IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Would love to see Goode get that extra year.  He’s oozing leadership.   He’s the classic guy where the game gets easier for him as he develops and gets older.  No matter what level you played, just remember how much easier it was as a senior as compared with as a freshman.   If you’re 22-23 years old and you’re playing an 18 year old, that can be huge.  You will also be naturally more confident and assertive.  The difference between 23 and 18 is massive.  

It would be good but I wouldn't count on it. 

• Like 1

Man I can't wait for this season to get going. If the reports coming out are true fast and furious with a dose of methodical if need be. 

Rice, Carlyle,Trey, Mgbako, Ballo, Malik, Tucker, Goode, Leal...not to mention Cupps/Newton if healthy.

We want to go fast we can do it. We want to go methodical we can do it. We want to go space with 1 big 4 outside we can do it....endless opportunities with this crew. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There are teams that were way more extreme in roster turnover than IU was this off season...I might buy the hyperbole talking about Minnesota or Illinois...

But I think it's pretty obvious that we built our team through the prevailing conventional wisdom in roster building...

Kept the kids we wanted to keep

Filled holes rotation holes with high ranking portal kids

Filled backup roles with experienced lower rated kids

Grabbed a highly ranked freshman...

And I believe that will more than likely continue to be the way forward until they straighten out the portal/transfer process, and start straight paying the players...

Moving this over here so we can flush the UConn kid’s thread.

I agree that there are more extreme examples of using the portal than IU. But it seems like IU is trending towards being a fairly portal dependent team. We had 5 transfers vs 1 HS recruit this last cycle, and look to be going towards something similar this next year.

Even this upcoming year we’re probably counting on around half of our minutes coming from transfers, so I don’t agree that this is a conventionally built roster.

14 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Moving this over here so we can flush the UConn kid’s thread.

I agree that there are more extreme examples of using the portal than IU. But it seems like IU is trending towards being a fairly portal dependent team. We had 5 transfers vs 1 HS recruit this last cycle, and look to be going towards something similar this next year.

Even this upcoming year we’re probably counting on around half of our minutes coming from transfers, so I don’t agree that this is a conventionally built roster.

The main thing in the portal is to get players that have two or three years of eligibility left. That way those players got use to the college game already and we get their best years. If all the portal players only have 1 year left then that is where you have trouble 

• Like 1