IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

28 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Reserving judgment.  Offense didn't look any more fast paced or open to me, but what do I know. MM looked good. Tennessee will tell us a lot.

I do think they were still standing around too much on offense. That scares me a bit along with the shooting, but I’m not going to panic yet over  a 12 minute scrimmage. 

The more I’ve thought about it since last night, I was more impressed with the individual parts than the whole as of now. The other will come in time. 

The thing about the Tennessee game is that we have no idea how far along they are at this point of the season.  It’s a heck of an interesting exhibition game though. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I do think they were still standing around too much on offense. That scares me a bit along with the shooting, but I’m not going to panic yet over  a 12 minute scrimmage. 

The more I’ve thought about it since last night, I was more impressed with the individual parts than the whole as of now. The other will come in time. 

The thing about the Tennessee game is that we have no idea how far along they are at this point of the season.  It’s a heck of an interesting exhibition game though. 

There was more movement than the past 3 years. The ball moved a lot faster. Still more work needs to be done in that area.

Few first impressions after the watching HH.

If last night is any indicator I would say your starting 5 will kick off with Rice, Carlyle, Bako, Reneau, Ballo. Who woulda thought.

Offense looked the same but with different pieces/players. We are going to have to knock down shots to win big.

Ballo I'm sure has more than we were able to witness in practice bit he wasn't the Shaq type presence I expected. Seemed to get winded easy. I actually thought Hatton was more impressive. As I watch these bigs I am once again reminded of how good Trace really was. Malik is easily our best big overall.

Rice is very unselfish as is Carlyle. I think I caught a hint of a dynamic duo at one point. They will definitely need to be more selfish and hit some shots if we plan to win many games. Rice gives 100+ at all times.

Goode reminded me of Kopp. Bout it. 

Already a Tucker fan. He was pretty vocal out there a couple of times and raw talent wise, best pickup of the off season. He will be a dandy. I just hope his time here isn't wasted with a clogged lane of bigs.

MM could nail 12 consecutive threes in warmups but clanks in game setting. Frustrating.

Overall. Looked like more of the same but with much more potential in the guards slot.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I'm cautiously optimistic.  I like the talent level.  We have a number by our name.  We have a weak out of conference schedule.  Ready for the season!

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I'm cautiously optimistic.  I like the talent level.  We have a number by our name.  We have a weak out of conference schedule.  Ready for the season!

Yea, I agree. The pieces are in place. We need to have some beat downs in that OOC schedule to keep the NET up. I think they’re up to the challenge. 

Too soon to get ahead of ourselves about some things for now since CMW didn't really ask a ton of them. New team, mainly a fanfare event, etc. 

Plus, Galloway and Newton were both held out. Either or both on the floor at a given moment likely brings a whole different voltage level so to speak to the team.

Some players have that higher vibration naturally and everyone one else around them just moves differentlly when an infectious energy level is present on the floor. 

IU has some guys who could really learn to open things up for each other and talent to take advantage if the lineups get combined in a complimentary way.  Shall see how being put into position to win goes when it's for actual W's and L's. 

The HH scrimmage was fun but tells us only a few things. One being Ballo and MR can, and likely will, play together. Also, Ballo has more offensive skill than I thought.

Overall, this team needs to play sound team ball because they do not appear to be a top athletic roster. Maybe that changes when Galloway and/or Newton can play. And shooting is still a question mark. 

Way too early for any locked in conclusions and never take a scrimmage as anything more than a small picture of what could be. The Tenneessee scrimmage will provide another piece of the puzzle, but it's still just a scrimmage.

17 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

The HH scrimmage was fun but tells us only a few things. One being Ballo and MR can, and likely will, play together. Also, Ballo has more offensive skill than I thought.

Overall, this team needs to play sound team ball because they do not appear to be a top athletic roster. Maybe that changes when Galloway and/or Newton can play. And shooting is still a question mark. 

