IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

Just now, KoB2011 said:

That puts so much pressure on a defense and it’s such a simple play. 

Also shows how important that CJ Gunn role is. We need a reliable perimeter scorer off the bench. 

Just not sold he can do what he did yesterday consistently. 

But, it allows us to play the style you, I and some others had been hoping for. 

• Like 3

Just now, BGleas said:

Also shows how important that CJ Gunn role is. We need a reliable perimeter scorer off the bench. 

Next game will be telling for CJ... Just let it come to you kid...don't try to do too much... 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Next game will be telling for CJ... Just let it come to you kid...don't try to do too much... 

Yup! Focus on defense first, the rest will take care of itself. 

His ability to contribute combined with XJ being g healthy, just changes so much for IU. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I am more excited but what he can offer us defensively.

Focus there, and let the rest come. That's my.hope.

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

For sure. Ton of credit to Woody sticking with CJG when he was having a great game and Mack wasn’t.

Even if it’s just at home the rest of this year, would be great to see CJ sustain some consistent high level play and build momentum into the offseason. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

He’s done a good job of playing more sound defense. His been able to get steals from day one, but he has been staying in better position recently. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Agreed. Same thing for Banks. I saw him pass on a couple shots yesterday. Play D and rebound and be the fifth option on O and don't force anything 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He’s done a good job of playing more sound defense. His been able to get steals from day one, but he has been staying in better position recently. 

Exactly. He needs to realize with his athleticism, he just needs to focus on fundamentals and execution. Not always going for the home run, on either end.

Be solid, be in the right place. The points and steals will come because he has the talent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree. But I think in the last 2 games I've seen a noticeable change in CJ. He looks much more relaxed, dialed in on D, and is letting the game come to him on the Offensive end.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Not surprised in the least that Michigan lost at PSU. It won’t be an easy or sure task for us either. Reality. 

I don't get why Michigan is in front of us in NET and Kenpom.  They really haven't done much to earn it.

If you compare us to some of the teams in conference that are ahead of us (like an Iowa), the difference in rating all comes down to us not beating up on the lesser teams we have played.  We have no losses outside of Q1 (Iowa has a Q3 loss) but we also have no Q1 wins and our Q3 and Q4 wins weren't blowouts.

• Like 2

This team really needs to find a way to win the next two, win one of Purdue, Illinois, and Wisconsin, and then beat Iowa. Also have to stay competitive in the games we do lose, we absolutely cannot get blown out again, don’t care who it’s against or where it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

@KoB2011 Checkout this possession with the smaller lineup. Look at the space Galloway has on the drive and hits Gunn for the open, rhythm 3!

Love this!

So, I am not and have never been a coach, but....

I think this type of team build is our best lineups to put on the floor and if guys bought in, you could really pressure teams.  For instance, start XJ, Galloway, CJ, Mgbako, and Reneau.  Have Cupps in the guard rotation, Walker and Banks rotating in with Mgbako and CJ, and Ware for Reneau.

That is a potential 9 man rotation and you could bring in Sparks and Leal if foul trouble pops up or you just want to try and light a fire.

The main person to convince would be Ware.

38 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So, I am not and have never been a coach, but....

I think this type of team build is our best lineups to put on the floor and if guys bought in, you could really pressure teams.  For instance, start XJ, Galloway, CJ, Mgbako, and Reneau.  Have Cupps in the guard rotation, Walker and Banks rotating in with Mgbako and CJ, and Ware for Reneau.

That is a potential 9 man rotation and you could bring in Sparks and Leal if foul trouble pops up or you just want to try and light a fire.

The main person to convince would be Ware.

Tmim guessing the biggest problem would be Mbako and Reneau getting abused defensively.  Last night, insert Walker, that d was nasty down the stretch.  Then Ware came back in and made a huge defensive play out on the perimeter knocking down a pass.  The d was going.  Now gotta rebound with the same intensity.   

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yup! Focus on defense first, the rest will take care of itself. 

His ability to contribute combined with XJ being g healthy, just changes so much for IU. 

