IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

43 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I get that part of it for sure. 

I think a part of that conversation was saving that for all of the '24 recruits we were supposed to get. with that spot we have 2 open remaining as it stands. KW going pro makes 3

I was okay with banking that at the time.

I dont think you ever need to bank scholarships in this day and age, especially with NIL, etc.  

You need a scholarship, you create room for it. It's just how it is now. Guys want to get NIL money and have zero transfer restrictions, well that's a two-way street. 

But as others have said, we don't have a lack of scholarships for 2024. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Leal, XJ, and Walker is already three. I don't think coming into the season we should have been planning on more than a year of Ware or Mgbako. Plus an over-sign spot. 

You use the open scholarship for a guy who either has just one year left or who can being a multi-year contributor, you still have plenty left for '24 and beyond. That's not even getting into the possibility of guys transferring out.

I think a lot of people didn't like the idea of banking it at the time and it's come back to bite us. We chose to come into the season with two injury prone proven guards, and injury prone incoming freshman, a freshman that profiled as a guy we likely couldn't count on for major production (and that's been true despite him having some really nice attributes), and a sophomore coming of an erratic (to put it kindly) freshman season. 

Leal has Covid 5th year still. 

What were the options at guard for the last spot?

Calling XJ injury prone is a bit of a stretch even for this argument. missing time for a broken foot is not injury prone. He has played in 33, 33, 18 (sat out half the season to transfer, 34 games. 

When you have 2? Like XJ & Newton

When Leal is basically a walk on 

Cupps is a freshman 

Why not get a grad transfer for a year ?

It’s not like it would affect the culture….judging by the effort so far 

Honesty…who is leading this team ?

CMW is hoping somebody steps up because Race & Trayce aren’t walking through that door 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Leal has Covid 5th year still. 

What were the options at guard for the last spot?

Calling XJ injury prone is a bit of a stretch even for this argument. missing time for a broken foot is not injury prone. He has played in 33, 33, 18 (sat out half the season to transfer, 34 games. 

It’s pretty clear Leal isn’t coming back.

There were several guards we missed on, but it doesn’t it doesn't take much to see all the transfer guards around the country making an impact that we weren’t even in on.

X may not have been considered injury prone, but counting on a guy coming off of a season ending injury to give you a full season the next year is still not smart. 

58 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It’s pretty clear Leal isn’t coming back.

There were several guards we missed on, but it doesn’t it doesn't take much to see all the transfer guards around the country making an impact that we weren’t even in on.

X may not have been considered injury prone, but counting on a guy coming off of a season ending injury to give you a full season the next year is still not smart. 

Again, you are using current knowledge to form these arguments.

Was it known Leal was gone in may? If so, show me where it was stated.

you kind of arguing my point here. What were the guards we were “in on” to take that last scholly? Names? 

lastly, again you are distorting truths to argue points. When does a broken bone need to be in consideration for re-injury. I have had 5. Never broken them again. This is not a ligament issue. Concussion issue. 

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Again, you are using current knowledge to form these arguments.

Was it known Leal was gone in may? If so, show me where it was stated.

you kind of arguing my point here. What were the guards we were “in on” to take that last scholly? Names? 

lastly, again you are distorting truths to argue points. When does a broken bone need to be in consideration for re-injury. I have had 5. Never broken them again. This is not a ligament issue. Concussion issue. 

I was bringing up all of these points in the offseason. I was far from the only person doing so…

I am not sure what your point is on Leal. Leal getting a fifth year at IU is not only up to Leal. The staff had no reason to plan on holding a scholarship for him for a fifth season regardless of how he felt. (And pretty sure it was a very poorly kept secret after last season that this would be his last)

Caleb Love to be specific, but others like Timberlake. There are also tons of guys we didn’t even seem to get involved with that could have helped. Butler has I think three transfer guards contributing in a huge way. Are you telling me you think Butler has more to offer than IU?

Okay cool - X shouldn’t have been a concern coming off a season ending injury. Do you think having one proven guard who is injury prone and one who isn’t injury prone but did miss 70% of the prior season is adequate depth?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I was bringing up all of these points in the offseason. I was far from the only person doing so…

I am not sure what your point is on Leal. Leal getting a fifth year at IU is not only up to Leal. The staff had no reason to plan on holding a scholarship for him for a fifth season regardless of how he felt. (And pretty sure it was a very poorly kept secret after last season that this would be his last)

Caleb Love to be specific, but others like Timberlake. There are also tons of guys we didn’t even seem to get involved with that could have helped. Butler has I think three transfer guards contributing in a huge way. Are you telling me you think Butler has more to offer than IU?

Okay cool - X shouldn’t have been a concern coming off a season ending injury. Do you think having one proven guard who is injury prone and one who isn’t injury prone but did miss 70% of the prior season is adequate depth?

I'm really glad you brought up those two name's specifically. We were never "in on" Timberlake. and he seems like he would solve all of our problem averaging 3.2 points, 27% from three, 31% overall FG, .5 assists, .5 TO. 

Caleb Love was weird on how it played out. It didnt seem like many people wanted him. Could he work well with XJ? He wasn't efficient. Me Ball. Then everyone wanted him. If the Zoom call thing is in fact true, which it seems to be, why would you even want the player. Something major happened on that zoom call to where Woody didnt like him, or he didnt like Woody. That screams it wouldn't have been a good fit. Next two names?

We aren't arguing guard depth here. I am pretty sure we are all on the same page there. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

It’s interesting how many fans think players automatically get the Covid year at their current school. They are eligible to get it SOMEWHERE, but their current school isn’t obligated to give it to them. Gillis, Edey and Morton all could get one, but it won’t be at Purdue. 

