IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

So the sky is falling if they don't perform like a final four contender in the first exhibition?

A little hyperbole there, but I think it's OK to give these kids a few games to learn to play together.  Talent is one thing, but there are a LOT of new faces on this team and no, not every team in the country has this many new pieces to put together.  The best teams at Kentucky had a few hiccups especially early in the season when they were unfamiliar with each other.  I expect this team to figure it out and be very good, but it may not all come together the first 2-3 games.  That may be true of a lot of teams without most of their scoring returning, but the experienced teams who have most of their rotation players back will have an early advantage, which should shrink as players on other teams get familiar with each other.

Can we at least wait until December to have a collective meltdown over a bad game? No?  Well, I had to ask anyway.  I may have to skip this forum for the first few games of the upcoming season.  Hope not, but an early stumble would not shock me.

Maybe we should just go ahead start the “Fire Mike Woodson” thread now….why wait for the season to start?

Only kidding 

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Everybody can draw their line in the sand to what constitutes success and what doesn't. But I agree with @IowaHoosierFan that IF we under-perform when all is said and done, the excuse of 'new players playing together' will not fly in my book because we will have a lot of new players the year after and likely the year after that. It is simply how Woodson has chosen to build his teams. He needs to show success within the parameters he set for himself. 

The team may take a while to mesh (which is expected), but by the start of Big Ten play we should be a force to be reckoned with. The talent is too good to be a middle of the pack team. 

I think we can all agree on “when all is said and done”, but give him and the team a chance, because they have the potential to be really good.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Everybody can draw their line in the sand to what constitutes success and what doesn't. But I agree with @IowaHoosierFan that IF we under-perform when all is said and done, the excuse of 'new players playing together' will not fly in my book because we will have a lot of new players the year after and likely the year after that. It is simply how Woodson has chosen to build his teams. He needs to show success within the parameters he set for himself. 

The team may take a while to mesh (which is expected), but by the start of Big Ten play we should be a force to be reckoned with. The talent is too good to be a middle of the pack team. 

Excuses vs reasons. 

Being one of the few CMW backers remaining, I cant think of an excuse for CMW to keep his job with a sub par, or even an average on-the-bubble season. Even if it is an injury prone season, I would probably like to see a new face igniting the fanbase again. But there would be a plethora of reasons for an underperforming season.

I think he was stating a reason rather than excuse. 

I think part of the issue is so many people already have their trigger finger already on the Fire CMW button. He is 1 bad tv timeout stretch away from the "See Yuh Later" machines firing up. 

• Like 3

I think the majority of us here all feel this needs to be a successful season. 

Competing for the conference title, decent tournament showing etc.

I think the deviation comes in how quickly we expect it to come together.

Some may expect quicker results while others anticipate a learning curve.

In the end, I think we all have high hopes and expectations for the final product. 

But how much patience will we need, or have, early in the season?

How many "secret scrimmages" can a team have. More than 1? Need to do as many of those that are allowed to get a real feel for how well the guys play together, and Woodson's "new" strategies on O & D. (if there are any)

Playing against yourselves only goes so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

Excuses vs reasons. 

Being one of the few CMW backers remaining, I cant think of an excuse for CMW to keep his job with a sub par, or even an average on-the-bubble season. Even if it is an injury prone season, I would probably like to see a new face igniting the fanbase again. But there would be a plethora of reasons for an underperforming season.

I think part of the issue is so many people already have their trigger finger already on the Fire CMW button. He is 1 bad tv timeout stretch away from the "See Yuh Later" machines firing up. 

I will give him until the end of the season.  I might be more vocal if the wheels fall off and have no chance by February or something but he shows he can win games late in the season.  So i will give him that.  I am not on the fire him yesterday bandwagon.  I am also not on the he deserves more time because he is IU royalty from days long past.  His resume as a college coach is what is it, and its mediocre.  But he has another year and all the talent recruiting and money could buy.  He is by all means a good person who is good for young men.  But if we can't move the needle this year, i am not sure it will ever move and i will be prepared to move forward as you mentioned.

Honestly, i hope we win a national title. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Maybe we should just go ahead start the “Fire Mike Woodson” thread now….why wait for the season to start?