Still waiting to see his consistency, but something that stuck out to me yesterday that I think illustrates his growth:

After hitting a three on a recent previous possession, Gunn received a pass semi-open at the three point line.  In the past, he would have let it fly with a defender in his face.  Last night, he pump-faked, put it on the floor, and drained a wide open two point jumper.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Not sure how interesting our useful these videos will be but I was able to capture some Indiana made baskets when we only had one big on the floor. Offensively our best team on paper is having Ware and Malik on the floor but the offense is less dynamic. For the most part these possessions appear to have significantly better spacing than they do with both Ware and Malik on the floor. 

Those were all easy looks, this isn't the first game we've seen our team be able to get some of these looks. We just need to stick with this type of offense IMO. The staff did a great job adjusting yesterday, I really hope they don't revert back to some of the less effective stuff we have run a lot of this year.

I do think we can still run a lot of this type of stuff with both Malik and Ware in - they're both versatile enough allow for that. They need to understand (and the staff needs to make it clear/teach them to do this) that they've got to keep spacing even when they're both in. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Those were all easy looks, this isn't the first game we've seen our team be able to get some of these looks. We just need to stick with this type of offense IMO. The staff did a great job adjusting yesterday, I really hope they don't revert back to some of the less effective stuff we have run a lot of this year.

I do think we can still run a lot of this type of stuff with both Malik and Ware in - they're both versatile enough allow for that. They need to understand (and the staff needs to make it clear/teach them to do this) that they've got to keep spacing even when they're both in. 

The videos weren't working on my end so I deleted the comment. 

I agree with prioritizing the even spacing. Additionally, the ball needs to move quicker when Malik and or Ware get the ball. I understand that there might be trust issues with our shooters but we have to be able to the get them the ball quickly before the defense adjusts. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

The videos weren't working on my end so I deleted the comment. 

I agree with prioritizing the even spacing. Additionally, the ball needs to move quicker when Malik and or Ware get the ball. I understand that there might be trust issues with our shooters but we have to be able to the get them the ball quickly before the defense adjusts. 

100%. Three of the buckets Malik got were exactly what we need.

Caught one on a PnR, took one dribble (awkward but still) and put up an easy little 10' hook in the lane.

Caught on the right block, spun left shoulder for an easy layup.

Fake entry to him on the left block, spun for an easy alley oop.

When we play this way, not only does it allow for better shooting (which guys.... we are actually a really good shooting team we just need to take them) but it makes Malik and Ware have a really easy time scoring. When you look at our losses, we largely didn't play this type of offense and Malik and Ware had a tough time scoring efficiently, because good teams aren't going to let them shoot 65% from 2 with nothing else to worry about. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Good news…we’re up to 156th in the nation on 3 pt shooting at 34%. The bad news is we’re #350 out of 351 on shots attempted per game at 14.3 - classic “glass half full”.

It seems like a really clear opportunity for improvement for this team. Our three point shooting since the start of December is elite - we need to play to our strengths. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Good news…we’re up to 156th in the nation on 3 pt shooting at 34%. The bad news is we’re #350 out of 351 on shots attempted per game at 14.3 - classic “glass half full”.

i think what i have learned is that you should focus on the good right now.  mention the bad when we lose at Rutgers.  

Assuming we can win at Butgers we should have 3 more wins against Minnesota twice and Maryland at home. Neither of those wins are guaranteed based on our issues. That's seven wins. On paper we should be able to beat both NW and Penn State at home giving us 9 wins. That leaves us with 10 more Big Ten games. 

2x Purdue

2x Wisconsin 

Home: Iowa, Nebraska, MSU 

Away: Illinois, Ohio State, Penn State. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

Still waiting to see his consistency, but something that stuck out to me yesterday that I think illustrates his growth:

After hitting a three on a recent previous possession, Gunn received a pass semi-open at the three point line.  In the past, he would have let it fly with a defender in his face.  Last night, he pump-faked, put it on the floor, and drained a wide open two point jumper.  

Gunn should’ve shot the 3 instead of the pull up two on that play imo. It feels like IU as a team is way too content to settle for mid range shots.