Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Come on man...You questioned his lineups in the thread I quoted...Later, I simply said he's gotta see what he's going to get from the unproven kids (pretty much anyone beside Trey, X, and to a point, Malik), what lineups work best together and against mid-majors, winning margin be damned. We were going to win those games simply because of talent discrepancy...There's not anything wrong with that...As a matter of fact, it was a smart thing to do...Kids can only prove so much in practice...

As far as being critical, I'm all for it...But it devolves into "Woodson doesn't know what he's doing and isn't the right guy for the job" real quickly...I can cite examples of that if you'd like...

Almost as well as this 

image.thumb.png.625e73847b29602c4844b8a00f68b6d1.png

or this

image.thumb.png.4211af10ad7e29b07134459a0b75a92d.png

when Woody was hired?

See, 2 can play!

Of course I questioned lineups, not every lineup is great. That doesn't prove some point you think you're making about why those games were way closer than they should have been. 

As has been shared, our starters largely played heavy minutes in those games. 

Again, give some examples instead of just screenshotting comments from old threads. Give us some critical thinking. 

Sharing my initial reaction to Woodson's hiring is also not the flex you think it is. I've also been very open about that. At first I really did not like the hire. In not now, and never have hidden that 

When the staff began getting hired, I quickly came around and have been very positive about the hire ever since, and still am. 

I'm not now, and never run from that initial reaction. 

This sharing of screenshots in childish. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I also think you’re better than this. You make comments like @IUFLAposts like Woodson can do no wrong? Really?

I've said he's stifling constructive and engaging conversation. 

I have never once said Woodson should be fired, on the hot season, or anything remotely to the effect. 

I'm a Woodson fan. Doesn't mean I can't critically discuss basketball. 

Let me ask you this? What do you think the team is doing well right now and what do you think they can improve on? 

Let's talk about it. I'd love too! 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

But with regard to basketball, you have made it clear that no one can question him. It's literally what you're saying. 

You're in Logistics IIRC, right?

I'm in aviation...been doing it for over 40 years...

Do I know as much about logistics as you do? Even close? Can I film you doing your job for 2 hours and then go over it and speculate what you did "wrong?"

I'm not saying Mike Woodson is beyond criticism...I thought our play right before the half and in the last 7 minutes versus Maryland needed to be addressed, and lo and behold, at the press conference, Mike Woodson said the same thing! Who would have thought!

But see this is where I get sideways...Woody does a LOT of stuff simply in the name of leading these kids, and you never take that into account...Sometimes you have to sacrifice early, even to the point of failure, to get the max out of some people...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Do I know as much about logistics as you do? Even close? Can I film you doing your job for 2 hours and then go over it and speculate what you did "wrong?"

I'm not saying Mike Woodson is beyond criticism...I thought our play right before the half and in the last 7 minutes versus Maryland needed to be addressed, and lo and behold, at the press conference, Mike Woodson said the same thing! Who would have thought!

But see this is where I get sideways...Woody does a LOT of stuff simply in the name of leading these kids, and you never take that into account...Sometimes you have to sacrifice early, even to the point of failure, to get the max out of some people...

The bolded is really my biggest point of contention with you right now. 

Of course Mike Woodson addresses these things, he's the coach. He's done a really good job most of the time on these things. 

I like discussing basketball. I like discussing IU basketball. I like engaging with the members of HSN on why IU isn't playing well in those moments, my opinion on how they can play better, and ways I think Mike Woodson can address those things. 

It's fun and I like engaging with this community on those things. Sometimes it's positive, sometimes it's negative and sometimes it's emotional. 

I see absolutely nothing wrong with those conversations, and it feels like you're main goal is stop those conversations. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I sell Enterprise Software, I'm at least equally at the top of my profession as Mike Woodson and could give a myriad of data points to back it up. But that isn't the point really. 

I would absolutely not say that I am beyond critique for what I do. Anyone who spent as much time as a lot of folks on here do around sales, having human conversations, psychology, leadership, etc. if more than welcome to give me feedback and I'll happily listen and try to apply what makes sense. I am constantly seeking out ways to improve from others.

