IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Every year us fans think our team has a lot of depth but it usually doesn't materialize.

Usually when people here talk about all the depth we have they point to guys like Banks and Gunn (who are coming off years where they were buried deep on the bench), or are hyping up unheralded freshmen they are convinced are vastly underrated.  This year our depth is 6 guys who were every day power conference starters (not counting Cupps in that 6), plus Goode who played 20 a game for a top 10 team and an all-American freshman. That's 7 guys who have proven they can play big minutes at the highest level plus a highly regarded freshman. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

Usually when people here talk about all the depth we have they point to guys like Banks and Gunn (who are coming off years where they were buried deep on the bench), or are hyping up unheralded freshmen they are convinced are vastly underrated.  This year our depth is 6 guys who were every day power conference starters (not counting Cupps in that 6), plus Goode who played 20 a game for a top 10 team and an all-American freshman. That's 7 guys who have proven they can play big minutes at the highest level plus a highly regarded freshman. 

That's the main advantage of the portal. Coaches can get proven talent and not go through the growing pains of untested freshmen.

On 8/27/2024 at 7:12 AM, cthomas said:

That's the main advantage of the portal. Coaches can get proven talent and not go through the growing pains of untested freshmen.

I want add that Cupps getting that experience last year will help depth this year. He's going to be able to come in and contribute when needed this season. It won't be a lot, but he will be capable this season.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, PartyInTheVillas said:

I want add that Cupps getting that experience last year will help depth this year. He's going to be able to come in and contribute when needed this season. It won't be a lot, but he will be capable this season.

Welcome to posting on HSN! Agree regarding Cupps. Just expect sporadic minutes from him this year. woody says he has been impressed by Cupps. I think he will be even more of a factor as an upperclassman.

1 hour ago, PartyInTheVillas said:

Welcome,

Also, having more capable ball handlers around him would alleviate some pressure.

I think Cupps get about 10-15 mpg

Edited by ledies22

16 hours ago, PartyInTheVillas said:

Welcome to the forum...

I think Cupps might surprise us a bit this year. Every player who has talked about the summer practices seem to mention his name, particularly when it comes to his shooting...

A lot of kids think they put in the work...From all we've heard/read about him, Cupps undoubtedly does...

• Like 3

17 hours ago, PartyInTheVillas said:

It will be interesting with Cupps. He was basically recruited over, which was a necessity for the team. But Rice and Cupps will both be sophomores. Rice isn't on any draft boards, so unless he has a blowout season, he'll be at IU at least two years. I'm sure Cupps didn't come to IU to be a backup until his senior year. 

Last year Cupps didn't show anything that was noted in his scouting report from high school, other than showing poise. He had a reputation for court vision and a high bball IQ, but most of the time last year he'd bring the ball up, give it up in the front court and run away from the ball. His shot selection was suspect and his form was not good (drifting on this shot). He played 22 mpg at point guard with Ware and Reneau, two excellent post scorers, and averaged 1 assist per game. I realize he was a freshman, but that's not good. 

He had 8 B1G games with zero assists and 9 B1G games with zero points (he had 8 more with 2 points). I'd say it's equally likely that he transfers after this season as it is that he becomes a major contributor at IU in the future. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I'd say it's equally likely that he transfers after this season as it is that he becomes a major contributor at IU in the future. 

I would guess he's self-aware enough to understand the NBA is not in his future.  At that point, it becomes a matter of what he deems most important.  

Is playing 30 minutes a game at a school with just an outside shot at the tourney and limited NIL more appealing than being a key bench contributor at a school that should be able to consistently make the tourney and that has one of the largest NIL war chests in the country?

Only Gabe can answer that, but 30 minutes a game isnt always the most important factor for the player to consider.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

I had a dream last night, that we were playing YMCA... I mean UCLA. It was hilarious because in my dream their tallest player was like 4'6", playing the 5. 

I was screaming, in my dream, WHY do you let him dribble BETWEEN your legs? JUST STOP IT !!!.. KNEES TOGETHER!!!

