. I’m not saying they should’ve landed a starter or anything but a solid guard. Plenty of teams have guys like that they picked up that are coming off their bench.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Why do other teams manage to have more guards than us?

Now, I’ll buy that our regressive brand of basketball is less appealing to guards and results in less guard minutes, but that seems to be something we could solve by… not being regressive. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The staff knew there was a chance Newton would be out. That’s a fact. Also adding a grad transfer or someone from the portal wouldn’t have led to anyone transferring. This team didn’t have enough guard depth for that to happen. I’m not saying they should’ve landed a starter or anything but a solid guard. Plenty of teams have guys like that they picked up that are coming off their bench.

I hear you on these points. Was there any grad transfer who had any interest in filling Newton's minutes? 

17 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

No clue but IU didn’t really pursue any and that’s the problem. 

Seems to me I read the phrase swing and miss (why don’t we use ’airball’) read it more than I like concerning Guards?? Fears, Love, many others! My concern why? I’ve got a feeling that while coach and us want the best, the best still see IU as a mid tier program! They don’t wear crimson glasses! It’s going to take some time, but in the meantime do we settle? I surely don’t want anymore Prillers or Gelons on the team that only extends the mid tier belief! JMHO

Edit: We’ve had 20 some years to build the mid tier brand, it’s going to take some time and persistence to change that!!

Edited by Drroogh

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Why do other teams manage to have more guards than us?

Now, I’ll buy that our regressive brand of basketball is less appealing to guards and results in less guard minutes, but that seems to be something we could solve by… not being regressive. 

I don't believe Indiana want's to play regressive basketball I think the Big Ten as a whole wants this. I believe the Big Ten wants this garbage brand of basketball even if it destroys probability of success in the future. 

When we look at the current NBA guards coming out of the Big Ten the list is limited. 14 guards.

Kobe Bufkin 2023 Hawks
Brandin Podziemski 2023 Warriors
Jalen Hood-Schifino 2023 Lakers
Jaden Ivey 2022 Pistons
Dalano Banton 2021 Celtics
Ayo Dosunmu 2021 Bulls
Jordan Poole 2019 Wizards
Caris LeVert 2016 Cavaliers
D'Angelo Russell 2015 Lakers
Gary Harris 2014 Magic
Tim Hardaway Jr. 2013 Mavericks
Victor Oladipo 2013 Rockets
Eric Gordon 2008 Suns
Mike Conley 2007 Timberwolves

Compare this to the list of current NBA guards from the ACC, The number is 40.

Jordan Miller G 2023 Clippers
A.J. Griffin, Jr. SG 2022 Hawks
Dereon Seabron SG 2022 Pelicans
Blake Wesley SG 2022 Spurs
Jose Alvarado G 2021 Pelicans
Trey Murphy III G 2021 Pelicans
Trent Forrest SG 2020 Hawks
Devin Vassell SG 2020 Spurs
Patrick Williams G 2020 Bulls
Cole Anthony PG 2020 Magic
Tre Jones PG 2020 Spurs
Nickeil Alexander-Walker SG 2019 Timberwolves
R.J. Barrett SG 2019 Knicks
Terance Mann SG 2019 Clippers
Cameron Johnson G 2019 Nets
Cam Reddish G 2019 Lakers
Ty Jerome PG 2019 Cavaliers
Coby White PG 2019 Bulls
Grayson Allen SG 2018 Suns
Bruce Brown, Jr. SG 2018 Pacers
Josh Okogie SG 2018 Suns
Jerome Robinson SG 2018 Warriors
Gary Trent, Jr. SG 2018 Raptors
Lonnie Walker SG 2018 Nets
Luke Kennard SG 2017 Grizzlies
Donovan Mitchell SG 2017 Cavaliers
Dennis Smith PG 2017 Nets
Malik Beasley SG 2016 Bucks
Malcolm Brogdon SG 2016 Trail Blazers
Damion Lee G 2016 Suns
Terry Rozier G 2015 Hornets
Tyus Jones PG 2015 Wizards
Joe Harris SG 2014 Pistons
Reggie Bullock SG 2013 Rockets
Seth Curry G 2013 Mavericks
Kyrie Irving G 2011 Mavericks
Reggie Jackson G 2011 Nuggets
Ish Smith PG 2010 Hornets
Chris Paul PG 2005 Warriors

The SEC has 26 guards currently in the NBA. 

