Wright State Post Game Thread

Reacher

3 minutes ago, John S said:

OK. Here’s something positive.  I remember last year’s first few games when we had 15-20 turnovers per game.  That got fixed quickly.  I see great improvement in Malik and he can dominate.  Cupps has high potential imo as PG and reminds me of Hulls.  Ware is impressive and I remember early last season a slow, passionless TJD in some games.   I don’t like Woody experimenting this much in actual games, but have faith he’ll decide on best unit soon and manage players well.  Go Hoosiers.   

Malik did a good job last night of recognizing the double team and passing out of it. He had 5 assists. He and Ware seem to have some chemistry. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, John S said:

I don’t like Woody experimenting this much in actual games, but have faith he’ll decide on best unit soon and manage players well.  Go Hoosiers.   

Woodson’s mass substitutions have been a head scratcher for 3 years…so I’m not entirely confident he’s going to stop doing them. I’m of strong belief that Woodson needs to shrink the lineup and asap. If we have Anthony Walker shooting threes against UConn like he did yesterday (coaches need to give him red light)…it’s going to be a very long day. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DWB said:

With 10 new faces, it essentially is a new rebuild. Only X & Gallo (who weren't big scorers last year) have any meaningful experience. Malik was in foul trouble all year, although I really like how he's started out this year (overall). But other than that, it's a new team.

Patience is a virtue. I don't have any, but that's what they say...

definitely true.  the thing i keep saying though, isn't it pretty much true for most teams these days?  with the transfer portal and leaving early for the NBA, not many teams bring back much of a nucleus right?

• Like 2

Finished the game late last night.....

- A *little* better
- Ware is awesome so far - hopefully he'll be as effective against guys almost his size.
- Hope X is okay

- I can live with over helping, if it's something that's caused by inexperience and will be fixed soon. 
- I can live with MM shot attempts, but he's lost on defense. He had the *will* to defend at the beginning of the game, but not sure why he's hacking at a guy in the paint when he's already double teamed. 

- I don't think i'll ever be able to understand CMW's mass substitution philosophy. Well, I guess, if he's equating its effectiveness by applying it to the rule of what's good for batting averages. 😎 The 2nd string played okay as a unit toight and I appreciated their defensive intensity, but it killed the rhythm of the starters. who were sitting on the bench for like 15 minutes (real time). Every time he does this, it kills momentum in one way or another and most times it doesn't put the bench players in a position to succeed, killing their confidence in its wake. 
- Sparks and Malik really need to clean up their free throws if they are going to be seeing the FT line a lot.
- There's no excuse for our rebounding 3 years in. If we want to have guards get out in transition fine, but our bigs need to box out and get after the boards with more intensity. 

Adam Duritz may predict that it's going to be 'A Long December', but it's way too early to freak out. We'll hopefully get our crap together. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Woodson’s mass substitutions have been a head scratcher for 3 years…so I’m not entirely confident he’s going to stop doing them. I’m of strong belief that Woodson needs to shrink the lineup and asap. If we have Anthony Walker shooting threes against UConn like he did yesterday (coaches need to give him red light)…it’s going to be a very long day. 

totally agree.  it's also part of why i don't think shooting ore 3s is gonna help much.  if we have the wrong guys taking them and guys taking bad ones, we end up 3-16 from there.  

• Like 1

I like Mgbako’s talent and he showed some really good physical ability last night.  However, he’s incredibly casual out there.  He won’t even get in a stance on defense.  

Doesn’t look like he was coached well in high school and he needs a massive adjustment in terms of mindset.   No more fake hustle.  “Im determined to stop my man and I’m in a stance and going all out.”  Unless he does that, he’s going to squander a lot of potential with basketball and money.   He will never be able to say he didn’t get a chance.  

• Like 1

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I like Mgbako’s talent and he showed some really good physical ability last night.  However, he’s incredibly casual out there.  He won’t even get in a stance on defense.  

Doesn’t look like he was coached well in high school and he needs a massive adjustment in terms of mindset.   No more fake hustle.  “Im determined to stop my man and I’m in a stance and going all out.”  Unless he does that, he’s going to squander a lot of potential with basketball and money.   He will never be able to say he didn’t get a chance.  

One three that he gave up in the last 10 min.  He started a very casual trot back in transition and then  realized his man was sprinting to the three point line and by then it's too late with real shooters.  He's going to learn this isn't HS or AAU ball... I hope. 

• Thanks 1

Given what I’ve seen so far against the supreme powerhouse opponents we’ve played on our home floor.  I’ve adjusted my expectations for this season down a couple of notches.

It’s still early. Lots of work can be done. Adjustments can be made, etc. But, if these guys don’t get it together in a hurry, it’s going to be a rough season.

Unless something magical happens between now and Sunday, UConn is going to expose our flaws in an easy dub.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

He didn't do that last year and mainly played 7 guys in the rotation 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

definitely true.  the thing i keep saying though, isn't it pretty much true for most teams these days?  with the transfer portal and leaving early for the NBA, not many teams bring back much of a nucleus right?

