Potential HC Candidates

KDB

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's almost a certainty that whoever gets hired is going to be here less than a decade.

Go get whoever is best to get the program in a better position over 3-7 years for the next round of hiring. 

I wonder what the list is of Power 5 programs that have had a coach longer than 10 years currently? Saban. Swinney. The guy at Oklahoma State. Maybe a couple others?

MIKE GUNDY HAS A NAME!!! HE WAS 40 ONCE!!!! 

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Never said I didn't want a good coach.   And I doubt Allen is the only coach that would stay at IU.

I mean, there just doesn't seem to be anything to back that up but okay.

We know Hart loves his alma mater, but do we really not think almost everyone that has spent their life in CFB doesn't have a program that is near and dear to their heart for some reason? Or doesn't just want to be at the top of their profession?

If I'm being honest, I don't know that I want a coach that would stay at IU if IU isn't their dream job for some reason. That doesn't sound like an ambitious person at all to me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's almost a certainty that whoever gets hired is going to be here less than a decade.

Go get whoever is best to get the program in a better position over 3-7 years for the next round of hiring. 

I wonder what the list is of Power 5 programs that have had a coach longer than 10 years currently? Saban. Swinney. The guy at Oklahoma State. Maybe a couple others?

Mark Stoops at Kentucky.  

• Like 1

Who in the world hires.... for anything, with the next 20 years in mind? 

There's like a 98% chance we have another thread just like this in ~5 years no matter who we hire, so get whoever can give us the most success in that time because 1) that's a lot more fun and 2) we will be in a better position in 5 years. 

If you want someone to coach for 20 years then hire me, I'll happily do it at a discounted rate of $2.5M. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This season was James Franklin's 10th at PSU

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I counted 11 P5 coaches that started before 2016 in their current roles. My very rough math says that's about 15% of P5 coaches.... seems like a silly thing to get hung up on IMO. 

https://collegefootballnetwork.com/longest-tenured-college-football-head-coaches/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Iowa coach has been there a while

• Like 2

The mentality of this board, probably rightfully so, is that the football program will not shake its reputation of being one that coaches want to stay at long term, until someone comes in and proves they can be a long term winner here. That as soon as someone has success at IU, they will move on to bigger and better things.

I hope the administration doesn't have this same mindset. Going into this not thinking that we're going to get our long-term solution becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and will just continue the cycle of having to find someone new every few years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I guess Hart had an impressive plan and staff that he would be bringing with him. At least one of the decision makers was really impressed. 

I actually like Hart as a candidate. Young, energetic, relatable. Been around good programs. 

A bit riskier than say Chryst or Candle. But also more upside imo.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Who in the world hires.... for anything, with the next 20 years in mind? 

There's like a 98% chance we have another thread just like this in ~5 years no matter who we hire, so get whoever can give us the most success in that time because 1) that's a lot more fun and 2) we will be in a better position in 5 years. 

If you want someone to coach for 20 years then hire me, I'll happily do it at a discounted rate of $2.5M. 

2.5 million is way too much. We can get @IUFLAfor a cool million per year.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I guess Hart had an impressive plan and staff that he would be bringing with him. At least one of the decision makers was really impressed. 

See... this is the "best route" to me, in terms of something that will stick. Lots of dudes need a job, Terry Hep wanted the job. 

It looks like Mike Hart WANTS the job. 

Maybe Candle had a similar type of interview? Not saying ONLY Mike Hart+ARE can get this job done, it's just... man it's going to take someone special to keep it going. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The mentality of this board, probably rightfully so, is that the football program will not shake its reputation of being one that coaches want to stay at long term, until someone comes in and proves they can be a long term winner here. That as soon as someone has success at IU, they will move on to bigger and better things.

I hope the administration doesn't have this same mindset. Going into this not thinking that we're going to get our long-term solution becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and will just continue the cycle of having to find someone new every few years.

As importantly as who the coach is, is the level the Universtiy is committed to investing in the program.

No matter how good our coach is, as long as the resources gap is so vast, we will not be a destination for many.

It's not being negative. It's what the University has currently relegated us to.

A coach doesn't change that on his own. It has to be a complete shift of resources of massive proportion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

See... this is the "best route" to me, in terms of something that will stick. Lots of dudes need a job, Terry Hep wanted the job. 

100%.

A man that has been here, knows exactly what we have and says "yes please".

That carries weight.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I'm starting to come around on Hart. He's a guy that knows our program. Pros and cons. He also knows recruiting at the IU and Michigan levels. He would have a ton of relationships already established. If he has a plan and the coaches to implement it, I'll take a guy with a vision and the passion to make it happen.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean, there just doesn't seem to be anything to back that up but okay.

We know Hart loves his alma mater, but do we really not think almost everyone that has spent their life in CFB doesn't have a program that is near and dear to their heart for some reason? Or doesn't just want to be at the top of their profession?

If I'm being honest, I don't know that I want a coach that would stay at IU if IU isn't their dream job for some reason. That doesn't sound like an ambitious person at all to me. 

Short of asking every coach if they would stay at IU if they had success, there's nothing to back any opinion on the matter.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Maybe Candle had a similar type of interview? Not saying ONLY Mike Hart+ARE can get this job done, it's just... man it's going to take someone special to keep it going. 

Candle is planning on bringing his staff with him. So that is what you are looking at if he is hired. 

• Like 2