I'm not sure if I need to decrease or increase my Delta 8 sleep supplement, or how the game ended. It was an endless circle of midgets dribbling between Hoosier legs. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I would guess he's self-aware enough to understand the NBA is not in his future.  At that point, it becomes a matter of what he deems most important.  

Is playing 30 minutes a game at a school with just an outside shot at the tourney and limited NIL more appealing than being a key bench contributor at a school that should be able to consistently make the tourney and that has one of the largest NIL war chests in the country?

Only Gabe can answer that, but 30 minutes a game isnt always the most important factor for the player to consider.

True, it depends on what he wants. But he had offers from MI, OSU, Dayton, Cinci, etc. and had a sizable social media following before coming to IU. If he had an opportunity for more playing time at one of those schools, he doesn't really need IU NIL money. Playing 8-12 mpg at IU won't really help his NIL value. I definitely don't see him accepting an Anthony Leal role.

20 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

True, it depends on what he wants. But he had offers from MI, OSU, Dayton, Cinci, etc. and had a sizable social media following before coming to IU. If he had an opportunity for more playing time at one of those schools, he doesn't really need IU NIL money. Playing 8-12 mpg at IU won't really help his NIL value. I definitely don't see him accepting an Anthony Leal role.

As you just pointed out, he got plenty of run last year. There's no obvious backup point guard on this team, so those minutes are his for the taking. I don't know if he's good enough to take them or not, but if he's not, then no school with NIL money is going to pay him. You don't spend your money on a guy who isn't good enough to be our backup point guard.

Now, would he rather go to Dayton and start or play 15 minutes for us, I don't know. If he's at least that good, he will have options. But, no one's offering Anthony Leal money to come in as a transfer. If Cupps is relegated to a Leal role, then no one is going to cough up the cash to get him as a transfer.

15 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

As you just pointed out, he got plenty of run last year. There's no obvious backup point guard on this team, so those minutes are his for the taking. I don't know if he's good enough to take them or not, but if he's not, then no school with NIL money is going to pay him. You don't spend your money on a guy who isn't good enough to be our backup point guard.

Now, would he rather go to Dayton and start or play 15 minutes for us, I don't know. If he's at least that good, he will have options. But, no one's offering Anthony Leal money to come in as a transfer. If Cupps is relegated to a Leal role, then no one is going to cough up the cash to get him as a transfer.

Idk if there’s that many minutes available to him this year barring injuries. I could see him getting around 10 mpg early in the year. But both Rice and Galloway were able to play 35 mpg in conference last year, so there’s not that big of a need for backup guard minutes with them plus Carlyle. If Rice plays 30-35 mpg and Galloway and Carlyle each play 20-25 mpg, there’s essentially no other minutes at either guard spot.

54 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I wasn't referring to him getting NIL cash from another school. He's been building his social media brand for years with "The Breakfast Club" thing. I would think that he could monetize that more if he was playing 30 mpg somewhere, but he'd also lose the big IU alumni network. But how much will he generate in sales if he isn't playing much?

The NIL Store gave Cupps the 2024 Most Innovative Design Campaign award.

"Gabe Cupps raised the bar for all athletes when he worked with the NIL Store team to create the “Breakfast Club” collection, centered around his daily habit of waking up at the crack of dawn to get in the gym," the NIL Store website wrote. "Cupps ideated multiple pieces of merchandise and even took his own photoshoot at the local Waffle House.

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

IMO he’s a much better guard than Leal, and could be our starting point guard in his junior or senior season, if he continues to improve. The question is, is he willing to stay around and wait for that opportunity, because barring injuries, he’s not going to see the floor much this year. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Newton as our 4th option, if he’s truly healthy.

On 8/26/2024 at 5:26 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

Illinois fans appear to be interested in Miami for some reason. Can't blame them if they live in Champaign. 

image.png.a5257c9c1743b2522d3ad90a39f7e0f9.png

What's this say about the state of our nation when this many states follow UK because if they are UK fans, you know they're not making good decisions in life

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4