IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

just to strike up conversation - thought on Cupps vs Braden Smith?  if Gabe was in Purdue's system and was the starting PG all season, would he be comparable to what Smith was last season?  just a random thing i was pondering.  thoughts?  

Hard to make sweeping judgments yet 

I’m 95% confident Smith will end up #1 in these career categories at Purdue 

assists 

steals 

triple doubles 

turnovers ???🫣

losses to 16 seeds 🤔

Cupps hasn’t been asked to be a dynamic offensive PG yet 

On the positive he’s been solid on defense 

Michael Lewis/PJ Thompson level PG?

You could do a lot worse 

PS. Doubt if any of those 3 would have 7 turnovers…..in a week 😳

1 minute ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Gabe moves his feet very well, and has nice lateral movement.  The last foul was all ball, but I guess on the road, they'll always call swiping down at the ball, even if it's clean.

I was gonna say he does have quickness and, as you said, good lateral movement, and he supplements it with good technique... You can definitely tell he's a coach's kid... 

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

I was gonna say he does have quickness and, as you said, good lateral movement, and he supplements it with good technique... You can definitely tell he's a coach's kid... 

Agree. And contrary to what Laphonso Ellis mentioned once every 30 seconds against Maryland, he is NOT an easy target on defense. Gabe anticipates well, is stronger than he appears, and doesn't back down from anyone. He's gonna be a fan favorite.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Agree. And contrary to what Laphonso Ellis mentioned once every 30 seconds against Maryland, he is NOT an easy target on defense. Gabe anticipates well, is stronger than he appears, and doesn't back down from anyone. He's gonna be a fan favorite.

The target 🎯 was MR both ways 

• Thanks 1

Just got to watch the MI game via replay (Thanks Hoosier Dave). 

It really reaffirms my belief that the offensive ceiling for this team will be determined by Gunn and Mgbako. Mgbako has such a pure stroke and his size is a great mismatch opportunity. He's made great strides over the past few games and as he gets more comfortable, he should be a reliable 15 ppg

Gunn is really the wildcard. He took one or two questionable shots, but otherwise played within the game. What he showed defensively will allow him to get more minutes. His length is such an asset on both ends of the floor.  It's notable that CMW was alternating offense/defense at the end with Mgbako and Gunn (as the defender). That should help him really stay within the flow of the offense and not be looking over his shoulder all the time. He can be that 12-15 ppg guy at the guard spot that we currently don't have.

Cupps defense on McDaniel was really good most of the game. He was also solid as a ball handler. We're using Reneau almost in a point forward role, so it takes some pressure off of Gabe running the offense, but he was sufficient with that. He needs to be able to knock down an open shot, but I'd be surprised if he adds much scoring this year. If Mgbako and Gunn develop as mentioned above, he really doesn't need to. Same is true for XJ when he comes back. Just make open shots, drive to the basket at times and distribute. 

Gallo had a really bad game (mostly because he missed layups he'd normally make). But the reality is, he's a one-level scorer who's realistically a single-digit ppg guy. His free throw shooting is a problem when he has to play at the end of games. If scoring increases from Mgbako and Gunn, Gallo can be that energy/glue guy that suits him. 

Ware and Reneau are the reliable workhorses. Mgbako and Gunn will determine this team's upside this year. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Holy crap!  My wife just surprised me this morning with my 50th birthday present... I am flying into Indy Dec 14 to meet my buddy who still lives in Btown to spend the weekend and go to see the Hoosiers play Kansas on the 16th!  I have been to a decent amount of games at The Hall, but haven't been to see a big time opponent since I was in college!

What a great gift! You realize now, that the bar has been set awfully damn high by your wife for reciprocation🤪

Have a great time. Enjoy the atmosphere win or lose. Wonder that now that you are 50 if you can get an AARP discount on those tickets😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

What a great gift! You realize now, that the bar has been set awfully damn high by your wife for reciprocation🤪

Have a great time. Enjoy the atmosphere win or lose. Wonder that now that you are 50 if you can get an AARP discount on those tickets😛

Ugh.  I feel VERY old.  And UGH... I know that sets the bar high and I am a terrible gift giver.  

57 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Holy crap!  My wife just surprised me this morning with my 50th birthday present... I am flying into Indy Dec 14 to meet my buddy who still lives in Btown to spend the weekend and go to see the Hoosiers play Kansas on the 16th!  I have been to a decent amount of games at The Hall, but haven't been to see a big time opponent since I was in college!

Happy Birthday! Make sure to report in while you are at the game!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I read they moved it up to the 14th.

And they have already started filming Reacher part 3!

It’s going to be weekly though; the final episode won’t come out until Jan 19th apparently. I’m probably going to wait until then - I hate waiting a week and semi-forgetting smaller details of what previously happened

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Ugh.  I feel VERY old.  And UGH... I know that sets the bar high and I am a terrible gift giver.  

You just have to come up with the equivalent weekend for her.  Or fly to Barcelona like we did for my wife’s 75th birthday.  🥳 Flowers and complimentary sparkling wine waiting when we arrived at the hotel.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Happy Birthday. Hope you get to experience a "Wat shot" kind of game.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

While you’re there ask a Kansas fan why the University of Kansas is KU

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Dude.  That is awesome!  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

My buddy just informed me that we will start the Kansas game 2 rows behind Kansas bench.  He said if we want we can change at half to 7th row in a different spot or go watch in the Club and have beers and snacks.  I'm already losing my mind and it's a week away!

I like that he is assuming you will have to relocate so you don't get kicked out after giving it to the KS bench 😁