IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Don't forget the shot clock going from 45,40,35,30 

I don’t personally think I would compare changes to on court rules (shot clock, 3 point line, etc) as being as important to the conversation as things that have changed within the landscape of college basketball and how quick you can win, and also how we look at what success is.

NIL and the portal have probably changed how quickly you can expect a coach to succeed more than anything. It’s an incredibly key context piece in terms of roster construction. Look at Crean’s first three years - he wouldn’t have made it to Year 4 if we had NIL and the portal back then and those were his results.

The field expanding from 32 to 64 to 68 is important in terms of looking at tournament success.

And then of course the context of the program matters when a coach takes over.

If we want to have a conversation, which I think is worthwhile, about how patient or impatient our fan base is with historical coaches being the examples, then let’s have the conversation in good faith with all the context. The conversation with Woody certainly includes all the context. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t personally think I would compare changes to on court rules (shot clock, 3 point line, etc) as being as important to the conversation as things that have changed within the landscape of college basketball and how quick you can win, and also how we look at what success is.

NIL and the portal have probably changed how quickly you can expect a coach to succeed more than anything. It’s an incredibly key context piece in terms of roster construction. Look at Crean’s first three years - he wouldn’t have made it to Year 4 if we had NIL and the portal back then and those were his results.

The field expanding from 32 to 64 to 68 is important in terms of looking at tournament success.

And then of course the context of the program matters when a coach takes over.

If we want to have a conversation, which I think is worthwhile, about how patient or impatient our fan base is with historical coaches being the examples, then let’s have the conversation in good faith with all the context. The conversation with Woody certainly includes all the context. 

All I was saying if coach K today coached IU and had the same record he did at Duke in his first 4 years he would have been ran out of town

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

All I was saying if coach K today coached IU and had the same record he did at Duke in his first 4 years he would have been ran out of town

Different all around game today that it was when Coach K was in his 4th year at Duke. NIL. Transfer Portal. All different types of media and forms off communication. All should make it much easier than plucking the feather of each chicken by hand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don’t agree. We gave Crean a 4th year.

K would have made the tournament in Year 1 in an expanded field. He had really promising guys coming back in Year 4.

I think fans that are upset are a lot more capable of looking at the context than you’re giving credit for. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

Different all around game today that it was when Coach K was in his 4th year at Duke. NIL. Transfer Portal. All different types of media and forms off communication. All should make it much easier than plucking the feather of each chicken by hand.

is it easier though? There is an argument that it is harder today. NIL, and the transfer market levels the playing field no? Yes it is easier to turn around in a year, but it is just as easy to go the other direction with the portal. the street goes both ways.

Ultimately the coach is judged based on results... record and tournament. It doesn't need to get any more complicated than that.

Would have IU fans ran said coach out of town based on results?

52 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Blaming the fans is madness.  Who have the fans fired?  Who did IU fire that proved the fans wrong?

I am not talking about some imbecile on Twitter but the overall fan base.  You can cherry pick idiots and morons in every fan base so that’s a futile effort.

The IU fan base is more principled, on and off the court, than other fan bases.  It’s part of the culture we all grew up in.  We can self examine in a way that eludes other fan bases.  

Ultimately the fan base will demand accountability.   Any coach who is afraid of that doesn’t belong here.   The one thing you can never do here is be wrong about something the fans were right about all along.  If you are the smartest man in the room, you damn well better be right.   

I think you're off base here. there is literally a fire coach Woodson thread on here. This is not some "imbecile" on twitter. Who pays for the firing of coaches? Its the boosters. Why do the boosters do that? because they are fans.

No one is saying it is the fault and only the fault of the fans, but to act like they don't have anything to do with it is madness.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I think you're off base here. there is literally a fire coach Woodson thread on here. This is not some "imbecile" on twitter. Who pays for the firing of coaches? Its the boosters. Why do the boosters do that? because they are fans.

No one is saying it is the fault and only the fault of the fans, but to act like they don't have anything to do with it is madness.