I take plenty of what he does leading the kids into account, what are you talking about? I can also see the big picture and understand we are a work in progress. I just don't see how that means Mike Woodson, or any coach or person in authority, is beyond being critiqued. 

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

You and @KoB2011 seem to be doing a really good job of doing the same thing! Stand back from the tree and look at the forest.

Explain what you mean here, I'm not seeing it but I'm open to changing my mind.

I got tagged in a post that I had no part of the conversation, telling me I was wrong for question a decision in the game thread. And the only "evidence" I've been given is that Mike Woodson is the coach so he's right and I'm wrong. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Again, any opinions on how the team is playing? Any thoughts on how IU can play better or improve?

Would love your thoughts and to discuss with you. 

My thoughts are irrelevant my claim to fame in basketball was to airball the one and only FT I took on the 6th grade team! The repetitive comments about how 3 points and whatever get old. Instead of just pointing out the things that need to get fixed, try pointing out how you think staff went about making the improvements you say they’ve made. Would love to read your thoughts along those lines instead of just pointing out everything that still needs improvement.

8 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

My thoughts are irrelevant my claim to fame in basketball was to airball the one and only FT I took on the 6th grade team! The repetitive comments about how 3 points and whatever get old. Instead of just pointing out the things that need to get fixed, try pointing out how you think staff went about making the improvements you say they’ve made. Would love to read your thoughts along those lines instead of just pointing out everything that still needs improvement.

On 12/1/2023 at 11:17 PM, BGleas said:

Really solid win! Maryland isn't all that good, but we've been asking for this team to take care of business in games like this, especially at home, and they did it! 

I really like Galloway running the point. He's a calming influence many times, he played well, with energy and made good decisions. I like him in this role.

There ya go!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'll also say this, Woody took out the 2 kids who were most responsible for the win... Probably so they could get a nice round of applause from the grateful fans, which happened...

Small thing, but everything in leadership counts...

This is how I saw it as it happened. Game was under control. I agree with Woodys decision. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I guess you don't read a lot of my posts. 

I thought the move to go zone against Louisville was a great move, and also defended Woodson against posters trying to say he shouldn't get credit because it was an assistants idea. 

I was very positive about Woodson going to more of a horns set beginning with the Louisville game, and also more 4-out/1-in with using a big at the top of the key. 

I shared clips last week from Coach Adranga (sp?) of sets ran to get MM more involved in the offense coming off pin down screens. I shared that I thought we should do that more often. 

I shared in this thread that I really liked to see IU take care of business against Maryland. Sure, I don't think Maryland is all that great, but we took care of business and largely played well, which was great to see. 

I also don't think you can't share opinions just because you didn't play basketball beyond 6th grade. You're still allowed to share your thoughts. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I guess you don't read a lot of my posts. 

I thought the move to go zone against Louisville was a great move, and also defended Woodson against posters trying to say he shouldn't get credit because it was an assistants idea. 

I was very positive about Woodson going to more of a horns set beginning with the Louisville game, and also more 4-out/1-in with using a big at the top of the key. 

I shared clips last week from Coach Adranga (sp?) of sets ran to get MM more involved in the offense coming off pin down screens. I shared that I thought we should do that more often. 

I shared in this thread that I really liked to see IU take care of business against Maryland. Sure, I don't think Maryland is all that great, but we took care of business and largely played well, which was great to see. 

I also don't think you can't share opinions just because you didn't play basketball beyond 6th grade. You're still allowed to share your thoughts. 

All good man!

35 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Of course I questioned lineups, not every lineup is great. That doesn't prove some point you think you're making about why those games were way closer than they should have been. 

Again, you're not reading what I'm saying...We played 10 kids in most of those games...Even in the UConn game we played 10...

