IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

3 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Good news…we’re up to 156th in the nation on 3 pt shooting at 34%. The bad news is we’re #350 out of 351 on shots attempted per game at 14.3 - classic “glass half full”.

If you look at recent games, we’re shooting 16.8 threes a game since the Auburn game. I’d like for that to be at 20, and preferably even higher, but at least that’s not lowest in the country. It’s a small sample so we’ll see if it continues, but hopefully it’s a trend.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Excellent article on XJ per @The Daily Hoosier

The kid's been through a lot...Nothing but respect for him...

He’s frustrating to watch sometimes, but I love his competitive spirit and attitude. How about him laughing off that FT he air balled the other night, and then making the second shot…most players would have missed both shots.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Well Nuts!  This didn't age well.  :coffee:

I respect the fact he's hung in there through injuries... It had to be tough on him...

I don't respect the dirty play at all... He f'ed up... It was senseless and stupid... And I'm sure Coach Woodson will be saying the same thing to him...

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I like X.  He has to sit a game though.  If that had been Allen at Duke, Davidson at Wisconsin, or Mulcahy from Rutgers, I'd be all over them as being dirty and screaming their coach needed to sit them to send a message.  I have to be consistent.  Woody needs to sit X.  

At a minimum he needs to sit. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I respect the fact he's hung in there through injuries... It had to be tough on him...

I don't respect the dirty play at all... He f'ed up... It was senseless and stupid... And I'm sure Coach Woodson will be saying the same thing to him...

IUFLA,.... you and I always appear to be on the same page, viewing things very similarly. I'm purposely leaving Coach Woodson out of this equation/discussion because my post is directed specifically towards the entire IU roster. 

This about the same exact time last season that TJD said "enough is enough", (I believe, had a players only meeting), got tougher, became a more vocal leader, took the team on his back and the entire team responded.

Do we have anyone that can step up and make an impact even half way close to what TJD did? We desperately need something from someone who is well respect and has great leadership qualities. This season is definitely not over, but something has to change from the player performance aspect. I really think a players only team meeting needs to happen to help plug the hole in this ship....

The thing is,....is there A player, ANY current player on the bench who cares enough about the state of this program to want to right this ship and make a change? This is what we desperately need and fast.

I've enjoyed teaching HS for 29 years and loved coaching for 20. Sometimes, students/players are just tired of listening to you at times. They also need motivation and direction from their peers.  It starts with well respected, successful and motivated students/players who won't accept failure. JMHO

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

IUFLA,.... you and I always appear to be on the same page, viewing things very similarly. I'm purposely leaving Coach Woodson out of this equation/discussion because my post is directed specifically towards the entire IU roster. 

This about the same exact time last season that TJD said "enough is enough", (I believe, had a players only meeting), got tougher, became a more vocal leader, took the team on his back and the entire team responded.

Do we have anyone that can step up and make an impact even half way close to what TJD did? We desperately need something from someone who is well respect and has great leadership qualities. This season is definitely not over, but something has to change from the player performance aspect. I really think a players only team meeting needs to happen to help plug the hole in this ship....

The thing is,....is there A player, ANY current player on the bench who cares enough about the state of this program to want to right this ship and make a change? This is what we desperately need and fast.

I've enjoyed teaching HS for 29 years and loved coaching for 20. Sometimes, students/players are just tired of listening to you at times. They also need motivation and direction from their peers.  It starts with well respected, successful and motivated students/players who won't accept failure. JMHO

Woody said it in his post game... All 3 seniors who play a lot (Walker, Galloway, and XJ... He singled out Leal for praise) need to start holding feet to the fire...

Starting with their own...

Christ, Mike Woodson could probably hit 50% of his free throws today...

And Galloway couldn't have been more open on his 4 3 point attempts... If you have shooting issues, you don't fix them within a game... You fix them by putting in more practice on your own..

So, yeah, I'm in total agreement... 

Indiana, or any other college team that I can think of, has never had a championship team that didn't have great players leadership...

RMK knew that as great of a coach as he was, without leadership on the floor, we weren't going to be successful... 

9 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Does Woodson need a TJD like player every year (plus a JHS, an elite shooter he didn’t use enough in Kopp, and a really steady vet like Race) just to do what we did last year?

I mean it’s year three, and we keep hearing about the new faces, what does it say about Woodson if they already are tuning him out.

I get what you’re saying about the players having ownership, but doesn’t the coach have ownership. Woodson knows basketball but he isn’t taking ownership of this program. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Woody said it in his post game... All 3 seniors who play a lot (Walker, Galloway, and XJ... He singled out Leal for praise) need to start holding feet to the fire...

