Potential HC Candidates

KDB

There is no single candidate that is free of all concerns.  But of who is on the table, I think I like Herman, Cignetti, Willie Fritz, Candle, and I’ve heard great things about the Texas San Antonio coach, Traylor.  

That is a list of competent coaches who know how to put together an entire operation that can win.  Cignetti and Fritz’s ages do not matter to me one bit when we just hired a 63 year old Mike Woodson.  All they do is put together winning programs.  My list reminds me of the attributes Kalen DeBoer had.  Start at low levels, work your way up but totally have a top to bottom operation that is in synch and wins.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There is no single candidate that is free of all concerns.  But of who is on the table, I think I like Herman, Cignetti, Willie Fritz, Candle, and I’ve heard great things about the Texas San Antonio coach, Traylor.  

That is a list of competent coaches who know how to put together an entire operation that can win.  Cignetti and Fritz’s ages do not matter to me one bit when we just hired a 63 year old Mike Woodson.  All they do is put together winning programs.  My list reminds me of the attributes Kalen DeBoer had.  Start at low levels, work your way up but totally have a top to bottom operation that is in synch and wins.  

Cignetti is intriguing to me as well. I honestly just haven't had a chance to read more about him yet.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We need the right coach but NIL needs addressed with the coach and hopefully a big financial plan into football facilities.  

We have no idea what our NIL money looks Iike.  I wish I knew our budget versus competitors.  A lot of the big donors may be basketball centric.  But if our organizers can get the donor class on board for bigger football NIL packages, that would be mandatory.  The pitch needs to be that this is existential for not just football but critical indirectly for basketball.  If college sports gets reorganized through football IU could easily be left by the side of the road.  Then IU basketball will also take that hit.  And we don’t want to be a speciality sports program like Georgetown basketball.  That’s not who we are.  Helping football helps basketball and the school.   The AD job at IU is serious business right now.  Money begets more money.  

This is 100 percent correct.  This is a huge part of the issue and IU won’t have a chance at anything resembling a decent program if they don’t have the NIL to bring in players or the NIL to keep a player like McCulley or Sorsby once they have a good season.  NIL being addressed would be the first thing I would ask as a prospective head coach at IU.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I meant rock bottom in the B1G. I get that many here are viewing things through crimson-colored glasses, but outside of IU most would view this as one of the two worst jobs in the B1G, and probably bottom 5 or so in the P5.

IU's home recruiting base isn't particularly fertile, and we're third in the in-state FB pecking order. Meanwhile, we're surrounded on two sides by the two winningest programs of all time, plus other P5 schools like Cincinnati and Michigan State that have made it to the CFP in the last ten years.

This is an impossibly hard turnaround, and it's going to take someone that isn't necessarily splashy, but has the know-how and commitment to build a lasting program from the bottom up.

I doubt that names like Barry Alvarez, Kirk Ferentz, or Mark Dantonio won the press conference back in the day, but that's the type of hire IU desperately needs to make this time around.

See @BobSaccamanno post.  There is one issue that will fix this, money.  If they don’t address NIL, assistant pay, and facilities then everything you are saying is true except they unless they get lucky no coach will succeed at IU.

Your cream and crimson glasses statement shows you don’t get where college football is.  Your outline would have been great in 1998 but not in the new BIG of 2024.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

While we wait on coaching news, aside from NIL, one good thing is we’ve gone pretty heavy into capital projects for a lot of sports already.  But with all that work done already with building projects mostly behind us now, maybe we can go hard onto football facilities now.  It should be the priority.  

Recruits want to see that they will be developed to maximize potential (maybe pro), get paid, and be put into a posh environment that they can enjoy and help them succeed.   It’s not brain surgery but we cannot put bandaids on this stuff.  All of this has to be fixed or else what are we talking about?

It’s actually good we have a president that finally cares about sports.  My hope is she is going to not only back but push for the increase in football spending.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll just say this...

For the "must have head coaching experience" crowd, the only name that made me sit up and take notice is Tom Herman... He's built a good program (Houston) and been at a school (Texas) that does by any measure compare to Ohio State and Michigan...

The other names I've heard are lateral moves for us in my opinion...

If Herman won't come, then you almost have to take a chance with ARE or one of the up and coming assistants from a Big 10/Big 12/SEC school...

Herman as HC and Frye as OC is at the top of my personal Christmas list... 

I am with you on Herman. He is top of the list for me. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I have thought all along that Dolson and some other boosters really want ARE,.....BUT it's contingent on building an impressive staff of assistants to surround him. I also think they definitely want Frye in the fold and would be a big piece of the puzzle to compliment ARE. JMO. I checked back in with my old IU room mate who's worked in IU athletics for years. He still says his source thinks it's ARE..... Just passing along what's been shared with me. We will know soon enough how true the rumors are.

This is a big picture question, nothing directed at you.......but,

Whats the difference between making sure ARE has a grade A, top of the line coaching staff to make sure he is successfull that can cover up his potential warts and doing the same for FCTA??  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

This is a big picture question, nothing directed at you.......but,

Whats the difference between making sure ARE has a grade A, top of the line coaching staff to make sure he is successfull that can cover up his potential warts and doing the same for FCTA??  

My answer to that, just off the top of my head, is that ARE and FCTA have different warts.  ARE’s is a lack of experience running a program, while FCTA’s is a lack a skill running a program.  While I see a lot of assumptions here that lack of experience automatically means lack of skill, that is not necessarily the case.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

My answer to that, just off the top of my head, is that ARE and FCTA have different warts.  ARE’s is a lack of experience running a program, while FCTA’s is a lack a skill running a program.  While I see a lot of assumptions here that lack of experience automatically means lack of skill, that is not necessarily the case.

We know ARE has a lack of experience running a program. We don't know if he has a lack of skill for it or not, but given that he has never spent a single minute around a successful college program in his entire life I think it's fair to question if that skill is there. 

• Like 1

Chris on BTB just said he's heard that there have been 4 interviews so far all by zoom. They plan on doing 8 total with more happening today. ARE is out and Fitzgerald is out which goes along with what I've heard. He also said that 3 HC's and 1 coordinator have been interviewed so far. Frye has a lot of support amongst former players. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We know ARE has a lack of experience running a program. We don't know if he has a lack of skill for it or not, but given that he has never spent a single minute around a successful college program in his entire life I think it's fair to question if that skill is there. 

It’s certainly a fair question.

11 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

All about recruiting and what Jimmys and Joes you can get at IU. Only thing ARE would need is a foot in the door. 

It appears ARE is out, though, so not much more of a point to discuss. 

27 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Carey, Frye, Candle, Chryst, Lewis, and Silverfield have gotten or scheduled interviews so far. 

Well this list isn’t exactly what I was hoping.  As someone noted on BTB this could be a sign that the are still going on the cheap for salary, ugh.  Hope that isn’t the case and others pop up or this list is incomplete.