Against the lower tier competition, we probably could have won by more tightening up the rotation, and therefore enhancing our analytics (which you, yourself, in this thread deemed important). My contention is, Woody was using different combinations and playing time to establish, down the road in conference play, who would be in that tighter rotation...He's getting an idea in practice, but he's going to get a better idea in games. Did we play well against FGCU, Army, or Wright State? No, we did not...But that's more execution than scheme...I believe our scheme these last 2 games has been the same, the execution is simply better...We won...You guys keep saying we should have won by more to enhance the analytics and possibly our seed in the tournament (if we get there)...So in those games, how would we do that?

But that's what it takes sometimes to get everyone on the same page and motivated to be better in the long term...

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This sharing of screenshots in childish. 

Dredging up the fact that I thought Archie Miller deserved another year isn't? I've said many time since that Dolson made the right decision 

33 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Anyone who spent as much time as a lot of folks on here do around sales, having human conversations, psychology, leadership, etc. if more than welcome to give me feedback and I'll happily listen and try to apply what makes sense. I am constantly seeking out ways to improve from others.

I'd like to believe that

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Again, you're not reading what I'm saying...We played 10 kids in most of those games...Even in the UConn game we played 10...

Against the lower tier competition, we probably could have won by more tightening up the rotation, and therefore enhancing our analytics (which you, yourself, in this thread deemed important). My contention is, Woody was using different combinations and playing time to establish, down the road in conference play, who would be in that tighter rotation...He's getting an idea in practice, but he's going to get a better idea in games. Did we play well against FGCU, Army, or Wright State? No, we did not...But that's more execution than scheme...I believe our scheme these last 2 games has been the same, the execution is simply better...We won...You guys keep saying we should have won by more to enhance the analytics and possibly our seed in the tournament (if we get there)...So in those games, how would we do that?

But that's what it takes sometimes to get everyone on the same page and motivated to be better in the long term...

Dredging up the fact that I thought Archie Miller deserved another year isn't? I've said many time since that Dolson made the right decision 

I don't believe I've said a single word about Archie Miller or your opinion on that. 

Appreciate your response on the lineup topic. I see more clearly now what your point is, though i still wholeheartedly disagree. But I'm glad I understand your point better. 

You are saying those games were closer than they could have been because Woodson played a wider rotation, was giving guys a chance in different roles, etc., and all in the name if improvement down the line. 

I'll love your view on what those lineups were or how Woodson was tinkering with the lineups?

Our starters played a significantly high amount of minutes in those games. Again, Harvard for example 4 starters played 30+ minutes. 

FGCU, 4 starters played 30+ minutes and 3 of them played 35+ minutes. 

I never really saw guys getting opportunities in different roles or anything (ie. Trying MM at the 4 trying Gunn at pg or something,  etc). 

It's my opinion that we flatout just weren't really ready to play and didn't play well. There are reasons for that (ie. Whole new front-court, etc.) and thats what these non-conference games are for. But even then, the performances weren't great or encouraging. 

I don't think Woodson likes that those games were close or was really using any strategy that purposely sacrificed margin of victory for improvement. 

We didn't play well and our starters played a high number of minutes in these games. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, I did that after you posted screenshots and after you’d said several times Woodson is right just because he knows more about basketball than me.

It was primarily used to demonstrate the fallacy of an argument from authority. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, I did that after you posted screenshots and after you’d said several times Woodson is right just because he knows more about basketball than me.

It was primarily used to demonstrate the fallacy of an argument from authority. 

So I'm an authority on...firing/hiring basketball coaches?

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

So I'm an authority on...firing/hiring basketball coaches?

No, my point was an authority on something can be wrong and should still be questioned.

Kinda like you thought the authorities in the MM Taco Bell issue should be questioned about how they handled things. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'll love your view on what those lineups were or how Woodson was tinkering with the lineups?

I'd have to go back and watch the games, paying closer attention to who was on the floor together...But I'm not going to do that...

And I'd be outkicking my coverage if I even began to evaluate that...As I said, I trust Woody to do it...

I see all the time that player 1 and player 2 shouldn't be in the game together...Well, I'm not sure why Woody puts certain combinations in, but I'm sure he has a reason...He doesn't have Armond Hill back there drawing names out of a hat...