IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

This season is frustrating but I fully expect IU to go all out in the portal this year. Woodson knows he needs to get this roster fixed and there will need to be several additions. He is running out of time to get this roster and program to were he wanted it before riding off into retirement.

What guard is going to what to come and play at IU in offense that pounds the ball inside and doesn’t shoot 3’s…kinda tough to recruit in this style 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I do think this is accurate, and you’d certainly know better than most. But it also shows why the excuses we’ve heard about how they tried last offseason fall flat.

This staff completely failed putting together the roster and fails schematically. It’s giving us a season that may wind up one of the worst in program history if something doesn’t change for the better. 

To me the roster isn’t good enough. Scheme could make things a little better but not much. They lack guards/wings and that goes back to last year in the portal when Woodson didn’t feel the need to go get a guard that wasn’t a true upgrade in his opinion. What he didn’t think about was depth and it’s hitting the team now because of Newton being out with injury and X being X.

7 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

What guard is going to what to come and play at IU in offense that pounds the ball inside and doesn’t shoot 3’s…kinda tough to recruit in this style 

I've had that worry as well.  The staff will have to convince players we are going to play a style that is appealing to guards and perimeter players.  

We might be getting ready to test just how strong our alleged NIL prowess really is.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

IU doesn’t have guards that shoot it well. It’s just a sad reality that’s the fault of the coaches with who they’ve recruited. They can convince guys to come if they go all in on getting them.

Edited by DC2345
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

IU doesn’t have guards that shoot it well. It’s just a sad reality that’s the fault of the coaches with who they’ve recruited 

True! But The Scheme of playing 2 bigs with one sitting on each block and playing “buddy ball” isn’t a great attraction if I’m a top tier guard..I’ve wanted IU to play smaller, faster, and shoot more 3’s the last 2 years. I’ve always wanted to try Mack at 4 this year. Has never happened. It seems like our offense looked the best in games like Kennesaw ( we scored 100) is when we play 1 big…Ware was out that game from Covid so we went small..or the Minnesota game when Malik was in foul trouble so we went small.

Look at the final 4 the last couple years…is there a swingle team that plays how we do with 2 bigs?? I’m honestly curious..Miami kicked our butt and went to final 4..:they started 4 guards

• Like 3

One (albeit small) positive of this season bottoming out is it makes it harder for anyone to have excuses or claim we were “one bounce away” or anything like that. I’ll never root for losses but hopefully the coaching staff recognizes that big changes are needed if they want to have a successful season next year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I've had that worry as well.  The staff will have to convince players we are going to play a style that is appealing to guards and perimeter players.  

We might be getting ready to test just how strong our alleged NIL prowess really is.  

Totally squandered our one season with JHS. Got zero recruiting benefit 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Here's where I'm at assuming this season continues as it has gone. I think Woodson deserves more time. There are many cases of coaches taking over a program and having some success with the previous staff's roster and adding around the edges the first two seasons, then struggling in year 3/4, then taking off after that. 

With all of that said, if I'm Scott Dolson, whether Woodson deserves more time isn't the question I'd be asking. More than ever, college basketball and football are essentially pro sports and are operated as such.

If I'm Dolson, the question I'm asking after the season is, "what is your plan to turn this around?" As the AD, I need to be happy with that plan. If I'm happy, then we soldier on and I expect Woodson to execute that plan. If I'm not happy with that plan, then I need to make a move. 

As the AD, I need to believe that Woodson has the plan that will accomplish the goals we've agreed to. 

I'll reference my Philadelphia Eagles. When they moved on from Doug Pederson that is exactly what happened. The plan initially wasn't to fire him. After that 4-win season the owner met with him to hear is plan to turn it around. Pederson's plan was basically to keep doing what they're doing. No staff changes, no system changes, etc.

That is when the Eagles made the move. After the plan wasn't what the owner wanted to see. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

To me the roster isn’t good enough. Scheme could make things a little better but not much. They lack guards/wings and that goes back to last year in the portal when Woodson didn’t feel the need to go get a guard that wasn’t a true upgrade in his opinion. What he didn’t think about was depth and it’s hitting the team now because of Newton being out with injury and X being X.

