IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

They've lost their composure. Panic has set in and not one player has enough skill or leadership ability to get them through it. Apparently, the coaches can't either.

All season IU has looked lost on defense. Leaving shooters as if by design. Rebounding seems optional most games. Don't understand how to get a good shot and frankly wouldn't hit one if they got one.

I'd suggest simplify the game plan. Slow it down and focus on defense and rebounding. Play up and funnel everything to the 7'0 center. Make every game low scoring. ID the four guys you want to shoot the ball and where they can shoot it. Everyone else plays D, rebounds, passes and sets picks. If not, take a seat. The other option, start playing for next season, focus on MR, Ware and MM and hope one comes back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

What if Ware us done for the season and rests/preps for the draft?

That wasn't the typical boot we see our guys wear.  Granted he is is 7'.  Maybe it was the only one that fit.  

This concern has crossed my mind. It wouldn’t be the most shocking thing to see guys shut it down and worry about their future once the season is out of reach. We’ve seen it before.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I believe this is all the worst since Crean’s second season. And sans Crean’s first two seasons, the worst since before Bob Knight was coach.

The product on the floor sucks. The team is dirty. This all sucks. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Kdug said:

I really hope he doesn’t. Feels like he’s starting to grow into the scorer role. The portal makes it so hard to know what to expect year to year

oh i agree.  i just think he came in thinking one and done and told that was the goal and he isn't playing well enough.  so he either tries to go and hope someone takes him on potential or likely blame the coaches/system and try it elsewhere.  just my opinion and definitely hope i'm wrong.   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

What if Ware is done for the season and rests/preps for the draft?

That wasn't the typical boot we see our guys wear.  Granted he is is 7'.  Maybe it was the only one that fit.  

man, i'll never stop watching, but that would make it even less fun and exciting!  ugh.  

55 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

What if Ware is done for the season and rests/preps for the draft?

50 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This concern has crossed my mind. It wouldn’t be the most shocking thing to see guys shut it down and worry about their future once the season is out of reach. We’ve seen it before.

So it’s not just me who had this thought?

• Like 1

I think it's a little early in the season for a guy like Ware to think about shutting it down. 

He would slide down draft boards, and as crazy and unrealistic as it sounds, there still is a path to making the tournament. 

Mid-to-late February maybe, but too early at this point. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Does the staff not even look at data at all?

Either lazy or stupid.  Or as someone mentioned in the comments.  Must be a very serious promise made to NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVE EVE EVER, play Mbako at the 4.  News flash.  He can't and will never ever ever ever ever play the 3 at the next level either.  He can't guard anyone.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I believe this is all the worst since Crean’s second season. And sans Crean’s first two seasons, the worst since before Bob Knight was coach.

The product on the floor sucks. The team is dirty. This all sucks. 

I don't think we're dirty - I think we're just dumb. Gunn wasn't trying to hurt that guy. He didn't swing with any real force. The guy was f'ing with him, trying to get Gunn to do something stupid, and Gunn complied. X's I guess was dirty, but he thought he was doing the same thing the UW kid was doing - he was trying to goad their guy into reacting. He just wasn't smart enough to do it in a way that wouldn't get him in trouble.

5 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't think we're dirty - I think we're just dumb. Gunn wasn't trying to hurt that guy. He didn't swing with any real force. The guy was f'ing with him, trying to get Gunn to do something stupid, and Gunn complied. X's I guess was dirty, but he thought he was doing the same thing the UW kid was doing - he was trying to goad their guy into reacting. He just wasn't smart enough to do it in a way that wouldn't get him in trouble.

I guess we can argue the semantics of dirty, but the fact is we’ve had three flagrant and two ejections the last four games.

I am confident this board would loudly proclaim any other program dirty if that happened. 

35 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Does the staff not even look at data at all?

I'm not convinced they do. They would say they do if someone asked, but I'm not sure they care enough to try and understand any of it. If they did, they would realize we take too many shots just inside the arc and hit a low percentage of them, and would then address it by telling these guys to stop taking those shots. But they don't. Woodson is stuck in 1980 where 3's didn't exist and efficiency wasn't a thing yet. 

Edited by TheWatShot

Not to diminish the coaching staff's responsibility for where things are but a huge part of this team's problem is the leadership within the players. IMO TJD, Race, and Kopp were all strong leaders and were constantly picking guys up or getting them focused in games. How many time did we witness Trayce getting on X for careless or bonehead plays?

Who are the leaders on the team now? The expectation is that X is one of those if not the main one. Are we surprised with Gunn's elbow given who is "setting the tone" on the court?

I so wanted X to have matured with his extended time off last year but that didn't happen. 

• Like 2