IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In that case, then yes... 90s we're about average...

But that's not the way I interpreted your response to the question 

We were talking about Woodson's defense and if he used the same defense in the NBA. Back then they used the 3 a lot less so this kind of defense probably worked better because the close outs wasn't as long.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We were talking about Woodson's defense and if he used the same defense in the NBA. Back then they used the 3 a lot less so this kind of defense probably worked better because the close outs wasn't as long.

Not sure why you're isolating this Pistons team though? Woodson wasn't even a head coach at that point. 

He was an NBA head coach as recently as 2013-14 and an assistant as recently as 2020-21. 

It's not like he hasn't coached in the modern NBA, and in the modern NBA you can't play defense with that overhelping. 

With all of that said, I think the point still applies to his Pistons days as well. The shooting and passing in the NBA has always been too good for that. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not sure why you're isolating this Pistons team though? Woodson wasn't even a head coach at that point. 

He was an NBA head coach as recently as 2013-14 and an assistant as recently as 2020-21. 

It's not like he hasn't coached in the modern NBA, and in the modern NBA you can't play defense with that overhelping. 

With all of that said, I think the point still applies to his Pistons days as well. The shooting and passing in the NBA has always been too good for that. 

I’m just baffled on why he wouldn’t bring the NBA defense to college? Where and why does he have this philosophy it’s maddening to watch.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Because I am pretty sure Woodson said Larry Brown is who influenced him on how he wanted to play defense. Could he wrong

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Because I am pretty sure Woodson said Larry Brown is who influenced him on how he wanted to play defense. Could he wrong

Ok, but he's got 8.5 years as a head coach that he can be judged on in terms of his style, and those years are closer to the modern style. 

Regardless, the point is that overhelping would never work in the NBA on a consistent basis and a scheme. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Really, never would figure that out. Just saying most teams gives up 110+ points which probably be the equivalent of a college team giving up 85

That’s more to do with the quality of the offense than the quality of the defense.

I can’t imagine going through life as angry as you seem to be today. You okay bud?

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am great, two of my granddaughters are here for the weekend. Just got them to bed and it has been a great holiday.. watching the Pacers and all of this great defense in the NBA.

Is your takeaway from the pacers game really that NBA defenses are worse than college? I see some insanely talented players making great plays and shots. The shot and play making vs college is night and day.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Is your takeaway from the pacers game really that NBA defenses are worse than college? I see some insanely talented players making great plays and shots. The shot and play making vs college is night and day.

I will say there is a lot of players resting on the defensive end. If they would put consistent effort then the defense would be a lot better. You can't think the Pacers are a good defensive team. They give up over 124 ppg

Just now, IU Scott said:

I will say there is a lot of players resting on the defensive end. If they would put consistent effort then the defense would be a lot better. You can't think the Pacers are a good defensive team. They give up over 124 ppg

They play 48 minutes and a 24 second shot clock. They are also playing NBA teams that have several multi-dimensional players, unlike college. Compared to other NBA teams they aren’t good on defense. Compared to college teams, they’d be the best defensive team by a country mile.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Defenses in the NBA are way more sophisticated than in college. The difference is that in the NBA the rules make it almost impossible to play defense and the offensive players are infinitely better than in college. 

The Pacers could beat Purdue by over 100 if they played college rules and college refs. It would be like 130 - 30.

The skill gap between an average NBA team and the best college team is enormous. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kdug said:

They play 48 minutes and a 24 second shot clock. They are also playing NBA teams that have several multi-dimensional players, unlike college. Compared to other NBA teams they aren’t good on defense. Compared to college teams, they’d be the best defensive team by a country mile.

Didn't say the college defense was better. Just commenting on someone saying why Woodson didn't bring the NBA defense with him. I was pretty much joking because most teams are giving up a lot of points. I think giving up 110 in the NBA is a equivalent of a college team giving up 85 points which nobody would be happy with.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Wow...

I think that clip is from the year after the good year, when he got fired in the middle of the season.

No idea what went into the roster construction changes, but from the year they made ECSF to the year he got fired they changed from a guard heavy lineup to a big heavy lineup. 

• Like 1