IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

IF Woodson continues to play 9-10 guys a game I think it's safe to say that the top 10 guys are Rice, Carlyle, Mgbako, Reneau, Ballo/Galloway, Tucker, Leal, Goode, Hatton. I think Hatton's playing time will be dependent on Reneau being able to play the 5 without fouling. Goode and Mgbako will also get time at the 4 because there isn't a true 4 on the bench.

51 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

IF Woodson continues to play 9-10 guys a game I think it's safe to say that the top 10 guys are Rice, Carlyle, Mgbako, Reneau, Ballo/Galloway, Tucker, Leal, Goode, Hatton. I think Hatton's playing time will be dependent on Reneau being able to play the 5 without fouling. Goode and Mgbako will also get time at the 4 because there isn't a true 4 on the bench.

I'd put Cupps ahead of Leal

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Woodson is going to give Leal a shot first

Good for Anthony! He is the upperclassman and I like what he brings to the table. Hope he makes the most of it. Cupps obviously has the starting experience and I thought reports from over the summer were saying he was doing well. Looking forward to the games starting so we can see how this all sorts out.

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Good for Anthony! He is the upperclassman and I like what he brings to the table. Hope he makes the most of it. Cupps obviously has the starting experience and I thought reports from over the summer were saying he was doing well. Looking forward to the games starting so we can see how this all sorts out.

Guys like Cupps and Tucker are going to have to earn playing time which I like. That said there will be opportunities 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I'd put Cupps ahead of Leal

I think it’ll depend on how much each guy improved over the summer and what role needs filled. I thought Leal was significantly better than Cupps last year, but I’d expect a bigger jump from Cupps. Either way, I wouldn’t expect a ton of minutes to be available for either of them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I think it’ll depend on how much each guy improved over the summer and what role needs filled. I thought Leal was significantly better than Cupps last year, but I’d expect a bigger jump from Cupps. Either way, I wouldn’t expect a ton of minutes to be available for either of them.

I hope we don't need minutes from either of them.  I hope they are garbage time only guys off the bench.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2024 at 12:32 PM, IowaHoosierFan said:

This is disagree with.  This might be the biggest complain that hangs around.  Its going to be hard for him to break this habit especially now with as much depth as we have.

I don't mind that wholesale change when we are playing sister's of the poor and up by 25.  Just don't do it against the teams with a pulse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Not good. Has a Mo Creek feel.

I don’t think it’s even remotely close…Creek had two broken knees and an Achilles tear. Correct me if I’m wrong, but everything that’s been reported about Newton is he’s been recovering from complications related to a meniscus tear/surgery. If that’s the case, he should be fine. Let’s hope so.

32 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I don’t think it’s even remotely close…Creek had two broken knees and an Achilles tear. Correct me if I’m wrong, but everything that’s been reported about Newton is he’s been recovering from complications related to a meniscus tear/surgery. If that’s the case, he should be fine. Let’s hope so.

It's actually more complicated than that. He had microfracture surgery to repair significant cartilage damage. Microfracture surgery has had very mixed results. Some NBA players have had it and returned to playing, although most never performed at the same level. Others are on record saying they wish they had never had it due to pain and complications. 

Microfracture surgery, intriguingly, aims to stimulate cartilage growth by creating small fractures in the subchondral bone. The premise behind this technique is that the healing response initiated by these fractures will lead to the formation of new cartilage. Yet, this expectation does present a paradox.

In practice, the "healing" often results in the formation of fibrocartilage, which is different from the original hyaline cartilage in durability and function. Fibrocartilage is more akin to scar tissue than the smooth, resilient cartilage that coats healthy joint surfaces. This outcome raises valid questions about the logic and effectiveness of relying on a bone healing response to repair cartilage. It underscores why microfracture may not always be the optimal approach, particularly for extensive or critical cartilage repair, where restoring the joint's original biomechanical properties is crucial.

This discrepancy between the expected outcome (cartilage regeneration) and the body's natural healing response (bone formation or fibrocartilage development) is one of the reasons why orthopaedic surgeons are exploring and advocating for more advanced and targeted treatments for cartilage repair.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Not saying the exact injuries but the complication side of it.  He has missed 2.5 years at this point and still not ready to go.  At a certain point you start to wonder if he is going to be able to come back and if he can, has the injury slowed him down to the point where his ability to contribute on a high end D1 team won't be there anymore.