Only kidding 

I can do that if you wish.  I bet it gets more posts than any other thread until the season starts lol.  Just kidding, i think lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I absolutely agree with this.  I just hate to see fans get so down after an early underperformance, which, frankly, is likely in the first few games.  By the conference season, this should be a very good IU team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I absolutely agree with this.  I just hate to see fans get so down after an early underperformance, which, frankly, is likely in the first few games.  By the conference season, this should be a very good IU team.

Battle for Atlantis should be a really good early measuring stick. AZ and Gonzaga should be the only teams that really challenge the Hoosiers. If they lose to Davidson, LVille, WVU, OK or Providence.....

No doubt there is a bunch of talent on this year's team. What I will be watching (in the first few games) is Woodson actually changes his coaching style/tactics compared to last year.

Hockey line substitutions, same boring offense, clog up the middle with 2 bigs, same starting 5 no matter who outplays a starter, guys standing still in a corner, etc. 

That's what I'll base my own "keep him / fire him" decision.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2024 at 9:02 AM, tdhoosier said:

I agree with this...I really don't think we'll take all that much time to mesh...I expect us to be good from the beginning...

I've always thought talent wins, but experienced talent wins big...Last year we had the talent, we just didn't have the experience...And that's not an excuse, it's a reason...It's the truth...

21 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Excuses vs reasons. 

I agree with this as well...Especially the last sentence...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with this...I really don't think we'll take all that much time to mesh...I expect us to be good from the beginning...

I've always thought talent wins, but experienced talent wins big...Last year we had the talent, we just didn't have the experience...And that's not an excuse, it's a reason...It's the truth...

I agree with this as well...Especially the last sentence...

We didn't have the talent last year.

When the majority of our season cionsisted of having a backcourt of Gallo, Leal, Cupps and Gunn..... that's not a very talented backcourt overall.

We had some good players, but i think the overall talent level on that team was overrated. 

This year however, we are absolutely talented. Should be fun!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

We didn't have the talent last year.

When the majority of our season cionsisted of having a backcourt of Gallo, Leal, Cupps and Gunn..... that's not a very talented backcourt overall.

We had some good players, but i think the overall talent level on that team was overrated. 

This year however, we are absolutely talented. Should be fun!

We didn't have the talent/experience mix that we needed to compete for a Big 10 title, that's for certain...But our frontcourt was very talented...One of the best in the Big 10 for 2 sophs and a freshman...

Our backcourt was definitely a step behind, but we had one kid playing out of position through necessity, and one who I think has talent but again, was a freshman...

Water under the bridge though

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

if you were blindly told on the roster we had:

1. A 2x all pac12 first team player (and all defensive team too)
2. A Pac12 freshman of the year PG
3. A Big Ten freshman of the year with NBA talent who can score at all 3 levels
4. A junior who averaged 15 and 6 their previous year
5. A 5th year vet/leader/glue-guy who logged just under 3,000 minutes and 740 points in his career
6. A senior year bench player that made 61 3-pointers the previous season

....and I haven't even gotten to Carlyle.

I honestly think one would say: 'that looks like a Final 4 caliber roster that should win the conference' 

Expectations are high and rightfully so. Yeah...mesh, smesh. It won't take long. Or at least it shouldn't take long.

It's all in Woody's hands now. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

if you were blindly told on the roster we had:

1. A 2x all pac12 first team player (and all defensive team too)
2. A Pac12 freshman of the year PG
3. A Big Ten freshman of the year with NBA talent who can score at all 3 levels
4. A junior who averaged 15 and 6 their previous year
5. A 5th year vet/leader/glue-guy who logged just under 3,000 minutes and 740 points in his career
6. A senior year bench player that made 61 3-pointers the previous season

....and I haven't even gotten to Carlyle.

I honestly think one would say: 'that looks like a Final 4 caliber roster that should win the conference' 

Expectations are high and rightfully so. Yeah...mesh, smesh. It won't take long. Or at least it shouldn't take long.

Even more so when everyone keeps leaving McAA Bryson as an afterthought!🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Which is where I think a lot of people underrate us...

Read this today, and I couldn't agree more...

Mike Woodson is 60-43 and 31-29 in the Big 10 over his 3 years...It takes time...I know some of y'all are impatient...

5 years ago, would anybody have Dan Hurley at the top of the college coaching profession? Top 10? Top 20?

Good things come to those who wait :) 

• Like 4