Anthony Black Arkansas G 2023
Nick Smith, Jr. Arkansas G 2023
Cason Wallace Kentucky G 2023
Stanley Umude Arkansas G 2022
Andrew Nembhard Gonzaga PG 2022
TyTy Washington, Jr. Kentucky PG 2022
Joshua Primo Alabama G 2021
Javonte Smart LSU G 2021
Keon Johnson Tennessee PG 2021
Tre Mann Florida PG 2021
Davion Mitchell Baylor PG 2021
Cam Thomas LSU PG 2021
Saben Lee Vanderbilt PG 2020
Kira Lewis, Jr. Alabama PG 2020
Tyrese Maxey Kentucky PG 2020
Skylar Mays LSU PG 2020
Immanuel Quickley Kentucky PG 2020
Darius Garland Vanderbilt G 2019
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander Kentucky PG 2018
Collin Sexton Alabama PG 2018
De'Aaron Fox Kentucky PG 2017
Alex Caruso Texas A&M G 2016
Josh Richardson Tennessee G 2015
Jordan Clarkson Missouri G 2014
Garrett Temple LSU G 2009
Patrick Beverley Arkansas PG 2009

The big ten has facilitated an institution of garbage basketball from the Big Ten executive level to referees that prevents its basketball teams from drafting and developing top level guards. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

They pursued Love, Knecht, Timberlake and Ledlum. Maybe others. They didn’t get them. 

Of those, only Love and Timberlake could play the 2/3. We also went after Dingle from Penn. Timberlake is only putting up around 3 per game in 12 minutes for Kansas. Dingle is scoring around 12 per game on 25+ minutes. Love is at 14 PPG for AZ.

4 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I don't believe Indiana want's to play regressive basketball I think the Big Ten as a whole wants this. I believe the Big Ten wants this garbage brand of basketball even if it destroys probability of success in the future. 

When we look at the current NBA guards coming out of the Big Ten the list is limited. 14 guards.

Kobe Bufkin 2023 Hawks
Brandin Podziemski 2023 Warriors
Jalen Hood-Schifino 2023 Lakers
Jaden Ivey 2022 Pistons
Dalano Banton 2021 Celtics
Ayo Dosunmu 2021 Bulls
Jordan Poole 2019 Wizards
Caris LeVert 2016 Cavaliers
D'Angelo Russell 2015 Lakers
Gary Harris 2014 Magic
Tim Hardaway Jr. 2013 Mavericks
Victor Oladipo 2013 Rockets
Eric Gordon 2008 Suns
Mike Conley 2007 Timberwolves

Compare this to the list of current NBA guards from the ACC, The number is 40.

Jordan Miller G 2023 Clippers
A.J. Griffin, Jr. SG 2022 Hawks
Dereon Seabron SG 2022 Pelicans
Blake Wesley SG 2022 Spurs
Jose Alvarado G 2021 Pelicans
Trey Murphy III G 2021 Pelicans
Trent Forrest SG 2020 Hawks
Devin Vassell SG 2020 Spurs
Patrick Williams G 2020 Bulls
Cole Anthony PG 2020 Magic
Tre Jones PG 2020 Spurs
Nickeil Alexander-Walker SG 2019 Timberwolves
R.J. Barrett SG 2019 Knicks
Terance Mann SG 2019 Clippers
Cameron Johnson G 2019 Nets
Cam Reddish G 2019 Lakers
Ty Jerome PG 2019 Cavaliers
Coby White PG 2019 Bulls
Grayson Allen SG 2018 Suns
Bruce Brown, Jr. SG 2018 Pacers
Josh Okogie SG 2018 Suns
Jerome Robinson SG 2018 Warriors
Gary Trent, Jr. SG 2018 Raptors
Lonnie Walker SG 2018 Nets
Luke Kennard SG 2017 Grizzlies
Donovan Mitchell SG 2017 Cavaliers
Dennis Smith PG 2017 Nets
Malik Beasley SG 2016 Bucks
Malcolm Brogdon SG 2016 Trail Blazers
Damion Lee G 2016 Suns
Terry Rozier G 2015 Hornets
Tyus Jones PG 2015 Wizards
Joe Harris SG 2014 Pistons
Reggie Bullock SG 2013 Rockets
Seth Curry G 2013 Mavericks
Kyrie Irving G 2011 Mavericks
Reggie Jackson G 2011 Nuggets
Ish Smith PG 2010 Hornets
Chris Paul PG 2005 Warriors

The SEC has 26 guards currently in the NBA. 