Yes the roster is flawed, but when I can point to the same issues every year Woodson has been here it isn’t just a roster issue.

Let’s be honest, if you took away his record against Purdue he would have almost zero support. He deserves credit for beating them and that record, but this program has glaring flaws that couldn’t even be covered up with having four pro players on last years team.

This team currently has at least three but made four guys that would have a chance to play pro basketball if they wanted to after the season. The roster is far from perfect but there is substantially more than enough talent to not be this bad. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

True! But The Scheme of playing 2 bigs with one sitting on each block and playing “buddy ball” isn’t a great attraction if I’m a top tier guard..I’ve wanted IU to play smaller, faster, and shoot more 3’s the last 2 years. I’ve always wanted to try Mack at 4 this year. Has never happened. It seems like our offense looked the best in games like Kennesaw ( we scored 100) is when we play 1 big…Ware was out that game from Covid so we went small..or the Minnesota game when Malik was in foul trouble so we went small.

Look at the final 4 the last couple years…is there a swingle team that plays how we do with 2 bigs?? I’m honestly curious..Miami kicked our butt and went to final 4..:they started 4 guards

While I get what you’re saying about the 2 bigs there’s a problem with it. IU has to play Reneau and Ware or they can’t stay in a game with anyone. Now I do blame Woodson for limiting most of the roster to just one position for example he seems to only play MM as a 3. That said those two have to be on the floor. 

15 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

While I get what you’re saying about the 2 bigs there’s a problem with it. IU has to play Reneau and Ware or they can’t stay in a game with anyone. Now I do blame Woodson for limiting most of the roster to just one position for example he seems to only play MM as a 3. That said those two have to be on the floor. 

I think we would be better splitting the minutes between those 2 or playing Malik or Ware more on the outside could also be a combination of the both to open up the lane and play more modern 

Edited by 5 championships

34 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

They don’t have to both clog up the paint just because they’re in the game. That’s a coaching problem. Both are multi skilled and versatile enough to be used in various ways. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That was Kelvin Sampson's last year wasn't it?  What a fall from grace from there.

Yea. We started season 17-1. I remember when we lost to Uconn in January...they snapped our awesome home win streak. I think we had won around 35 games in a row at AH.

Edited by Hoosier987

5 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I want to win.  If they do to, their money hasn't been getting them that.

Well, it’s hard to buy wins unless you pay the refs, lol.  As far as paying for the means to get wins, there are a lot of different and sometimes wild opinions about how to do that, even among people with money.

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

How many banners would we have with Sampson?? Houston is at least top 25 every year…sad our administration ruined that 

It just baffles me. So many former players were so against him but the product he put on the floor was exactly what they have been screaming for since he left.

47 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

It just baffles me. So many former players were so against him but the product he put on the floor was exactly what they have been screaming for since he left.

It wasn't the calls, it was the drugs and lack of academics that everyone hates him for.  The team was a dumpster fire of talent.  He was/is a fantastic coach and has proved it throughout his whole coaching career.  For some reason though, at Indiana he let the patients run the asylum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

How many banners would we have with Sampson?? Houston is at least top 25 every year…sad our administration ruined that 

The administration didn’t ruin it by getting rid of Sampson. That needed to happen because of the culture he built around the program. However the administration did ruin things by pretty much everything thing they’ve done since they fired Sampson including the self appointed probation and all of that stupidity. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

gonna do the same with Ware and Mtaco

Mbagko isn’t on any of the latest draft boards I’ve seen. So he’d either have to finish the year very strong or transfer to be here just one year.

4 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Or he’ll go pro anyway and go in the G league or overseas. 

Certainly possible. But that doesn’t seem like an attractive option for a freshman with NIL now.

A G League deal would have to be a two way deal for it to remotely be attractive, and it probably wouldn’t be guaranteed if he goes undrafted. Going overseas would be a tougher route to making it to the NBA if that’s his goal.

I just have to think he’ll be back in college if he doesn’t think he’ll get drafted. With the portal that doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll be back at IU though.