Way too early for any locked in conclusions and never take a scrimmage as anything more than a small picture of what could be. The Tenneessee scrimmage will provide another piece of the puzzle, but it's still just a scrimmage.

I agree about Ballo and Reneau, but I have a really hard time thinking Newton is going to be a factor at this point.  Sure hope he is though.  I actually feel like the addition of Rice and Carlyle give us decent athleticism, but we definitely need to play good bball bc we still don't look like a great shooting team.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I actually feel like the addition of Rice and Carlyle give us decent athleticism, but we definitely need to play good bball bc we still don't look like a great shooting team.    

Shooting %s of IU’s most prominent perimeter players:

Rice. (44%, 28%)

Carlyle (39%, 32%)

Mgbako (40%, 33%)

Galloway (47%, 26%)
Goode (40%, 39%)

Cupps (36%, 36%)

Mgbako improved late in the season. He and Goode are the best perimeter threats, but probably won’t play a lot of minutes together. 

maybe this was stated somewhere BUT seems as if there are conflicting responses when it comes to Newton.  Newton has said(maybe I read wrong) that he is good to go, however, the staff is being overly cautious with him given his surgery and a set back that occurred. 

Is there real optimism that Newton plays this season?  or no?

51 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

maybe this was stated somewhere BUT seems as if there are conflicting responses when it comes to Newton.  Newton has said(maybe I read wrong) that he is good to go, however, the staff is being overly cautious with him given his surgery and a set back that occurred. 

Is there real optimism that Newton plays this season?  or no?

No inside info but I'm assuming he will definitely play. I think he will be eased into the rotation and his play along with the performance of the others will determine how many minutes he gets

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

No inside info but I'm assuming he will definitely play. I think he will be eased into the rotation and his play along with the performance of the others will determine how many minutes he gets

if he can get some run(not a lot but 6-8 mins or so per game maybe as the season progresses) and come out of this season healthy it would be a HUGE boost to the team for 25-26.  I know the staff raves about his potential.  It would almost be like an incoming transfer for the 25-26 season seeing how he hadn't touched the floor yet for meaningful minutes since his arrival at IU given his unfortunate circumstances

'

• Like 1

On 10/19/2024 at 9:44 AM, Fkfootball said:

Because it won't be. Woodson just says what people want to hear. I figured that out at Hubers. But they did space the floor and shoot more 3s in this scrimmage so there is that. With the amount of good players on this team, 25 wins should be the minimum.

I'm confused.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Shooting %s of IU’s most prominent perimeter players:

Rice. (44%, 28%)

Carlyle (39%, 32%)

Mgbako (40%, 33%)

Galloway (47%, 26%)
Goode (40%, 39%)

Cupps (36%, 36%)

Mgbako improved late in the season. He and Goode are the best perimeter threats, but probably won’t play a lot of minutes together. 

Yeah.  I feel like we should be a little better.  Thing about those stats is Cupps and Goode are the two highest and they won't be playing starter minutes.  Really hoping Mgbako will be a killer and that Rice shoots well!

20 hours ago, Reacher said:

It would be awesome if he was a factor, but count me skeptical of him being ready to go and then good enough after this long to get meaningful minutes over Rice, Carlyle, Mgbako, Reneau, Ballo, Goode, Galloway, Tucker.  Not counting Cupps and Hatton.  Not sure a guy who is fighting for #9-12 will be much of a factor.  

Would love to see Goode get that extra year.  He’s oozing leadership.   He’s the classic guy where the game gets easier for him as he develops and gets older.  No matter what level you played, just remember how much easier it was as a senior as compared with as a freshman.   If you’re 22-23 years old and you’re playing an 18 year old, that can be huge.  You will also be naturally more confident and assertive.  The difference between 23 and 18 is massive.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

My expectations for this season (not that they matter lol):

- top 2 in big ten at a minimum

- Regular season big ten champs

- playing in the final game in the big ten tourney

- Sweet 16 appearance at a minimum

This is kinda like a square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square lol

• Haha 2