Anthony Black Arkansas G 2023
Nick Smith, Jr. Arkansas G 2023
Cason Wallace Kentucky G 2023
Stanley Umude Arkansas G 2022
Andrew Nembhard Gonzaga PG 2022
TyTy Washington, Jr. Kentucky PG 2022
Joshua Primo Alabama G 2021
Javonte Smart LSU G 2021
Keon Johnson Tennessee PG 2021
Tre Mann Florida PG 2021
Cam Thomas LSU PG 2021
Saben Lee Vanderbilt PG 2020
Kira Lewis, Jr. Alabama PG 2020
Tyrese Maxey Kentucky PG 2020
Skylar Mays LSU PG 2020
Immanuel Quickley Kentucky PG 2020
Darius Garland Vanderbilt G 2019
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander Kentucky PG 2018
Collin Sexton Alabama PG 2018
De'Aaron Fox Kentucky PG 2017
Alex Caruso Texas A&M G 2016
Josh Richardson Tennessee G 2015
Jordan Clarkson Missouri G 2014
Garrett Temple LSU G 2009
Patrick Beverley Arkansas PG 2009

The big ten has facilitated an institution of garbage basketball from the Big Ten executive level to referees that prevents its basketball teams from drafting and developing top level guards. 

The Big 12 has 21

Keyonte George Baylor G 2023
Markquis Nowell Kansas State PG 2023
Jeremy Sochan Baylor SG 2022
Kendall Brown Baylor G 2022
Quentin Grimes Houston SG 2021
Miles McBride West Virginia G 2021
Jared Butler Baylor PG 2021
Austin Reaves Oklahoma PG 2021
Desmond Bane TCU SG 2020
Lindy Waters III Oklahoma State SG 2020
Tyrese Haliburton Iowa State PG 2020
Lindell Wigginton Iowa State SG 2019
Jevon Carter West Virginia PG 2018
Devonte' Graham Kansas PG 2018
Trae Young Oklahoma PG 2018
Monte Morris Iowa State G 2017
Buddy Hield Oklahoma G 2016
Marcus Smart Oklahoma State PG 2014
Alec Burks Colorado SG 2011
Cory Joseph Texas PG 2011

The Pac 12 has 29 

Amari Bailey UCLA G 6-3 2023
Jules Bernard UCLA SG 6-6 2022
Johnny Juzang UCLA SG 6-5 2022
Dalen Terry Arizona PG 6-7 2022
Josh Christopher Arizona State G 6-4 2021
Chris Duarte Oregon PG 6-5 2021
Josh Green Arizona SG 6-5 2020
Malachi Flynn San Diego State PG 6-1 2020
Payton Pritchard Oregon PG 6-1 2020
Jaylen Nowell Washington SG 6-4 2019
Luguentz Dort Arizona State PG 6-4 2019
De'Anthony Melton USC SG 6-3 2018
Jordan McLaughlin USC G 6-0 2018
Aaron Holiday UCLA PG 6-0 2018
Derrick White Colorado G 6-4 2017
Lonzo Ball UCLA PG 6-6 2017
Markelle Fultz Washington PG 6-4 2017
Dejounte Murray Washington SG 6-5 2016
Gary Payton II Oregon State G 6-2 2016
Norman Powell UCLA SG 6-4 2015
T.J. McConnell Arizona G 6-1 2015
Delon Wright Utah G 6-5 2015
Zach LaVine UCLA SG 6-5 2014
Spencer Dinwiddie Colorado PG 6-5 2014
Klay Thompson Washington State G 6-6 2011
James Harden Arizona State SG 6-5 2009
Jrue Holiday UCLA G 6-4 2009
Russell Westbrook UCLA G 6-4 2008

The big ten is worst power 5 conference at producing NBA level guards. This isn't an Indiana problem it's a big ten problem. In the era of guard driven basketball the Big Ten will routinely fall behind until it decides to allow a more free flowing type of basketball. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

my frustration (and this isn't aimed necessarily at you) is i don't see why we wouldn't have high expectations this season.  only argument is we lost a lot from our roster.  that said, most high level teams do these days.  transfer portal, early NBA, etc.  new world of college bball is that the roster is going to change a lot every year.  so we have three 5 star guys, a 6th year PG, and a returning starter from last season.  that's not as much talent as most?

The primary factor in what I saw going into the season was the guards. You need high quality guards to be able to sustain success at this level. When we didn’t land a difference maker in the portal at the guard position, my expectations changed for this team. Again, I really like our guys, but I didn’t realistically see this team competing for a B1G title or much more once we decided to pocket the last scholarship. Indiana has been most successful when we’ve had great guard play. And for whatever reason, we just haven’t landed much since 2015. 

• Like 3