IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2023/12/30/iu-basketball-enters-big-ten-schedule-needing-to-be-better-everywhere/71990545007/

“Maybe this is all Indiana is. Maybe the Hoosiers are nothing more than a mediocre team (No. 87 in KenPom at time of writing) with too few strengths and too many limitations to play their way into the tournament come March.”

“The Hoosiers need Xavier Johnson back. They need the best of Trey Galloway basically all the time. They need to shoot more 3s and allow far fewer of them. They need to be better on both offense and defense, and according to Pomeroy’s current forecasts, they’re projected within six points either way — favorite or underdog — in 13 of their remaining 18 Big Ten games.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2023/12/30/iu-basketball-enters-big-ten-schedule-needing-to-be-better-everywhere/71990545007/

“Maybe this is all Indiana is. Maybe the Hoosiers are nothing more than a mediocre team (No. 87 in KenPom at time of writing) with too few strengths and too many limitations to play their way into the tournament come March.”

“The Hoosiers need Xavier Johnson back. They need the best of Trey Galloway basically all the time. They need to shoot more 3s and allow far fewer of them. They need to be better on both offense and defense, and according to Pomeroy’s current forecasts, they’re projected within six points either way — favorite or underdog — in 13 of their remaining 18 Big Ten games.”

Say it ain’t so.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Completely unnecessary overhelping is killing our defense. We're not even making the offense work for completely wide open 3's. 

It's like half a dribble toward the lane and one pass...boom wide open 3. 

I’m convinced it’s just Woody’s scheme at this point. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Only works if we’re rebounding machines and are able to make volume threes ourselves. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m convinced it’s just Woody’s scheme at this point. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Only works if we’re rebounding machines and are able to make volume threes ourselves. 

My opinion is that it's all tied to the overhelping. You see in that clip the overhelping has us constantly out of position, resulting in flying by shooters and pump fakes, which causes even more scrambling and helping. 

All of that results in giving up open shots, driving lanes and ultimately offensive rebounds. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely unnecessary overhelping is killing our defense. We're not even making the offense work for completely wide open 3's. 

Great cut up by Tony!  I am not a coach but I noticed the same thing.  The other thing that’s hard to see in those cut ups is the fact that we often sit in a help situation even where it becomes illogical.  Like if you are weighing your risks, you select the wrong one.  I honestly think this is a big reason for why we give up 3’s at an alarming rate.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great cut up by Tony!  I am not a coach but I noticed the same thing.  The other thing that’s hard to see in those cut ups is the fact that we often sit in a help situation even where it becomes illogical.  Like if you are weighing your risks, you select the wrong one.  I honestly think this is a big reason for why we give up 3’s at an alarming rate.  

Our staff has also stated that we think we can be the team that wins by getting a lot of twos and guarding twos. It’s schematic and intentional IMO.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My opinion is that it's all tied to the overhelping. You see in that clip the overhelping has us constantly out of position, resulting in flying by shooters and pump fakes, which causes even more scrambling and helping. 

All of that results in giving up open shots, driving lanes and ultimately offensive rebounds. 

It’s brutal!! I’m so sick of watching it…

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yep.  The slightest dribble penetration causes next closest defender to step out of position and a quick little pass to the wing finds a guy stepping right into a rhythm three.  One our offense is mostly incapable of producing for some reason or another.  Maybe once X returns and can get into the paint at will.  Doubt it.  That still doesn't change the defensive philosophy.   

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Our staff has also stated that we think we can be the team that wins by getting a lot of twos and guarding twos. It’s schematic and intentional IMO.

It’s absolutely intentional. We’ve seen it now for 3 years. Similar to some of the head scratching subbing…CMW is absolutely convinced this is the way to go despite some glaring evidence that shows otherwise.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yup, that's exactly what I mean when I've been saying "unnecessary overhelping". 

We do it in situations where there's no need. We set-up in overhelp before anything has even happened to cause helpside. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup, that's exactly what I mean when I've been saying "unnecessary overhelping". 

We do it in situations where there's no need. We set-up in overhelp before anything has even happened to cause helpside. 

As most are aware, we also have tremendous shot blocking/rim protection. You would think this would limit the extreme and unnecessary overhelping.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

As most are aware, we also have tremendous shot blocking/rim protection. You would think this would limit the extreme and unnecessary overhelping.

That's partly what is so puzzling about it. You'd think we'd funnel guys into Ware and protect the perimeter. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

But when he started coaching in Detroit the league was so much different. They had the top rated defense in the NBA but teams didn't shoot the 3 like they do now.

Not really the point. I'm sure the defense IU is running today is somewhat different than what the Detroit Pistons ran 20 years ago. 

Regardless of the era, you can't overhelp that much in the NBA and get away with it. The shooters are too good. 

That Pistons teams also had phenomenal individual defensive talent. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not really the point. I'm sure the defense IU is running today is somewhat different than what the Detroit Pistons ran 20 years ago. 

Regardless of the era, you can't overhelp that much in the NBA and get away with it. The shooters are too good. 

That Pistons teams also had phenomenal individual defensive talent. 

The thing is that that back then the close outs were shorter because they didn't spread the floor out like they do now.