Curt Cignetti Hired as Indiana Head Coach

KDB

Good read from ESPN

Cignetti, Indiana a model for programs seeking turnarounds

Indiana's first 6-0 start since 1967, under a first-year coach in Curt Cignetti, carries a natural element of shock. The Hoosiers simply don't do this, regardless of who is leading their program. But what stood out to me in watching Indiana become the nation's first -- and, amazingly, only -- bowl-eligible team is how unfazed the team looks. Indiana is exceptionally well-coached by Cignetti and his staff. The offense is undeniably legitimate, from quarterback Kurtis Rourke to wide receiver Elijah Sarratt to a barrage of backs to an offensive line that doesn't get nearly enough credit. Indiana is a machine right now, built by Cignetti, through mostly veteran transfers who understand their roles, the schemes and don't flinch.

Programs that are trying to flip their fortunes in the transfer portal/NIL era should model themselves after Indiana, which found a veteran, proven coach in Cignetti and armed him with the resources to completely change the roster in one offseason. Indiana might not be a true CFP contender -- its second-half schedule includes Ohio State, Nebraska, Washington and Michigan -- but the team is not a fluke and is likely the envy of many. -- Adam Rittenberg

• Like 4

this got buried in another thread, but I wanted to post it here in case anybody missed it. 

Many coaches use 'process' as a cliche. I love how cig lives and breathes it. Do what you gotta do. Be efficient. Let the results take care of themselves. I have bad knees and even I want to run through a wall for this guy, because while he's tough, he clearly has a great deal of respect for his players. When respect is a 2 way street, good things happen. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

this got buried in another thread, but I wanted to post it here in case anybody missed it. 

Many coaches use 'process' as a cliche. I love how cig lives and breathes it. Do what you gotta do. Be efficient. Let the results take care of themselves. I have bad knees and even I want to run through a wall for this guy, because while he's tough, he clearly has a great deal of respect for his players. When respect is a 2 way street, good things happen. 

Went in, kicked their asses, came home.

There really wasn't much more to explain. We all should wake every morning with that as our plan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I wouldn't say pay him whatever he wants for a few more years, but definitely give him as much money as he needs to keep up what he has started.

I don't know man.  He clearly cares about his staff.  We've got Tayvon and Tyler Cherry coming up. We seem pretty stacked. I think this season isn't a one off. 

We're in for a wild ride. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I wouldn't say pay him whatever he wants for a few more years, but definitely give him as much money as he needs to keep up what he has started.

We aren't in a position to gamble honestly. You pay him more and also up the buyout in the process. If he does this another year or two a big boy could call. If Kirby Smart or someone like that jumps to the NFL, Cignetti is going to be on shortlists

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

And just imagine if Julian Lewis flips. With him in town yesterday he’s gotta be VERY tempted. 

My God dude, Kurtis Rourke, a relative unknown is on ESPNs mid-season Heisman watch at #5. 

So agreed. 

Also, other schools are going to try to poach coach Cignetti.  I think he's here to stay. Sure, he could go to FSU or someplace and win. 

But based on his history and things he's said I think he wants to win here just to prove it can be done and show what he's capable of. 

download.jpeg.26579d29b1d8927b932ffc90c14afa36.jpeg

Sorry. Still riding yesterday's high. 

Edited by mrflynn03