UConn post game thread

Reacher

I think Mgbako needs to be the back up 4 and I would prefer to shorten the bench and have one of Ware or Reneau on the court at all times.  Start them both, bring in Mgbako off the bench for one of them.  I'd start X, Galloway, Cupps/Gunn, Reneau, and Ware. Bench would be whichever of Cupps/Gunn and Mgbako.  Everyone else would play only if multiple core guys are in foul trouble.  I'd also use X off ball more and see if he can stay out of foul trouble and score the ball since we don't have a lot of options scoring- wise from the perimeter.  

• Like 2

I didn't watch the game. Spent a beautiful November afternoon at the park with my grandkids. Kinda followed the score and it seemed we were in the game at least through the first half. I see a lot of emotional reactions and I get it. I've been the same way in the past. I hate the reaction people are having to MM. He's a freshman no matter how highly rated he was. There's a lot of pressure on him and that him and that is probably affecting his performance right now. It's just basketball. Let these young men grow and mature and see where that takes us. I hate the negatively that is directed at our players because we fans are not happy. Blame CMW all you want because this is his team. I will support the kids and hope that they realize their dreams. By the way, it was a great day with the grandkids.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today was my mom's 80th birthday so I wasn't fully watching the game but had it on the background.  I was going to stay off the boards during the game anyway because I knew how negative the board will be.

I don't know if it is my age or what but I just can't take the consent negativity and bickering  that goes on these boards.  Also I don't know if it is my teams not being very good but the last couple of years sports hasn't been as entertaining for me.

I usually am so excited for the college basketball season to start but this year I am having a hard time getting into a lot of the games I have tried to watch.  I think it is coming from my unhappiness with the portal and all the NIL stuff that we here in a daily basis.  I read about the LSU women's team having trouble because of how Reece is acting after all of her NIL money.

• Like 2

I, too, haven't watched the game but wanted see the post-game comments.  From the handful of games I have watched, it sounds like the same failings applied to this one.

At this moment I can just say this:  It's inconceivable to me how we fail to get shooters.  Teams routinely beat us with the 3-pt disparity - too often with shooters from the state of Indiana.

• Like 1

Also we as fans might want to stop worrying about the ranking by a players name instead of how well they play the game. Our coaches need to be better at constructing a roster instead of trying to field an all star team. We need to recruit basketball players first and not who has the most length or athletic ability.

• Like 1

I’ve found these games are much more enjoyable if you cheer with your wallet and head, rather than your heart.  Uconn - 11.5 was a gift.

I was hoping when MR fouled out we’d see Mack at the 4, but instead he brought Walker in, who gave us nothing.  At least try the 3 guard lineup with Mack at the 4.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I, too, haven't watched the game but wanted see the post-game comments.  From the handful of games I have watched, it sounds like the same failings applied to this one.

At this moment I can just say this:  It's inconceivable to me how we fail to get shooters.  Teams routinely beat us with the 3-pt disparity - too often with shooters from the state of Indiana.

The 3 today wasn't the problem since UCONN was only 7-22 from 3

10 minutes ago, 94Bulldog said:

I’ve found these games are much more enjoyable if you cheer with your wallet and head, rather than your heart.  Uconn - 11.5 was a gift.

I was hoping when MR fouled out we’d see Mack at the 4, but instead he brought Walker in, who gave us nothing.  At least try the 3 guard lineup with Mack at the 4.  

it really was a gift.  ugh, it's times like this that i wish i didn't have a hard rule against betting!

2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Six weeks ago we were going to be a solid 10 deep rotation.  Today we are poorly constructed?  How did that happen?  We all agree we desperately needed shooters after last year, but isn’t that what MM and Cupps were supposed to be?  Today I understand what the Duck fans were saying about Ware.  I did however think Gunn logged some very solid defensive minutes and the shots he took were within the flow of the game.  I really do think those will start to fall.

6 weeks ago, it was off season optimism. The returning starting guards were going to play as well or better than they had previously. The returning bench players were going to make a nice jump as sophomores. Added some talent in the transfer portal in Ware and experienced depth in Sparks and Walker. Added a stud freshman in MM. 

Since then, games have been played. The only of those that is that have been shown to be true so far are Reneau being improved and Ware being a talent. Galloway and Johnson are playing worse. The returning bench is barely improved. MM has been terrible. Cupps is not a scorer. Sparks and Walker haven't shown much.