And that is why a lot of the games I have watched so far looks totally disjointed.

1 hour ago, DWB said:

With 10 new faces, it essentially is a new rebuild. Only X & Gallo (who weren't big scorers last year) have any meaningful experience. Malik was in foul trouble all year, although I really like how he's started out this year (overall). But other than that, it's a new team.

The 10 new faces argument is a farce created by the media (probably picked up from a coach).  4 of those guys are walk-ons, who will likely never play meaningful minutes. Another is Newton, who has bee injured from Day 1 of practice.  

3 of the remaining 5 'new' faces are experienced college players.  Sparks is former all conference at Ball State,  Walker played in the Final Four last season, and Ware played Power 6 and is projected to be a lottery pick.

Only Mgbako and Cupps are true unknowns.

Kansas isnt bemoaning having to integrate Hunter Dickinson on their team, as a 'new' face.   Instead, they talk about how much better he makes the team.

Sorry for the rant, but the 10 new faces thing has irritated the hell out of me since the first time I heard it.  It's an intentionally misleading excuse.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, DWB said:

I hope Woodson gets it figured out.  The up and down roller coasters is what got Crean fired though.  You have to have program stability.  20-10 should be the floor at Indiana.  With NIL, Big Ten exposure, Big Ten money there really just isn't an excuse to be as wildly inconsistent as we are.  NIL wasn't in play in the past but the inconsistency issue has plagued us since Mike Davis.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

You may be right…but I think that was towards the end of the year. All I know is that he likes the mass subbing, it’s been glaring for some time now. It took us completely out of rhythm last night. 

Right or wrong / love it or hate it, Woodson’s formula seems to be the long game over the course of the season.  He’ll do hockey style in Nov/Dec (maybe trim down rotation for tougher games and the two B1G games), but by January, I’m fairly certain there will be a rotation and no longer a hockey approach.  

If some of these guys don’t play now, there is very little time in January going forward to get them on the court.  So he’s using these games as trial runs - aiming to have a formula for January through March. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

3 of the remaining 5 'new' faces are experienced college players.  Sparks is former all conference at Ball State,  Walker played in the Final Four last season, and Ware played Power 6 and is projected to be a lottery pick.

Only Mgbako and Cupps are true unknowns.

Agree "10 new faces" is somewhat misleading given the walk-ons, but....while Sparks, Ware, and Walker are experienced college players, this is a brand new system to them. they are not experienced in Woody's system, which by my estimation, is significantly different than what they experienced before.

And Sparks didn't play anywhere near the level of competition that he will at IU.

Cupps has embraced the challenge of Woody's system and executed it well for a freshman IMO, Mgbako not yet. Sparks will get there sooner I think, Walker is like Jekel & Hyde to me. Ware is doing well so far. We'll see how it plays out against tougher teams. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DWB said:

Agree "10 new faces" is somewhat misleading given the walk-ons, but....while Sparks, Ware, and Walker are experienced college players, this is a brand new system to them. they are not experienced in Woody's system, which by my estimation, is significantly different than what they experienced before.

And Sparks didn't play anywhere near the level of competition that he will at IU.

Cupps has embraced the challenge of Woody's system and executed it well for a freshman IMO, Mgbako not yet. Sparks will get there sooner I think, Walker is like Jekel & Hyde to me. Ware is doing well so far. We'll see how it plays out against tougher teams. 

With the transfer portal and NIL, today’s college game is different than before. Most teams are in similar situations and have players being integrated into new systems. We’re not at some sort of disadvantage because we have players adjusting to a new system. Quite frankly, this is going to be a perpetual thing we see almost every year. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

Call me Sgt. Shultz ‘I know nothing’

but a couple random thoughts. Coach says he’s here to win championships I doubt getting 20-30 point wins early in the season to please fans is part of his agenda? I think last night was one of those games where everyone (Wright State) played to their potential instead of watching the star get his?

Edited by Drroogh
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

but a couple random thoughts. Coach says he’s here to win championships I doubt getting 20-30 point wins early in the season to please fans is part of his agenda? I think last night was one of those games where everyone (Wright State) played to their potential instead of watching the star get his?

While true, nothing suggests in the first 5 games that this is a championship team or even a tournament team. Quite the opposite in fact. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

my question is why is every small town mid major playing to their potential when playing us?  Or why does at least 1 kid always have a career night against us?  Just some random thoughts i have. 

And i have only got to watch one game.  Wasn't overly impressed without offensive scheme of standing around in the corners or the 3 man weave.  And defensively, we looked terrible.  But i only have 1 game to go on.  Hope to see some of these more meaningful games coming up.

Go Hoosiers.

This may have been mentioned earlier and I apologize if it has, but some of their defensive issues is they can't stay in front of their man. That leads to scrambling defense and late rotations. We need guards who can stay in front of their man. Not much pressure around the perimeter either. Lots of hands down and terrible close outs. We look a step slow when guarding the ball.