Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, I think he experimented with lineups not worrying about whether we won by 6 or 16. And that WAS for the benefit of the team.

When did he experiment with lineups? I have still yet to see this, I saw us have to play starters HEAVY minutes against inferior opponents. What game specifically are you talking about he experimented, and what was the lineup?

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I "insinuated" nothing of the sort. If Mike Woodson had wanted to with by a larger margin than we did, he would have shortened the bench, but in the end, THAT would be to the detriment of the team

How much shorter can he make the bench than playing the starters 30-35+ minutes? The only guy who played that heavy of minutes last year on average was TJD.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There no tracking of lineups in stats throughout a game, so that would be impossible, but go back and look at the game threads... As I said, y'all were more worried about the margin than the goal.

This is just incredibly false. I think people are concerned with how we are playing and the score is an indicator of that, but no one cares about the actual margin of victory. I think a lot of us are perfectly capable of telling you what good and bad basketball looks like without looking at a scoreboard or a stat sheet. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think his point is "Mike Woodson is right, therefore if you disagree with him on anything, you're wrong."

It's an absurd point and a logical fallacy, but I think that's what he's reduced all his arguments to in these past few posts. 

Concerning basketball and leadership, that would be absolutely true...

You guys get to watch this team 4 hours a week. If you read articles and watch videos, maybe another hour invested in the team.

Mike Woodson is around these kids pretty much every day. He knows them, their games, and is learning what motivated each one. To y'all it's a past time, to him its his life...

So yeah, I think it's very presumptuous for you or @BGleas to question his methods...

I realize this is a forum, and that things are discussed and debated, but in my opinion at the end of the day 🙂 the answer is pretty apparent 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Concerning basketball and leadership, that would be absolutely true...

You guys get to watch this team 4 hours a week. If you read articles and watch videos, maybe another hour invested in the team.

Mike Woodson is around these kids pretty much every day. He knows them, their games, and is learning what motivated each one. To y'all it's a past time, to him its his life...

So yeah, I think it's very presumptuous for you or @BGleas to question his methods...

I realize this is a forum, and that things are discussed and debated, but in my opinion at the end of the day 🙂 the answer is pretty apparent 

So you think someone in a position of leadership cannot be wrong and is beyond being questioned, because they invest more time in it? Just want to make sure I understand exactly what you're saying.... 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, I think he experimented with lineups not worrying about whether we won by 6 or 16. And that WAS for the benefit of the team.

I "insinuated" nothing of the sort. If Mike Woodson had wanted to with by a larger margin than we did, he would have shortened the bench, but in the end, THAT would be to the detriment of the team.

I never, not once, said we played well. For Christ sake, it was 2 or 3 games into the season! If we looked that bad after 15 or 16 games, I'd be concerned... 

There no tracking of lineups in stats throughout a game, so that would be impossible, but go back and look at the game threads... As I said, y'all were more worried about the margin than the goal.

And I asked this before... Do you think we'll still be playing 9 kids double digit minutes in February? 

@KoB2011 nailed it, but since you quoted me here, what lineups? Can you give some examples? 

What lineups was Woodson tinkering with? As KoB said, our starters played heavy minutes in these games. 

Can you give some examples?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So you think someone in a position of leadership cannot be wrong and is beyond being questioned, because they invest more time in it? Just want to make sure I understand exactly what you're saying.... 

That would be breaking the very first tenant of leadership...Anyone who's ever led anything knows that...

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, BGleas said:

@KoB2011 nailed it, but since you quoted me here, what lineups? Can you give some examples? 

What lineups was Woodson tinkering with? As KoB said, our starters played heavy minutes in these games. 

Can you give some examples?

You guys were the ones bitching about Mike Woodson's lineups, not me...I was just trying to explain why I thought he was doing what he was doing...Wanna see? BTW, I had to use screenshots over posts because you can't quote from a closed thread...

image.thumb.png.9d4cccab33ce0b297fdf9c81020f491f.png

image.thumb.png.96dcb050e3720f18dc7b3a6db6ac7bb6.png

image.thumb.png.f2b0a6f65c2ff07f4b886440a12ae5a4.png

image.thumb.png.409c9339e0dadc9217e489fb347a1184.png

So it was YOU that questioned the lineup...Not me...I was good with whatever Woody was doing simply because he KNOWS what he's doing far better than you do...

Does that explain it?

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That would be breaking the very first tenant of leadership...Anyone who's ever led anything knows that...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You guys were the ones bitching about Mike Woodson's lineups, not me...I was just trying to explain why I thought he was doing what he was doing...Wanna see? BTW, I had to use screenshots over posts because you can't quote from a closed thread...

So it was YOU that questioned the lineup...Not me...I was good with whatever Woody was doing simply because he KNOWS what he's doing far better than you do...

Does that explain it?

lol shut up 

• Haha 1

Does that explain it?