I think a leader throwing players under the bus while refusing to answer questions about his own performance is incredibly weak.

Why would the players own it if their own coach won’t?

• Like 2

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Does Woodson need a TJD like player every year (plus a JHS, an elite shooter he didn’t use enough in Kopp, and a really steady vet like Race) just to do what we did last year?

I mean it’s year three, and we keep hearing about the new faces, what does it say about Woodson if they already are tuning him out.

I get what you’re saying about the players having ownership, but doesn’t the coach have ownership. Woodson knows basketball but he isn’t taking ownership of this program. 

I just want a player, any position with the smarts, heart and motivation to not let your team down. 

Does anyone really know what goes on behind the scenes? What do all the assistant coaches think of this team, or of Coach Woodson? Is there actual disconnect with the players and coaches or even between players? I don't know.

I mean, TJD and JHS both credited Coach Woodson for his influence and player development on them.  If there is ongoing negativity, disagreement or disconnect from just one of the above, then that is why we aren't getting better right now. JMO

• Like 1

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

I just want a player, any position with the smarts, heart and motivation to not let your team down. 

Does anyone really know what goes on behind the scenes? What do all the assistant coaches think of this team, or of Coach Woodson? Is there actual disconnect with the players and coaches or even between players? I don't know.

I mean, TJD and JHS both credited Coach Woodson for his influence and player development on them.  If there is ongoing negativity, disagreement or disconnect from just one of the above, then that is why we aren't getting better right now. JMO

Yes I get what you're saying, but again, if having the ingredients we did last year and what was supposedly such a good job from Woodson, resulted in what it resulted in as the ceiling then what does that tell us?

Having players that special that were that in tune with their coach should have resulted in more, and a down year shouldn't be this down. We had a generational player in TJD, we had a lottery pick point guard, we had two more guys playing pro ball with a ton of experience and skillset (although criminally underutilized in the case of Kopp).... and we got blown out in round 2 and didn't compete for a conference title? And that's when we do have all the ingredients?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think a leader throwing players under the bus while refusing to answer questions about his own performance is incredibly weak.

Why would the players own it if their own coach won’t?

He's said many times that it's up to him to get his team to play better... I'd say that's ownership...

But that's hard to do without the people who're actually performing accepting and fulfilling their responsibilities... 

I heard RMK call out his team's on the floor leadership a time or two... You can't have a good team without players who are willing to lead and take ownership themselves...and that starts with their own performance...hard to lead anyone when you're playing as poorly as XJ, Walker, and Galloway did last night...XJ's nut grab shows how little he regards the responsibility he's taken on as a captain...

As I said Coach Woodson isn't the one who missed the free throws or the open 3s... Woodson's job is to put kids in a position to succeed...whether they do or not is up to the kids themselves...

You can lead a horse to water... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm tired of seeing references on social media about how 'young' IU is.

- Johnson, Galloway, Walker, and Leal are Seniors or even Super-Seniors.

- Sparks is a Junior and an all-conference performer at his previous school.

- Reneau, Banks, and Gunn are midway through their Sophomore season within the program.

- Ware is a Sophomore as well, though new to the system.  That said, effort is the bigger story than youth in his case.  Yes, maybe youth contributes to effort.  But, there are guys starring in the NBA right now with his skill set with similar youth.  Effort is not age dependent.

- That leaves us with 2, that's right, only TWO, guys on the team that should be able to make any sort of case regarding 'youth'. Mgbako and Cupps.  His Taco Bell incident indicates that Mgbako may have some growing to do off the court in addition to growth on the court.  Cupps, frankly, is not ready to be a major contributor on a winning high-major team.

Nope, outside of the two freshman, the 'young' narrative is garbage.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 5

Watching the KY/MO game last night, one of the announcers said that the difference in KY this year versus recent years is having shooters all over the floor. He said that most believe you drive to create shots, but it's actually the opposite. Shooters spread the floor and create driving opportunities. 

This team is going nowhere until it adds multiple shooters. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes I get what you're saying, but again, if having the ingredients we did last year and what was supposedly such a good job from Woodson, resulted in what it resulted in as the ceiling then what does that tell us?

Having players that special that were that in tune with their coach should have resulted in more, and a down year shouldn't be this down. We had a generational player in TJD, we had a lottery pick point guard, we had two more guys playing pro ball with a ton of experience and skillset (although criminally underutilized in the case of Kopp).... and we got blown out in round 2 and didn't compete for a conference title? And that's when we do have all the ingredients?

.....bottom line. This team reminds me of a car when the check engine light comes on. lol

image.png.e18f6faab02d347679298adef971c9ae.png

• Like 1