17 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

It’s interesting how many fans think players automatically get the Covid year at their current school. They are eligible to get it SOMEWHERE, but their current school isn’t obligated to give it to them. Gillis, Edey and Morton all could get one, but it won’t be at Purdue. 

I think if Edey wanted it at Purdue you would find a way to make to work 🤣

Edit: I do love the idea of him coming to IU for a Covid year to see how fast some folks do a reversal on him. 

Edited by KoB2011

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Edit: I do love the idea of him coming to IU for a Covid year to see how fast some folks do a reversal on him. 

If he came to IU, the possessions he didn't get called for 3 seconds, he'd either get called for traveling or an offensive foul for shouldering/elbowing defenders out of the way :D 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Could he walk on, and use part of his $1 Million + in NIL to pay his tuition ? 

OR: How much would Kansas offer him next season, if they are paying Dickinson $2 million dollars this season ? 

39 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

You saying all three of those guys are definitely not coming back to Purdue for a 5th?  

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

You saying all three of those guys are definitely not coming back to Purdue for a 5th?  

Yes. In fact, not only are all of their scholarships already taken, we are oversigned by 1, so an additional underclassman will have to transfer out. 

With the advent of the NIL Free Agency Portal, Painter has changed his position on oversigning. 

Figured I'd put this here for more discussion. I really like what we've done offensively the last several games. We've largely gone away from the entire offense being dumping it into the low block with two bigs down there while everyone stands and watches. 

We've been using Galloway as the catalyst to creating offense and we're using the bigs in a much more dynamic way. We're bringing Galloway off DHO's and using him in chin action with the DHO being much closer to the basket so you can't go underneath, etc.

Galloway these last three games almost reminds me of XJ when he went on that run late in his first season at IU. During that run we almost exclusively played XJ/TJD in the high PnR and XJ was killing it. Galloway is playing with such great pace and is really in control of the action. We're using the bigs to create space now as opposed to clogging the space. 

Many of us have been calling for more 3's, but not just more volume, but creating more in rhythm shooting opportunities and that's what we've seen the last few games. The bigs are being used in DHO's, in ball screen action, horns, etc., away from the basket and then rolling or popping. 

It makes for a much more flowing offense and it helps to create confidence across the board.

I just really hope it continues, and I really like our prospects if XJ comes back healthy and can play in this system that is closer to what IU was doing in late-Feb and March 2022. I know he wasn't playing great before his injury, but neither was Galloway, and I think that was largely because of the style we were playing. 

Imagine Galloway playing like he has the last few games paired with XJ playing closer to how he played during that run and kind of handing the keys to the offense to them, with Cupps off the bench, and using them with our bigs in space and with pace to create offense for everyone. 

More rolling Ware lobs, more Reneau rolling to the basket in space or popping for his shot, more open looks for Mgbako, more Galloway and XJ getting to the basket and creating for everyone, more Walker diving to the rim, etc., etc.

Play offense like this and I think our ceiling raises a bit. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Figured I'd put this here for more discussion. I really like what we've done offensively the last several games. We've largely gone away from the entire offense being dumping it into the low block with two bigs down there while everyone stands an watches. 

We've been using Galloway as the catalyst to creating offense and we're using the bigs in a much more dynamic way. We're bringing Galloway off DHO's and using him in chin action with the DHO being much closer to the basket so you can't go underneath, etc.

Galloway these last three games almost reminds me of XJ when he went on that run late in his first season at IU. During that run we almost exclusively playing XJ/TJD in the high PnR and XJ was killing it. Galloway is playing with such great pace and is really in control of the action. We're using the bigs to create space now as opposed to clogging the space. 

Many of us have been calling for more 3's, but not just more volume, but creating more in rhythm shooting opportunities and that's what we've seen the last few games. The bigs are being used in DHO's, in ball screen action, horns, etc., away from the basket and then rolling or popping. 

It makes for a much more flowing offense and it helps to create confidence across the board.

I just really hope it continues, and I really like our prospects if XJ comes back healthy and can play in this system that is closer to what IU was doing in late-Feb and March 2022. I know he wasn't playing great before his injury, but neither was Galloway, and I think that was largely because of the style we were playing. 

Imagine Galloway playing like he has the last few games paired with XJ playing closer to how he played during that run and kind of handing the keys to the offense to them, with Cupps off the bench, and using them with our bigs in space and with pace to create offense for everyone. 

More Ware lobs, more Reneau rolling to the basket in space, more open looks for Mgbako, more Galloway and XJ getting to the basket and creating for everyone, more Walker diving to the rim, etc., etc.

Play offense like this and I think our ceiling raises a bit. 

This is spot on

when X gets back to game speed him and Galloway can pick the defender to go at. This adds so much versatility with Ware and Reneau. MM spotting up and driving. 

Add in Walker getting comfortable and this team might get there

• Like 1

Just now, 94hoosier said:

This is spot on

when X gets back to game speed him and Galloway can pick the defender to go at. This adds so much versatility with Ware and Reneau. MM spotting up and driving. 

Add in Walker getting comfortable and this team might get there

Yeah, I really think you hand the keys to the offense to Galloway and XJ and you let them play with freedom, pace and space. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I really think you hand the keys to the offense to Galloway and XJ and you let them play with freedom, pace and space. 

100000%

Lots of PnR, DHO, etc. to get them attacking down hill and then they've got lethal options to finish themselves, dump off/lob, kick to a shooter. 

• Like 4