Those screenshots don't really prove or show anything? Not every lineup is great, thst doesn't show whatsoever your stance that Mike Woodson was somehow not caring about margin of victory. 

I'm sorry, but your entire contention seems to be, "stop talking about anything negative. Mike Woodson knows all."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Those screenshots don't really prove or show anything? Not every lineup is great, thst doesn't show whatsoever your stance that Mike Woodson was somehow not caring about margin of victory. 

I'm sorry, but your entire contention seems to be, "stop talking about anything negative. Mike Woodson knows all."

Don’t forget where he said this:

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just now, BGleas said:

<sigh>

I'm not going to re-explain it...People can read...

That's not true at all...But he knows more than you do about basketball and leadership (which you never seem to factor in)...

<sigh>

That's not true at all...But he knows more than you do about basketball and leadership (which you never seem to factor in)...

So does Archie Miller.

I guess that explains why you thought we should keep Archie. Shows how well this argument plays out for you…

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

<sigh>

What are you even talking about? 

I like discussing and analyzing basketball. I like discussing and analyzing IU basketball. 

It's why I post on HSN. It's fun to discuss the game. 

I never said I know more than Mike Woodson. I never made a single comment or post about Mike Woodson's leadership capabilities and certainly not in comparison to mine. 

I enjoy discussing basketball and IU basketball. I like discussing what I'm seeing on the court. 

It's not always going to be positive, but not sure why you seem to be on this mission to stifle any conversation that isn't positive, especially when the team clearly was not playing well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Don’t forget where he said this:

Yes, and where, exactly, was that tenant broken?

By 2 people on an internet forum questioning roster construction/game play//lineups of a guy who's been in basketball pretty much his whole 65 years on this planet? 🤣🤣🤣

20 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Obviously there is a tenant that when two posters agree anyone else’s discussion points are wrong!

But the only counterpoint being shared is stop being negative. 

Foe example, I asked IUFLA several times for examples of lineup tinkering that Woodson had been doing, and I've gotten nothing. 

I'm engaged in the conversation on how IU can play and be better. Love discussing these things. 

But the "other side" seems to just want to say, "stop discussing these things."

• Like 1

By 2 people on an internet forum questioning roster construction/game play//lineups of a guy who's been in basketball pretty much his whole 65 years on this planet? 🤣🤣🤣

Should we just shut HSN down then? What's the point if we can't discuss our thoughts on the team and how they're playing?

• Like 2

Just now, IUFLA said:

Woodson hasn’t broke anything, but you repeatedly have said whatever Woodson does is right because he’s Woodson.

If Mike Woodson does something wrong it doesn’t matter if @BGleas, who spent a majority of his life in basketball, or Coach K is the one pointing it out. The merits are all the matter, not who is pointing something out.

Any good leader would recognize that…

• Like 1

<sigh>

Remember sitting on the front steps with my neighbor who is a Doctorate in Sports Management and professor of sports management. He was bragging how he helped get his best student a job with the Piston’s. Then he said she’ll probably start in sales because everyone starts in sales. I remembered @BGleasworked for the Celtics and wondered if that’s where he worked?

Just now, Drroogh said:

Remember sitting on the front steps with my neighbor who is a Doctorate in Sports Management and professor of sports management. He was bragging how he helped get his best student a job with the Piston’s. Then he said she’ll probably start in sales because everyone starts in sales. I remembered @BGleasworked for the Celtics and wondered if that’s where he worked?

Wow, really? You're better than that. 

And, I've never hidden my role with the Celtics (Media Relations Department). 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

What are you even talking about? 

I like discussing and analyzing basketball. I like discussing and analyzing IU basketball. 

It's why I post on HSN. It's fun to discuss the game. 

I never said I know more than Mike Woodson. I never made a single comment or post about Mike Woodson's leadership capabilities and certainly not in comparison to mine. 

I enjoy discussing basketball and IU basketball. I like discussing what I'm seeing on the court. 

It's not always going to be positive, but not sure why you seem to be on this mission to stifle any conversation that isn't positive, especially when the team clearly was not playing well. 

Come on man...You questioned his lineups in the thread I quoted...Later, I simply said he's gotta see what he's going to get from the unproven kids (pretty much anyone beside Trey, X, and to a point, Malik), what lineups work best together and against mid-majors, winning margin be damned. We were going to win those games simply because of talent discrepancy...There's not anything wrong with that...As a matter of fact, it was a smart thing to do...Kids can only prove so much in practice...

As far as being critical, I'm all for it...But it devolves into "Woodson doesn't know what he's doing and isn't the right guy for the job" real quickly...I can cite examples of that if you'd like...

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So does Archie Miller.

I guess that explains why you thought we should keep Archie. Shows how well this argument plays out for you…

Almost as well as this 

image.thumb.png.625e73847b29602c4844b8a00f68b6d1.png

or this

image.thumb.png.4211af10ad7e29b07134459a0b75a92d.png

when Woody was hired?

See, 2 can play!