Ultimately he will be judged on his performance.  Accountability is a good thing in all professions.   Any criticism or praise that he gets will be based on how he performs.  Criticism here is hardly unwarranted.  There are a lot of issues.  If he performs well, I assure you that he will do well on accountability.   As for comparing him with the likes of K, that’s not a good analogy at many levels.   There is a lot that goes into a program’s trajectory.  K and Woody are in two entirely different circumstances.  It is up to Woody to correct the course.  He will get his shot between now and next year.  He either will do it or he won’t.   The outcome is in his hands’ not the fans.   The fans will merely hold his feet to the fire.  And they haven’t been wrong on anybody yet.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Ultimately he will be judged on his performance.  Accountability is a good thing in all professions.   Any criticism or praise that he gets will be based on how he performs.  Criticism here is hardly unwarranted.  There are a lot of issues.  If he performs well, I assure you that he will do well on accountability.   As for comparing him with the likes of K, that’s not a good analogy at many levels.   There is a lot that goes into a program’s trajectory.  K and Woody are in two entirely different circumstances.  It is up to Woody to correct the course.  He will get his shot between now and next year.  He either will do it or he won’t.   The outcome is in his hands’ not the fans.   The fans will merely hold his feet to the fire.  And they haven’t been wrong on anybody yet.   

You're right comparing stuff is stupid. ill drop it. 

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It’s honestly a simple adjustment that needs to be made to produce better results for the remainder of the year. 

Yup, super easy adjustment that has the potential to take our perimeter play from a net negative to maybe at least neutral, while not really taking anything away from the advantage our bigs have because everyone would have more space. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

It’s honestly a simple adjustment that needs to be made to produce better results for the remainder of the year. 

The following was from the end of year one. It raises so many questions as to what they are doing now. 

We tried to run a lot of pick-and-rolls (earlier in the season),” Woodson said, “but X wasn’t there yet. X has grown so much that it’s allowed me to play what I came here to play on offense.”

Johnson’s improved performances have been the result. But the cause traces back in part to a meeting Jackson-Davis initiated with his coach weeks ago. Woodson maintains an open-door policy with his players, and when Jackson-Davis came to him asking for a renewed emphasis on the pick-and-roll offense, heavily featuring him alongside Johnson, Woodson listened.

We struggled with the pick-and-roll early on in the season,” Woodson said. “I just kept piecing it in here and there, here and there. And now X, he’s grown. He’s figured it out. … He knows when he’s got it, he knows when he doesn’t have it, and he knows when the lob or the pocket pass is there, the throwback.

“All of that takes time.”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The following was from the end of year one. It raises so many questions as to what they are doing now. 

We tried to run a lot of pick-and-rolls (earlier in the season),” Woodson said, “but X wasn’t there yet. X has grown so much that it’s allowed me to play what I came here to play on offense.”

Johnson’s improved performances have been the result. But the cause traces back in part to a meeting Jackson-Davis initiated with his coach weeks ago. Woodson maintains an open-door policy with his players, and when Jackson-Davis came to him asking for a renewed emphasis on the pick-and-roll offense, heavily featuring him alongside Johnson, Woodson listened.

We struggled with the pick-and-roll early on in the season,” Woodson said. “I just kept piecing it in here and there, here and there. And now X, he’s grown. He’s figured it out. … He knows when he’s got it, he knows when he doesn’t have it, and he knows when the lob or the pocket pass is there, the throwback.

“All of that takes time.”

It seems a lot of the good things to happen the last two years were the result of TJD conversations. Phenomenal young man, phenomenal player. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

That's a very good sign. Hoping we see more of that lineup. Feels like those 4 with one of Ware/Reneau has been really strong. 

Walker makes some boneheaded plays, but I think we are better with him in the game. He’s a good cutter, pretty good and versatile defender, good rebounder… lots of things we don’t do well as a team that he does well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Should I read into that meaning Ware may be out for a while

That’s not my take away since they thought Ware might play against Illinois, but it’s certainly possible.

I’m hoping it means we see 5-10 minutes per half of a three guard lineup, and we can grow that amount if it’s working. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1